Author Topic: Cambelts and other bits  (Read 3948 times)

Offline Anders

• Just got here
Cambelts and other bits
« on: 09 February 2012, 12:01 »
The dealer I bought my GT TDI DSG 140 off tells me the cambelt was done in 2009. As the car was registered May 2005 that would fit the 4 year profile.

It has 61k on it now and I am not sure what to do from here with regard to cambelts.

Can anyone help with some servicing / engine / gearbox advice??? (car was serviced before I collected it last weekend)

Many thanks.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Cambelts and other bits
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2012, 20:42 »
The dealer I bought my GT TDI DSG 140 off tells me the cambelt was done in 2009. As the car was registered May 2005 that would fit the 4 year profile.

It has 61k on it now and I am not sure what to do from here with regard to cambelts.

Can anyone help with some servicing / engine / gearbox advice??? (car was serviced before I collected it last weekend)

Many thanks.

VW specify changing the cambelt on the mk5 Golf at 4 years or the specified mileage limit, whichever is reached first. The mileage limit depends on what engine you have, so worth checking your handbook or with your dealer to find out what this is for your engine. I see VW are currently charging £339 to change the cambelt and tensioner or £419 which also includes the water pump. If you don't reach the mileage limit before May next year, you should be OK to wait until then, based on the 4 year time interval.

Although £339 or £419 sounds like quite a lot of money, the consequences of not getting it changed when it's due could be very costly! - extensive engine damage  :shocked:

With the DSG gearbox, the 40k miles oil and filter change are important to minimise future transmission problems. I'd check to make sure this was done on time on your car and if not, get it done sooner rather than later.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Anders

• Just got here
Re: Cambelts and other bits
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2012, 15:21 »
Thanks mate, good advice. I will check to make sure all has been done (or not).

Cheers.