Author Topic: A quick query  (Read 8433 times)

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
A quick query
« on: 22 October 2015, 17:43 »
I reckon I know this is not allowed but would like to check .
A friend of mine has a 2 ltr car insured for her, and her partner is learning to drive but the owners insurance company wont insure the car for learners ,
However the learner has got insurance through another company to cover her when out in the car  .
My query is are you allowed to have two companies insuring the same car for two different drivers and what happens if they are involved in an accident or stopped by the police .
Thanks in advance

Online jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: A quick query
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2015, 10:04 »
As long as both policies are accurate I don't think this is a problem. You can cover the car twice.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 03 November 2015, 17:25 »
I looked into this and it seems its ok to do it .
Thankz

Offline VWDoesItBetter

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2015, 08:48 »
Personally, I think that would cause big problems if something does happen accident wise and then you want to collect from the insurance company. Insurance companies, like any business out there, are trying to make money. If they can find a loop hole to not pay, they will. Finding out that a car is insured by another company would be a nice big loop hole to say "nope, it's the responsibility of the other company to pay" and volley you back and forth with neither wanting to own up to the responsibility of giving them the payout they deserve. There must be a way to adjust one of the insurances policies to cover both parties without having to worry about the vehicle being double insured. 

Offline Db4193

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2015, 00:43 »
Pretty sure i had heard before that you can only have one policy on a car.
Perhaps best to call your insurer and ask