Author Topic: Just made an offer on a Clubsport!  (Read 1435 times)

Offline GE90

• Not said much yet
Just made an offer on a Clubsport!
« on: 05 March 2024, 20:30 »
Hi

As title, I’ve just made an offer on a Clubsport with just the options I’ve been looking for.

I’ve been able to drive one, but owned quite a number of GTI’s and powerful 4 wheel drive and front wheel drive cars. The only slight hesitation is ride comfort with variable suspension and 19’s, but I’ve read that it’s not too bad - it’s a GTI after all!

There seems to be much contradiction concerning the exact changes over the regular GTI, so does anyone have a list of all of the changes?

Cheers.

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
Re: Just made an offer on a Clubsport!
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2024, 22:12 »

Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline GE90

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2024, 22:22 »
Thanks. I was hoping for a comprehensive list, including suspension components changes (if any).

Cheers.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2024, 18:10 »
Welcome back Tony and a good choice  :cool:
What was not to your taste with the S3?

Anyway, this isn’t an exhaustive list and I can’t help with part numbers or specifics but Clubsport differences:
Front bumper (fog light deletion too owing to additional cooling rad)
Rear spoiler
Rear valence
Side stripes

Different engine, same code as 8R but some ancillaries in a different position same as S3 and Cupra 300. The Golf R must have extra cooling hardware necessitating the changes. Regular GTI has smaller turbo and different internals, similar hierarchy to mk7 equivalents.
Different exhaust with oval tips.
Similar front suspension to 8R with negative camber.
357mm two piece drilled front discs and (I think) twin pot calipers
Slightly different rear suspension settings

Slightly shorter gearing IIRC

Nice fluffy alcantara seat trim which means no need for heated seats, they literally never feel cold.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline GE90

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2024, 15:07 »
Hi

Sorry for late reply and thanks.

I loved the S3, but decided I wanted something different (expensive hobby!). Purchased a 718 Cayman, but the experience wasn't as expected, so had a 6R Polo GTI as stopgap. This reignited my interest for a hot hatch again, and the new shape 8Y S3 was out of budget for a clean used one, and wanting something different to the S3/R, I decided on the Clubsport. 

I collect on Saturday (350m trip!). Never driven a CS - just hope the ride isn't jiggly - I expect firm, but didn't like my Impreza hatch STI due jiggly ride!

Cheers

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2024, 15:50 »
It'll be good to hear what you think GE90.

My Clubby is on 18s without DCC and I love the handling.  I've never driven one on 19s but that would undoubtedly be a harder ride (and more jiggly?). 

You'll have a long first drive to try it out and I hope you're happy with it.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Perky

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2024, 21:15 »
I have 19’s on my CS, tbh the ride comfort is pretty good and it grips like hell!

Offline Gazzza45

• Just got here
  • Clubsport45 Moonstone
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2024, 12:00 »
My Clubsport45 has dcc but the biggest improvement was ditching the Y rated Hankooks from factory and putting on 4 W rated Yoko’s. Rides over the pot holes quite well even in sport setting and steering feels a bit sharper as well…

Offline GE90

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2024, 16:05 »
So, while awaiting collection of my CS on Saturday, I drive a local one with 19" wheels (Bridgestone tyres) and non-DCC.

Genuinely amazed by the ride comfort. On the firmer side for sure, but really very well resolved and in no way crashy or fidgety in any respect.

Now getting prepared for a 7 hour train journey and 7 hour drive home at the weekend.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2024, 17:54 »
Never driven a CS - just hope the ride isn't jiggly - I expect firm, but didn't like my Impreza hatch STI due jiggly ride!

I wouldn’t class the Clubsport as jiggly. Mind you different people have different tolerances so fingers crossed you’re happy with the ride quality.

I found the ride (on 19’s) with no DCC pretty compliant on anything other than sharp irregularities.
There’s quite a bit of body movement when you’re pressing on but it’s all well controlled with minimal understeer.
350 miles will be a good test drive for sure. Spend a bit of time setting up the infotainment (and HVAC) before you set off as it’s fiddly to do on the move. Once most of it is set up you don’t really need to touch it again very often.

What didn’t you like about the 718?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner