Author Topic: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?  (Read 652515 times)

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your Mk6 today then?
« Reply #3180 on: 11 February 2023, 16:14 »
It's normally the pump but as you say best to check.
Could not find any leak after a good poke round in and under the engine bay. 120 mile round trip and no drop in coolant level and normal temp. Not sure what is going on.  :huh:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3181 on: 12 February 2023, 09:02 »
Could not find any leak after a good poke round in and under the engine bay. 120 mile round trip and no drop in coolant level and normal temp. Not sure what is going on.  :huh:

Hi joe6, I had a similar thing last January with mine also suffering a mysterious drop in coolant levels. Yet no pink fluid on my garage floor or noticible in the engine bay.  The mechanic eventually found a small hole in my radiator that must have only been slow leaking when the car was at temperature and pressure.  So you may wish to double check the radiator to make sure.

Just found the photo of where mine was leaking joe6.  As you can see from below, very faint pink staining on the metal underside of the radiator.  May help direct you or rule out an area? According to the mechanic he pressurised the coolant system to 1 bar and that's when he spotted the leak.

« Last Edit: 12 February 2023, 09:50 by Bluto »
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3182 on: 12 February 2023, 09:12 »
Well this happened during my last journey...

Proof that a 2009 Mk6 GTi will make it to 200,000 miles  :grin:. Though I won't go into the bits that have been repaired during my 10 year ownership to get her there, not quite "Trigger's Broom'.  :whistle: 

As a 200k mile celebration she'll get an overdue wash today!
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3183 on: 12 February 2023, 09:51 »
Well this happened during my last journey...

Proof that a 2009 Mk6 GTi will make it to 200,000 miles  :grin:. Though I won't go into the bits that have been repaired during my 10 year ownership to get her there, not quite "Trigger's Broom'.  :whistle: 

As a 200k mile celebration she'll get an overdue wash today!

Congratulations! I think a good spruce-up would be well deserved. I wonder if there are any other 200k mk6 GTI’s on the forum? Probably not.

And it’s good to see a nice set of analogue dials (something VW are / were very good at IMHO), rather than a one dimensional digital instrument display.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3184 on: 12 February 2023, 11:08 »
Congratulations! I think a good spruce-up would be well deserved. I wonder if there are any other 200k mk6 GTI’s on the forum? Probably not.
Mines a long way off, i have 183,786 to go to catch up.  :lipsrsealed:

Though I won't go into the bits that have been repaired during my 10 year ownership to get her there, not quite "Trigger's Broom'.  :whistle: 
Triggers broom  :grin:

Sounds like a small radiator hole as posted above its probably sealed itself slightly. Also check the header tank as I have heard of them leaking on the plastic mold joints.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2023, 11:18 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3185 on: 12 February 2023, 11:36 »
Mines a long way off, i have 183,786 to go to catch up.  :lipsrsealed:

Wow! That’s an incredibly low mileage. I can remember you getting your Shadow Blue mk6 GTI back around 2010/2011 - I was waiting for my mk6 GTD to be built at the time. Your car must be pretty much in showroom condition having covered less than 16k miles in around 12 years.

It was your reasoning for not going for the 18” Monza Shadow diamond cut alloys that made me wary of them in general. I had diamond cut alloys on my GTD (that was the only choice on the GTD, whether you took the standard 17” alloys or went for the 18” option), and in spite of meticulous care, two of them succumbed to white worm between 2-3 years old (replaced under warranty) and another was starting to show signs of it when I sold the car at just under five years old.

I know we all have different likes and dislikes, which IMHO is a good thing. I dislike diamond cut alloys with a passion :angry:.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3186 on: 12 February 2023, 11:56 »
Good memory.
My mk6 never really got used for what I planned was it's intended purpose. Its been pampered far more than it should ever ever ever ever have been due to my changes of circumstances. Gallons of waxoyl and I then never used it in the winter.  :laugh: I stupidly keep using the Leon or van.  :undecided:  Its sat most its life in the heated garage with the mk1.. I should have sold it years ago but i could never bring myself to part with it having not used it! So sadly you are right its in showroom condition. At the moment i keep telling myself it's just a mk6. Once winter is over sell the leon and USE IT as the daily :lipsrsealed: Its embarrassing really.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2023, 12:34 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #3187 on: 12 February 2023, 14:06 »

Hi joe6, I had a similar thing last January with mine also suffering a mysterious drop in coolant levels. Yet no pink fluid on my garage floor or noticible in the engine bay.  The mechanic eventually found a small hole in my radiator that must have only been slow leaking when the car was at temperature and pressure.  So you may wish to double check the radiator to make sure.

Just found the photo of where mine was leaking joe6.  As you can see from below, very faint pink staining on the metal underside of the radiator.  May help direct you or rule out an area? According to the mechanic he pressurised the coolant system to 1 bar and that's when he spotted the leak.

Thanks Bluto will have another look at the radiator. Pressure test seems to be the next action.
Congratulations on the mileage. Quite a feat and gives me confidence to keep on motoring until the petrol runs out.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline JSYGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3188 on: 20 February 2023, 06:23 »
Added some USB quick charging ports, very straightforward 10 minute job and the loom goes in the 12 volt port loom meaning you get to keep that too.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3189 on: 20 February 2023, 08:38 »
Nice mod :cool:
« Last Edit: 20 February 2023, 16:45 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI