Author Topic: jimmerjammer - '89 8v  (Read 5710 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
jimmerjammer - '89 8v
« on: 25 March 2010, 14:44 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline jimmerjammer

• Not said much yet
Re: jimmerjammer - '89 8v
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2010, 20:29 »
Thanks JV

Hi all

Well i have been hanging around here for nearly 2 years i think now. Kept umming and arring but then something else always came up, holiday or house improvements and it has taken until now for me to bite the bullet and get myself a GTI. My brother buying a MK3 GTI has also massively spurred me on (older brother jealousy thing going on !!!)

So anyway, finally shifted the wifes BMW and as we have my ever changing company car and the wifes new Puegeot 407, there was some spare money knocking about and one empty space on the drive !

So the hunt began. What you will find out about me is that i am massively impatient. Especially after waiting for nearly 2 years !

So 2 or 3 days spent on ebay, pistonheads, here etc turned up nothing within price range. Then i thought i would check Autotrader, not really holding out much hope. To my amazement, there was a 89 GTI advertised, locally for £500. Spec read elec windows, elec sunroof, central locking, power steering, loads of MOT and tax, needs TLC, project car, drive away £500

Sounds perfect, so i rang the guy (APPARENTLY a classic car dealer) and had a chat. From this chat found out that the steering was heavy which he suspected was the power steering pump which had gone and the heater only blows cold. Did some research and found that these are fairly common faults so decided to go take a look.

Got up there about 7pm, guy was very accomodating and stayed on to wait for me. Started it, ran it up to temp, checked the oil filler cap, water levels, oil levels, checked for rust etc etc, normal drill.

However, upon further inspection, the car had no tax, manual windows, manual sunroof and no central locking. Guy blamed it on his son and after a brief chat, we agreed a knockdown price and i was the proud owner. So for the a little over £400 i was now the owner of this

Too "over done" for me,  i dont like the back end etc. but for a little over £400 with 140k on the clock and MOT until August and only a few things to look at, i thought i had me a bargain!

Paid the man, sorted the paper work and off me and the wife went, me in front and the wife following. It had no tax but i only had 20 miles to go and i had every intention of taxing it as soon as the insurance paperwork come through.

Stopped at Summerfield to get some fuel, all good. The car was running well. The gear linkage is sloppy (bushes i hope) but apart from that and the heavy steering, all seemed good.

Fuel in and onto the motorway to start the drive home. Well, thats when it all started going wrong. 5 miles down the road and the power starting dropping but it sort of came along the same time the motorway started going uphill. So down into 4th thinking it needed a good service, a small amount of white smoke out of the exhaust and we were soon back up to 70. Anyway, this carried on for about 5 miles until the back end was spewing white smoke, i was in 2nd doing 30 and then i just pulled into onto the hard shoulder where is just died. 20 minute rest and tried to restart but it would hardly turn over. No water in the expansion tank.

Straight away, i thought head gasket gone. Well, the next 2 hours were a nightmare but in the end, i got it home on the back of a low loader and thats where it now sits.

So, i got a great looking car for £400 that needs a few hundred more spending on it. The guy i bought it from wont answer his phone, not had chance to get back up there yet but i hold out no hope of any luck from him.

Anyway, always look on the bright side and all that. I have paid more for Mini's that havent been moved in 5 years so i am actually happy with what i have got for the money i paid.

So this is where we are now. Its going to cost me £70 for the head gasket, bolts, timing belt kit and thermostat. As it didnt overheat, i am sort of hoping that i dont need to get the head skimmed but thats never my luck

So, jobs to do

Fix engine !
Get it taxed
Then
Sort power steering pump
Sort heater issue

Then its down to personal preference

I dont like the back end so will look at changing it
Certainly dont like the DTM exhaust so need to swap that
Get a Golf front end, i like the Jetta look but i want to have the ability to change it
Get rid of the smoked front indicators
Coilovers
BBS alloys
While its got the Jetta front end on, get a badgeless grill and eyebrow spoiler
Bonnet bra

And then an ICE install

I know it wont be to everyones taste but i am 34 in 2 weeks, i got 17 years of wanting a GTI to get through yet !

Sorry for going on, i hope you like the basis of my project.

Please help me with comments / idea's etc and i will update as i do bits and pieces

Many thanks

J
« Last Edit: 27 March 2010, 16:37 by jimmerjammer »

Offline jimmerjammer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2010, 20:31 »
So after some thought, i have decided to change the engine save spending god knows how long trying to determine the actual problem as not completely convinced its only the head gasket that has gone !

So as Sunday was a great day, i decided to make a start. After a few hours, i was left with this

A fair start and i am in no rush, i plan on doing this once so i am taking my time making sure i am marking all wires, pipes etc

Wont get any more done in the week due to work so hopefully, we will have a decent weekend next week !

Any tips / hints on swapping engines, please feel free to add them here !

Cheers

JJ

Offline jimmerjammer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2010, 16:36 »
Well a bit more done today

Was going to be more but i had to change the lower ball joint on the mother-in-laws Pug 407, my god, what a nightmare !

So only got a bit done.

So after some advise, the engine is coming out of the front instead of being pulled on a hoist. So today i got the (two?) front crossmembers off, along with front engine mount. The engine is now sitting on 2 axle stands!

I also got the starter motor off, power steering pipes disconnected and had a good look at what else needs doing.

So not as much as i had hoped but at least some more done !

More as it happens!

JJ

Offline jimmerjammer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2010, 20:42 »
I havent uploaded the pictures yet but i just wanted to let you all know..........

MY GOLF LIVES !!!!!!

Yay!

New engine in over the weekend and up and running tonight !

Full breakdown of progress to follow but just so happy, i wanted to share the good news !!!!

Offline jimmerjammer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2010, 21:20 »
Well i have got pictures of the engine transplant but i guess you have all seen them before  :roll:

So tonight, i did a really quick wash and polish (and i mean quick, only took 2 hours) and here are the results !

Yes i painted the badge red, yes the back tyre is flat but my god, i love it !

Comments??

JJ