Author Topic: Whirring around 65-75mph???  (Read 1475 times)

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
Whirring around 65-75mph???
« on: 06 May 2021, 14:12 »
My newly acquired 2013 Mk7 GTi PP is still putting a smile on my face each time I drive it and is showing no nasty gremlins that I may've missed on the test drive. However, there is a slight 'whirring' sound that can be heard from around 65-75mph (can be heard when in gear and coasting out of gear). It's not the road surface, as when driving on the same part of the motorway in my wife's car, at the same speed, there's no unusual sounds. Any ideas?

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Whirring around 65-75mph???
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2021, 14:47 »
Can you narrow down where the sound is coming from? Front, back, left, right? Does it make the same noise on all roads? Just because your wife's car is not making the noise on that surface is not a guarantee it isn't your tyres/surface combination.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2021, 15:47 »
My newly acquired 2013 Mk7 GTi PP is still putting a smile on my face each time I drive it and is showing no nasty gremlins that I may've missed on the test drive. However, there is a slight 'whirring' sound that can be heard from around 65-75mph (can be heard when in gear and coasting out of gear). It's not the road surface, as when driving on the same part of the motorway in my wife's car, at the same speed, there's no unusual sounds. Any ideas?
Could be a wheel bearing. What's the mileage on the car? can you post a video of the noise?
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2021, 16:03 »
Unfortunately looks like you can only attach pic/video files (?), but it's like a slow repetative 'grrrr' sound every second. It makes the sound on all motorway surfaces (M25/M23). I can't narrow the sound to an actual area of the car, seems to be a general whirring. The cars on 50K miles. No other unusual sounds except for this when between 65-75mph.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2021, 16:17 »
50k...have you replaced your rear tyres yet?

Could be a saw tooth on the inside edge, they do that at around 50k ish but that tends to be more noticeable at low speeds, but I'd not discount it.

Easy enough to check.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2021, 18:27 »
I took the 'racing line' straight over a roundabout when it snowed, and clipped my front wheel on the kerb. I suspect this has upset the wheel bearing.

Ever since, I get a faint but deep vibration that pulses about once a second, it starts at 70, is strongest at 75, then slowly tales off. If you really concentrate, you can feel it through the wheel and pedals.

VW and a indie have seen it and both say 'no faults found'. I'm getting it done in the next couple of weeks, I'll let you know if it fixes it, lol.

Offline JP2021

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2021, 22:03 »
Looking at the tread on the tyres, I'd say they're not originals, I'll certainly have a look at them though and see if there are any irregularities. It'd be great to hear the outcome of your garage visit baka!

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2021, 22:15 »
Have you had a proper four-wheel alignment (Hunter)?

It made such a difference when I had it done on my last Golf that I promised myself that from then on I'd always have it done each time I buy new tyres.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2021, 20:11 »
Looking at the tread on the tyres, I'd say they're not originals, I'll certainly have a look at them though and see if there are any irregularities. It'd be great to hear the outcome of your garage visit baka!

I'll keep you posted.  :smiley: 

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2021, 22:19 »
As already suggested, my money is on tyres. It could be alignment or sawtoothing, but I’d definitely start in that area. A four wheel alignment is a good thing to do periodically regardless so perhaps start there, and ask the garage doing it to check the tyres while they’re at it.