Author Topic: Chemical stains on front bumper black elements  (Read 2168 times)

Offline brian1983

• Not said much yet
Chemical stains on front bumper black elements
« on: 26 August 2021, 19:58 »
Hi all, I need some help with a problem I have with a 7.5 GTI I just got. There’s strange white stains on the black plastic elements of the front bumper. It’s worst on the grilles around the fog lights. I’ve tried GTECHNIQ C4 trim restorer and it made it better but it’s still noticeable. I’m wondering if there’s any way to remove the stains.

Alternatively I might need to replace all the black plastic elements. Does anyone have a full part list for these parts. I’ve found the fog light surround, the grille fins around the fog lights, the hexagon central grille in the bottom. I’m not sure what the part number for the central black strip on the bottom of the bumper though. I know this will be a PITA but it’s bothering me.
2018 7.5 GTI White

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
Re: Chemical stains on front bumper black elements
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2021, 20:19 »
Have you tried a mild cutting compound ? C4 will only put a coating over the stain.
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline brian1983

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2021, 20:19 »
You mean like a compound that you’d use on paint? Will that work on plastic?
2018 7.5 GTI White

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2021, 20:32 »
Sounds like it might have been caused by harsh cleaning products that have reacted with the gloss plastic trim and etched into the surface. Quite often, the black plastic wheel bolt covers on the locking wheel bolts will take on a faded appearance if an acid based wheel cleaner has been used.

If you’ve only just got the car, it’s unlikely you’ll know what products have been used to clean it. If it’s been treated to a regular cleaning at one of the many Eastern European hand wash places, then it’s likely harsh products will have been used. Time is money to those places, so the quicker they can remove the dirt, the more cars they can wash which equals more ££££‘s.

I was gong to suggest Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer or Gyeon Q2 Trim, but as you’ve already tried one of these, then a plastic trim / dressing product might not give you the results you’re looking for. Machine polishing would normally help remove etching but as the parts on your car that need attention are likely to be very difficult (or impossible?) to access with a machine polisher, then that probably isn’t an option. You could try hand polishing with an appropriate cutting compound. Sorry, can’t help with the part numbers, but hopefully there’s a forum member who’ll come along soon who can.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline brian1983

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 26 August 2021, 20:51 »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I’m going to give this a go and see how it goes. https://www.amazon.co.uk/MEGUIARS-M-3916-Mirror-Glaze-Cleaner/dp/B0000AY3SX  If this doesn’t work I may just have to bite the bullet and get new trim.

It seems to be concentrated under the headlight washers, I wonder if the previous owner put something too harsh in with the water. I’m going to try an APC again but with a toothbrush this time and see how I get on.
« Last Edit: 26 August 2021, 21:06 by brian1983 »
2018 7.5 GTI White

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2021, 21:22 »
You mean like a compound that you’d use on paint? Will that work on plastic?

Yes. You could try autoglym super resin polish first and easy to buy. It’s very very mild. Just use by hand with a microfibre cloth.
Without going to a detailing company, you can get other mild cutting compounds from Halfords. Worth having for removing minor scratches from paintwork in the future too !
2014 gti pp dsg

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2021, 22:12 »
Could you get them taken for and resprayed gloss black would that be an option

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2021, 23:46 »
If it's the textured plastic don't used any polish or compound on them, you'll be left with polish on them instead.

Please post pictures of affected areas, white stains could be anything from dried polish to acid damage.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2021, 23:58 »
If it's the textured plastic don't used any polish or compound on them, you'll be left with polish on them instead.

Please post pictures of affected areas, white stains could be anything from dried polish to acid damage.

I believe you’re right - I think the mk7.5 GTI black trim pieces are textured plastic. I was thinking of the mk7.5 R where the black plastic trim pieces are gloss black.

Agree - using polish or compound on textured plastic would be a bad idea. I got some on one of the textured sill extensions on my previous car and it was a real pig to remove.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Rob_benton

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 27 August 2021, 07:49 »

I believe you’re right - I think the mk7.5 GTI black trim pieces are textured plastic. I was thinking of the mk7.5 R where the black plastic trim pieces are gloss black.

Agree - using polish or compound on textured plastic would be a bad idea. I got some on one of the textured sill extensions on my previous car and it was a real pig to remove.

Apologies, I thought the trim was similar to smooth piano black on the 7.5 
2014 gti pp dsg