Author Topic: Insurance again!  (Read 7521 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Insurance again!
« on: 18 July 2020, 13:04 »
Hi,

Anyone noticed a huge jump in premiums this year?

I was paying £350 for my R. Quotes now starting from £500 With most sitting around £900.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Insurance again!
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2020, 13:43 »
I've yet to have that nugget of joy in my life this year. The only positive I've got is that an accident I had three years ago this year got changed from partial to no fault so that should at least help. You'd have thought with so few people being out the risk would've gone down. I shall definitely reduce my insured miles this year, it all helps.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2020, 15:10 »
Greedy Bastards.

I used to see an accident every other day before lickdown, it's about 2 a month since lickdown for me. They must be saving a fortune on claims.

Perhaps everyone is reducing their mileage to save and they're counteracting that?

Perhaps some have been needing to renew during lockdown and SORNed their cars instead and didn't bother to renew?

Maybe they've had a taste of record profits with 3 months of hugely reduced vehicular activity and want to keep that going by hiking insurance?

Hopefully if there's absolutely no justifiable reason for it, an ombudsnan or the Government will step in
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
7.5 GTD

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2020, 16:04 »
https://uk.motor1.com/news/431271/10m-drivers-insurance-increase-lockdown/

So basically the 4 amazing months they've had are a gift and they anticipate fewer people risking the bus/metro/tube to get to work.

I do think a lot of companies will have realised that working from home needn't affect productivity and a fair few people (like myself) who've worked right through from home will continue to work from home for a high proportion of the week

With that in mind, I don't think we'll see a huge rise in road traffic. If people were getting public transport to work before, it'll be mostly due to cost. Asking people to stump up for a car and all the running costs when they couldn't or wouldn't do so before is a big ask.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2020, 16:29 »
Greedy Bastards.

I used to see an accident every other day before lickdown, it's about 2 a month since lickdown for me. They must be saving a fortune on claims.

Perhaps everyone is reducing their mileage to save and they're counteracting that?

Perhaps some have been needing to renew during lockdown and SORNed their cars instead and didn't bother to renew?

Maybe they've had a taste of record profits with 3 months of hugely reduced vehicular activity and want to keep that going by hiking insurance?

Hopefully if there's absolutely no justifiable reason for it, an ombudsnan or the Government will step in

What’s Lickdown ??!!
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2020, 16:40 »
Using public transport isn't always about whether people can afford to own a car, it is also about convenience. Many railway station car parks and park & ride car parks prior to lockdown were often full during Mon to Fri. These are people that already own a car but still made use of public transport. At the moment convenience is not the biggest priority for most people, they are putting health and safety first. Roads are getting busier by the week, even though some lockdown measures are still in place. Boris's recent return to work message will only increase traffic from where it is now.

Also most insurance companies don't only offer car insurance. They also do travel insurance, health insurance, business insurance etc. It may be a case of having to pass some losses in certain areas of their business onto others. Have a look at the share price graphs for most of the major insurance companies and see how much of a gift the last four months has actually been.
7.5 GTD

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2020, 17:38 »
Using public transport isn't always about whether people can afford to own a car, it is also about convenience. Many railway station car parks and park & ride car parks prior to lockdown were often full during Mon to Fri. These are people that already own a car but still made use of public transport. At the moment convenience is not the biggest priority for most people, they are putting health and safety first. Roads are getting busier by the week, even though some lockdown measures are still in place. Boris's recent return to work message will only increase traffic from where it is now.

Also most insurance companies don't only offer car insurance. They also do travel insurance, health insurance, business insurance etc. It may be a case of having to pass some losses in certain areas of their business onto others. Have a look at the share price graphs for most of the major insurance companies and see how much of a gift the last four months has actually been.

Also, I dare say insurance companies look at more than just the last three-four month period when they review their car insurance portfolio and set their premium rates. I seem to remember that certain parts of the UK have been badly affected by some quite extreme weather (heavy rain and flooding) during the last 12 months. There’ll have been lots of cars irreparably damaged by flood water that will have been automatically written off. Incidents such as this could actually mean insurance companies see an increase in their claims costs for the last 12 months compared to previous years, even in spite of less ‘road activity’ because of the lockdown.

On lockdown specifically, although there should have been fewer accident related claims because people will have been driving their cars less during lockdown, the frequency of some types of claims may have actually increased - malicious damage claims (cars being keyed and dented while parked up and not being used). The incidence of theft claims might also have been on the increase during lockdown as some less honest sectors of the community fall on hard times and look for a quick and easy way to ‘earn’ a dishonest pound or two :shocked:; they may see car theft might as one such way they achieve this. 

I’m not defending the insurance industry, nor do I have an affiliation with any insurance company. I also hate it when my premium increases for no apparent reason. Just saying that there will be a number of factors that could affect why premiums increase. It always pays to shop around at renewal, and never ever let your insurance auto-renew as there’s likely to be another insurance company out there offering a better price.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2020, 22:00 »
there was an admission of sorts that car insurers would be in clover due to lockdown lack of car usage - Admiral giving all their customers £25.

Speculating about incidents like keying possibly going up...have you any basis for that? If your car is staying at home because you are (lockdown), chances are it's on your driveway or right outside your house. Fewer people wandering the streets (because of lockdown) with the opportunity to have a go at your car without getting caught are much lower. How many people would claim on their insurance and risk losing NCD unless someone has keyed 3 or more panels?

Far more people working from home or off through furlough gives far fewer opportunities for burglary, bringing down house insurance liabilities, lack of opportunity to travel is a boon for those travel insurance providers too (I have an annual policy that is likely to have had 6 days coverage for actual foreign travel before it runs out as our holiday this year was cancelled).

I can only imagine life insurance and private health insurance for COVID-19 vulnerable individuals being more likely to pay out.

A mate of mine is reasonably high up at Aviva and his annual bonus is bigger than my salary most years. He's expecting his bonus to be up 40% this year.

There's some serious price gouging going on for car insurance right now and those insurers don't seem to have a justifiable cause.

Obviously, shopping around is as important as ever because loyalty pays nothing these days.

I've felt the effects of recent price gouging. Swapping my Polo GTI+ for an A4 Avant saw me need to pay an additional £130ish out for the last 5 months of my annual policy with "quote me happy". Their justification was that the A4 would attract an annual premium of £619 vs £320 for the Polo. I did a fresh quote for the A4 and "quote me happy" came in at £414 for the year. Not quite worth binning current policy and starting again, clearly they took the piss. Based on that £414 quote, I was expecting to pay an extra £50-60 for the remainder of my policy.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2020, 22:09 by monkeyhanger »

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 18 July 2020, 22:40 »
Good to hear other people’s stories. It’s obviously an issue at the moment.

I hadn’t thought about the reduced cars on the road and the impact that would have on insurance company profits. Sounds like nothing but the usual case of pure greed as expected. Super.

A nugget of joy made me laugh at least.  :grin:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.