Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 285706 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #860 on: 11 February 2010, 10:35 »

The Lotus of old had quite an advantage in their time. His name was Colin Chapman.

A legend and a crook. A proper brit :grin:

nick

whats the crook story?

live test commentary btw
http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/175

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #861 on: 11 February 2010, 10:40 »
I can't remember the details but he was involved in the DMC DeLorean debacle and some stuff to do with tax evasion.

Nick

Offline Komenda

• I live here
« Reply #862 on: 11 February 2010, 10:40 »

The Lotus of old had quite an advantage in their time. His name was Colin Chapman.

A legend and a crook. A proper brit :grin:

nick

whats the crook story?

live test commentary btw
http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/175

Aside from the fact that he was known to of 'borrowed' a few ideas from people, he was also (allegedly) involved in the DeLorean scam that duped the government out of £10m.

from the Telegraph

Perhaps Chapman's darkest hour came in 1978, when Lotus linked up with the American tycoon John Z DeLorean to develop a stainless steel sports car, to be built in a factory funded by the British government. What the government did not know, but what Chapman certainly did, was that the project was a scam.

Around £10 million went missing. Chapman died before the full deceit unravelled but at the subsequent trial of Fred Bushell, the Lotus accountant, the judge insisted that had Chapman himself been in the dock he would have received a sentence "of at least 10 years".
« Last Edit: 11 February 2010, 10:42 by Komenda »

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #863 on: 11 February 2010, 10:57 »
 :shocked:

he sounds a bit like Button's old man  :grin:

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #864 on: 11 February 2010, 11:00 »
:shocked:

he sounds a bit like Button's old man  :grin:

Ha ha I've read that thread on CGTI as well!

nick

Offline Stronz

• I live here
  • Sold!
« Reply #865 on: 11 February 2010, 14:35 »
New team FAIL!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8510697.stm

Adrian Newey must be feeling rather smug lol. He told Virgin that it was not advisable to design the car completely on computer, but they went ahead and didn't use a wind tunnel anyway!

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #866 on: 11 February 2010, 14:46 »
New team FAIL!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8510697.stm

Adrian Newey must be feeling rather smug lol. He told Virgin that it was not advisable to design the car completely on computer, but they went ahead and didn't use a wind tunnel anyway!

You have to try and fail though. If someone can get computer modelling to work it will save so much money on wind tunnels. Virgin have stated from the beginning they have no illusions of being a front running team. 9 secs off fastest runners is a bit poor but you just don't know how much fuel anyone is running. JB was 2nd quickest but it means nothing.

The first proper race weekend will be when we know for sure who's packing what.

nick

Offline Stronz

• I live here
  • Sold!
« Reply #867 on: 11 February 2010, 14:49 »
But still, the front wing falling off is a bit worrying. I know this is what testing is probably for, but you would have thought from a safety aspect they would have wanted to test the car at least once in the tunnel.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
« Reply #868 on: 11 February 2010, 15:06 »
Yo make a good point but even tunnel tested cars fal apart. Who's to say he didn't catch it on something while tooling around?

I think the lack of pre season testing is bad for F1, it should be limited but not as limitd as it is currently. I'm sure I read somewhere that even the teams that use tunnels have their tunnel time limited.

nick

Offline Stronz

• I live here
  • Sold!
« Reply #869 on: 11 February 2010, 15:15 »
Yeah probably - part of Bernie and Max's cost cutting scheme more than likely  :rolleyes:

Plus it didn't stop anything falling off the Brawn last year, and we know how that ended (well Massa does anyway).