Author Topic: E10 petrol  (Read 2891 times)

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
E10 petrol
« on: 27 August 2021, 20:14 »
Hi all

I know the E10 fuel (replacing E5 petrol from 1 Sept) is compatible with the engine and fuel lines, but it has about 1% less energy from what the press say.

I guess more of us will be buying the 98 octane premium (and remaining E5) petrol now?

Does anyone think we will notice the difference between E5 and E10 in standard fuel?

Martin
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: E10 petrol
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2021, 21:04 »
In short, not really.

The most difference you'll notice is a drop in mileage, as the there's less energy in it so will use a little more. It's not changing octane rating so it's really just a look at price & efficiency.

I run BP 97 octane (only get 95 or 97 in NI) and I'm not convinced it does anything, but better with the additives than without.

It will be interesting to see if both the E5 & E10 come off the same boat & source for us, like the 95 & 97 Octane.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2021, 21:24 »
In short, not really.

The most difference you'll notice is a drop in mileage, as the there's less energy in it so will use a little more. It's not changing octane rating so it's really just a look at price & efficiency.

I run BP 97 octane (only get 95 or 97 in NI) and I'm not convinced it does anything, but better with the additives than without.

It will be interesting to see if both the E5 & E10 come off the same boat & source for us, like the 95 & 97 Octane.

Just back from NI today, I did wonder why I couldn’t get 99 anywhere lol

I have been wondering how it will effect the higher performance cars and my stage one is set up for 99 fuel but can turn down to 97 and 95 if I need but interested to know a bit more.
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 27 August 2021, 22:07 »
In short, not really.

Just back from NI today, I did wonder why I couldn’t get 99 anywhere lol

I have been wondering how it will effect the higher performance cars and my stage one is set up for 99 fuel but can turn down to 97 and 95 if I need but interested to know a bit more.

99 is witchcraft and we won't have it  :wink:

It shouldn't affect us to be honest, it's only 95 octane fuel that is shifting to E10.

E5 will continue to be sold in 97+ octane fuels, so those with any older car that can't run 95 octane E10 will have to move to 97 octane E5 eg VW Fox will receive an increase petrol bill due to this.

The switch to E85 fuel makes a lot of sense now but I doubt we'll see it in the 'average' consumers car for a long time.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2021, 22:17 »
Also E10 is upto a maximum of 10% so will vary from brand to brand.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2021, 23:29 »
Just continue to use Shell V Power, E5, 99RON - sorted👍
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2021, 19:06 »
Due to the usual British problem of deluded politicians and company management that live in their own little bubbles - there is now a sudden and “unpredicted” shortage of super unleaded owing to people not trusting the advice that it’s perfectly safe to use E10 so therefore switching to super  :rolleyes:

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2021, 08:42 »
Having lived in countries where E10 was introduced over 10 years ago (!!!) it's not just the British who don't understand that E10 (with a very limited number of exceptions, most of which are at an age now where the next scrappage scheme will see them off) is safe to use and actually the - albeit marginally - better fuel.

You won't see any decrease in performance and no increase in consumption in the real world. Hypothetically it has around 1% less energy content compared to E5 blends.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles