Author Topic: TCR Wheels  (Read 1256 times)

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
TCR Wheels
« on: 28 April 2022, 20:39 »
Many years of driving and today I hand my head in shame...  I managed to kerb one of my wheels, pretty much half way round the rim.  :embarrassed:

Has anyone repaired a reifnitz wheel and if so how did you find the colour match?

As a backup option incase this is likely to be a mismatch in colour, does anyone know the cost of a single replacement, maybe a dealer who does a good price?
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: TCR Wheels
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2022, 20:48 »
I had fun and games getting one of mine sorted. In the end, powder coating is the only way and they took a second wheel to colour match from. I couldn't see any difference once completed. I also missed the kerb a couple of weeks later and scraped the same wheel again :cry:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2022, 21:17 »
I know it’s first world problems but I am gutted.

The car is mint and although I have had “nicer” cars of all types non has raised so many comments at patrol stations which his really surprising.

The fact the wheel is black now makes the issue really stand out.

How does powder coating hold up over time?  Also doesn’t sound cheap… a quick online gander looks about £100 for a standard finish wheel so guess this would be more?
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2022, 22:35 »
Powder coating should be very durable, so it should stand up well against the UK weather over time - assuming you go to a reputable wheel refurb company whose work is of high quality.

I’d say £120 for refurbishing a 19” alloy is probably what you can expect to pay for a top quality job. Some places may charge extra to remove / refit the tyre and rebalance the wheel. Lepsons are one of the highly rated wheel refurb companies that get good feedback on forums and they have a refurb cost calculator on their website. They indicate a price of £120 to refurbish a 19” alloy in standard finish including removing / refitting the tyre.

https://www.lepsons.com/calculator/

They also provide an outline of what the refurb process entails, so you know what you’re getting for your money; https://www.lepsons.com/how-we-produce-stunning-wheels/

As for the price of a new replacement; there’s a set of four brand new genuine Reifnitz alloys on Kunzmann.de website for sale at 3,432 Euros plus shipping, so at approx £2,900 for four, that suggests a single brand new replacement would cost in the region of £725

https://www.kunzmann.de/shop/en/tire-wheels/rims/19-inch-rims-reifnitz-golf-7-gti-tcr-genuine-volkswagen.htm
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2022, 06:12 »

As for the price of a new replacement; there’s a set of four brand new genuine Reifnitz alloys on Kunzmann.de website for sale at 3,432 Euros plus shipping, so at approx £2,900 for four, that suggests a single brand new replacement would cost in the region of £725

https://www.kunzmann.de/shop/en/tire-wheels/rims/19-inch-rims-reifnitz-golf-7-gti-tcr-genuine-volkswagen.htm

Yikes
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2022, 08:26 »
Yikes indeed - similar to OEM 19” Pretoria price territory for a new replacement wheel.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline 245PS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2022, 09:22 »
Half the way round?? Crikey did you fall asleep at the wheel or something?

Jokes aside, sorry to hear that. You probably feel the same as I did last week when my wife reversed her car in to the really small 12 yd skip that's been on our drive for the past 5-6 weeks. That was really excellent work.

Regarding your wheel, I think I would be inclined to buy another wheel and then sell your one on for refurb. What does a wheel cost £300-£350? Decent refurb will be over £100, plus the inconvenience. You'll probably get £100 for the old one I expect... Oh, missed the post above suggesting a new wheel is double what I said. Yikes.

Either that or refurb them all a different colour if you fancy a change?

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2022, 10:30 »
Yep it was a tight multi story car park entrance.  Only use that one as it has a good space away from possible dents.

That thinking backfired!

Its not a deep mark, just the slightest graze, but of course it shows up like you wouldn't believe being on a black wheel.

I had a look and Lepsons is not far from me so I think I will take a look there as first option.  Apparently they have stock shades but can also colour match for £10 or so per wheel, so hopefully that will work out ok.

If it doesn't work out ok I may consider a new wheel and sell this one on to cover part of the cost...
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2022, 12:21 »
Unless you just want to, you really don't need a new wheel. It will refurb just fine and will be like new again.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2022, 12:33 »
As a temporary repair a black touch up stick would be enough to take your eye off the blemish for a while. As soon as a bit of dust from daily use lands on the wheel the repair won’t be so glaringly obvious.

Then a refurb.

Absolutely no way would you want to pay that sort of money for a new wheel or set of wheels when there’s no actual structural damage.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner