Author Topic: Clubsport Edition 40 and Clubsport S build numbers (and car photos)  (Read 142508 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Stunning looking car :drool:
Once again I'm feeling a tad jealous :smiley:

Where the hell have you been for the last six months?

Took a leave of absence and now feel ready to participate in a small way to this always excellent forum :grin:
I've still been following every little argument and pissing contest from afar, but have trained myself to not get involved due to a last attempt at maturity.
A few fellow members should take note :laugh:

ps

It's nice to know I've been missed :kiss: :laugh:

Cheers chaps. What's the crack with this pedal box mod?
I thought the dead spot had been programmed out of the CS? Mine feels pretty responsive in Sport mode with no dead spot, although admittedly there is a bit of one in D.

I can't compare it to a standard GTi as I've never driven one, but just on the basis of this Clarkson review: https://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/clarkson/clarkson-review-2016-volkswagen-golf-gti-clubsport-edition-40/

"In my standard GTI — chosen because I can’t be bothered to explain to people at parties what an R is — there’s a definite hole in the power delivery. When you just want to go slightly faster, you put your foot down a bit and … nothing happens.

It’s almost certainly some kind of ludicrous emission program in the engine control unit, but it feels like turbo lag and it’s annoying. However, in the Clubsport Edition 40 it doesn’t happen. The movement of your foot is translated instantly into a change of pace. It makes the whole car feel more alert and alive."

(Yes, I know you can't believe most things Clarkson says...)

I think I was one of the first to get a pedal box on my PP GTI back in 2013, there may have been a few others before me but I knew I'd need one immediately as I had a similar device on my mk6 GTIs (that were remapped too).
I've had the same box on my PP, GTD, R and Clubsport as the pedal itself is the same item throughout the Golf range.

Clarkson is talking rubbish as usual.
The Clubsport (non CSS) has a similar engine and throttle response to an R but minus the drivetrain drag.
The R engine, once the turbo is on song at fractionally higher revs than a standard GTI, is a lot more free revving and responsive feeling than the GTI, GTI PP etc, and when you factor in there's no transmission drag for the 4WD in a Clubsport then indeed you have a pretty responsive car compared to a normal GTI.
That's fine when you're driving 8 tenths and above, and is even noticeable on motorway cruises when you want a quick burst of acceleration without dropping a gear or two.
The pedal box however brings the car alive in one tenths driving and just gets better all the way until you do actually want full throttle, at which point you're at ten tenths and nothing can make a difference short of a remap.
There's a deadness to the standard throttle on nearly all modern cars which is particularly unwelcome in a sporty model but I'd also level it at any car that's used around town or in give and take driving.

There are loads of threads on here Jonny, I think I pedal boxed myself into oblivion on here in the early mk7 days and others have long since taken over the mantle now once I'd brainwashed them and they realised that these things do work and make a huge difference to the enjoyment of the car in just normal everyday driving.

258lb ft is quite a lot of torque, in fact a generation or so ago that was remapped GTI torque levels, but it's well masked at lowish throttle openings on the standard GTI, R, Clubsport and any of the other turbo engined mk7 Golfs.
When I got my GTI PP I seriously doubted that that car only had a few lb ft less than my mapped mk6 GTI in a supposedly lighter shell.
As soon as I put a pedal box on the thing I could feel every single one of those 258 lb ft of torques right the way from easing out onto the main road at the end of the estate, going onto the roundabout, coming off the roundabout, giving it a light squirt of power to keep up with traffic flow... and all of this at under 40mph as the car just felt so much more alive and fun to drive.
You don't need stupid amounts of power for British roads, I've been there and done that numerous times now and have come to realise that it's driving responses and a decent torque delivery (drivability) that make a car fun to drive at normal sane road speeds.
Yeah, when you want to open the car up on a clear bypass at 11pm then it won't make a lot of difference, but that'll just be a short part of your journey and the other 90% plus will be made far more enjoyable with a pedal box fitted.

The device itself is basically a signal amplifier that's highly adjustable and can remove as much throttle pedal lag as you wish. It can be slightly more responsive than standard or it can be hair trigger and everything in between. Most people go somewhere in the middle.
It has nothing to do with the engine throttle mapping, merely the digital throttle pedal mapping. The engine mapping itself is fine, once the restriction of the pedal itself has been reduced you'll find the engine itself is very peppy and eager from very low throttle openings. The Clubsport is the first in god knows how many turbo'd vehicles I've not bothered remapping and it's far from the quickest, it's just one of the most fun cars I've owned in many years.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Jonny Baddeley

• Just got here

Cheers chaps. What's the crack with this pedal box mod?
I thought the dead spot had been programmed out of the CS? Mine feels pretty responsive in Sport mode with no dead spot, although admittedly there is a bit of one in D.

I can't compare it to a standard GTi as I've never driven one, but just on the basis of this Clarkson review: https://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/clarkson/clarkson-review-2016-volkswagen-golf-gti-clubsport-edition-40/

"In my standard GTI — chosen because I can’t be bothered to explain to people at parties what an R is — there’s a definite hole in the power delivery. When you just want to go slightly faster, you put your foot down a bit and … nothing happens.

It’s almost certainly some kind of ludicrous emission program in the engine control unit, but it feels like turbo lag and it’s annoying. However, in the Clubsport Edition 40 it doesn’t happen. The movement of your foot is translated instantly into a change of pace. It makes the whole car feel more alert and alive."

(Yes, I know you can't believe most things Clarkson says...)

I think I was one of the first to get a pedal box on my PP GTI back in 2013, there may have been a few others before me but I knew I'd need one immediately as I had a similar device on my mk6 GTIs (that were remapped too).
I've had the same box on my PP, GTD, R and Clubsport as the pedal itself is the same item throughout the Golf range.

Clarkson is talking rubbish as usual.
The Clubsport (non CSS) has a similar engine and throttle response to an R but minus the drivetrain drag.
The R engine, once the turbo is on song at fractionally higher revs than a standard GTI, is a lot more free revving and responsive feeling than the GTI, GTI PP etc, and when you factor in there's no transmission drag for the 4WD in a Clubsport then indeed you have a pretty responsive car compared to a normal GTI.
That's fine when you're driving 8 tenths and above, and is even noticeable on motorway cruises when you want a quick burst of acceleration without dropping a gear or two.
The pedal box however brings the car alive in one tenths driving and just gets better all the way until you do actually want full throttle, at which point you're at ten tenths and nothing can make a difference short of a remap.
There's a deadness to the standard throttle on nearly all modern cars which is particularly unwelcome in a sporty model but I'd also level it at any car that's used around town or in give and take driving.

There are loads of threads on here Jonny, I think I pedal boxed myself into oblivion on here in the early mk7 days and others have long since taken over the mantle now once I'd brainwashed them and they realised that these things do work and make a huge difference to the enjoyment of the car in just normal everyday driving.

258lb ft is quite a lot of torque, in fact a generation or so ago that was remapped GTI torque levels, but it's well masked at lowish throttle openings on the standard GTI, R, Clubsport and any of the other turbo engined mk7 Golfs.
When I got my GTI PP I seriously doubted that that car only had a few lb ft less than my mapped mk6 GTI in a supposedly lighter shell.
As soon as I put a pedal box on the thing I could feel every single one of those 258 lb ft of torques right the way from easing out onto the main road at the end of the estate, going onto the roundabout, coming off the roundabout, giving it a light squirt of power to keep up with traffic flow... and all of this at under 40mph as the car just felt so much more alive and fun to drive.
You don't need stupid amounts of power for British roads, I've been there and done that numerous times now and have come to realise that it's driving responses and a decent torque delivery (drivability) that make a car fun to drive at normal sane road speeds.
Yeah, when you want to open the car up on a clear bypass at 11pm then it won't make a lot of difference, but that'll just be a short part of your journey and the other 90% plus will be made far more enjoyable with a pedal box fitted.

The device itself is basically a signal amplifier that's highly adjustable and can remove as much throttle pedal lag as you wish. It can be slightly more responsive than standard or it can be hair trigger and everything in between. Most people go somewhere in the middle.
It has nothing to do with the engine throttle mapping, merely the digital throttle pedal mapping. The engine mapping itself is fine, once the restriction of the pedal itself has been reduced you'll find the engine itself is very peppy and eager from very low throttle openings. The Clubsport is the first in god knows how many turbo'd vehicles I've not bothered remapping and it's far from the quickest, it's just one of the most fun cars I've owned in many years.

Many thanks for such a detailed response. I'll assess the car when I pick it up at the weekend. My wife will primarily be the main driver and as such will not be worrying herself with throttle response, more likely Bluetooth, and how the sat nav works. I'll be using the car for holidays and may take it on the odd hoon around North Wales. I'm fortunate to have a couple of other na German cars to play in with nice throttle response but I expect it'll be a job to do sooner or later. Never really noticed an issue in my 7R though.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict

Took a leave of absence and now feel ready to participate in a small way to this always excellent forum :grin:
I've still been following every little argument and pissing contest from afar, but have trained myself to not get involved due to a last attempt at maturity.
A few fellow members should take note :laugh:

ps

It's nice to know I've been missed :kiss: :laugh:

Maturity? Go find a Volvo forum if you want that sort of thing!

The place ain't the same without you  :kiss:

Many thanks for such a detailed response. I'll assess the car when I pick it up at the weekend. My wife will primarily be the main driver and as such will not be worrying herself with throttle response, more likely Bluetooth, and how the sat nav works. I'll be using the car for holidays and may take it on the odd hoon around North Wales. I'm fortunate to have a couple of other na German cars to play in with nice throttle response but I expect it'll be a job to do sooner or later. Never really noticed an issue in my 7R though.

I don't use my Clubsport as a daily driver but the pedal box is still an essential addition.  :wink:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Robo999

• Not said much yet
Hi guys. New to the forum. Picked up my clubsport no 53 about a month ago. Loving it. Such a huge step forward over my mk5 gti  :laugh:
Will try and get some pics up asap  :grin:
Mk7 GTI Edition 40 Clubsport no. 53

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Hi guys. New to the forum. Picked up my clubsport no 53 about a month ago. Loving it. Such a huge step forward over my mk5 gti  :laugh:

Welcome Robo, good to hear you're loving your car  :cool:
It would be nice to see some pics but you can tell us a bit about it in the meantime, spec, and how it compares to the MK5 GTI which is a really well sorted car in its own right.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Robo999

• Not said much yet
Hi exonian. Its a 5dr manual in oryx white with discover pro and the tech pack. Think there pretty much the same thing. Also has the dynaudio system in it. And the 18" multi alloys. Its not a massive spec and they come with quite alot standard. it was such a nice motor i couldnt turn it down. Had only done 4k when i picked it up.
In comparison to my mk5, the mk5 was an epic car. Mine was full stage 2 and for what it was didnt half make serious progress. The mk7 isnt such a huge leap forward from that point. Not like the difference between the mk4-mk5. But vw have taken all the good bits of the mk5 and improved alot of the lesser points of it. The mk7 has so much more grip. Seems to lack the low end punch my mk5 had. Seems very lethargic. Can be a little frustrating at times, Until you start to rev it Then it just takes off.  Im sure a map will sort that out tho.  :evil: and the quality difference inside has improved a great deal. Such a nice place to sit. But one of my fave parts in the dynaudio. The quality and volume you can get is brilliant. Well worth the money they charge for in imo.  :smiley:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Hi exonian. Its a 5dr manual in oryx white with discover pro and the tech pack. Think there pretty much the same thing. Also has the dynaudio system in it. And the 18" multi alloys. Its not a massive spec and they come with quite alot standard. it was such a nice motor i couldnt turn it down. Had only done 4k when i picked it up.
In comparison to my mk5, the mk5 was an epic car. Mine was full stage 2 and for what it was didnt half make serious progress. The mk7 isnt such a huge leap forward from that point. Not like the difference between the mk4-mk5. But vw have taken all the good bits of the mk5 and improved alot of the lesser points of it. The mk7 has so much more grip. Seems to lack the low end punch my mk5 had. Seems very lethargic. Can be a little frustrating at times, Until you start to rev it Then it just takes off.  Im sure a map will sort that out tho.  :evil: and the quality difference inside has improved a great deal. Such a nice place to sit. But one of my fave parts in the dynaudio. The quality and volume you can get is brilliant. Well worth the money they charge for in imo.  :smiley:
I have a good friend with a mint stage 2 mk5 GTI and I had a stage 1 mk5 GTI many many years ago.
I had two mk6 GTI's and a host of mk7's so can appreciate where you're coming from in driving dynamics.
The Clubsport has the R turbo which means it's not boosting until a little further up the range, plus the standard boost is set to be progressive unlike the modified car.
I took my own Clubsport for a bit of a run earlier this evening and do lament a lack of bottom end response at times where high revs just aren't the answer.
However the rest of the package is just spot on so you just have to use the gears a bit.
Read up on the pedal box as this can assist the responses of the car to mask the lack of instant low end boost.

Aside from that your car sounds a beauty and i'd really like to see some pics of it along with everyone else who drops in on this thread.  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Robo999

• Not said much yet
Yeah il try and sort some tomoz. The map on the mk5 was a very progressive and linear map. But it just seemed to give it that low punch. I have a friend that runs a vw/audi tuning company so im hoping he can give a little bit more bottom end. Not 1 for huge amounts of power. Id settle for overboost figures all the time not just for 10 seconds tbh.  And some more low end punch. Ive seen the pedal boxes a couple of years back but found the reviews to be very off putting as some people found it made the car very hard to drive smoothly and made it very urgent. Too far the other way.

Offline davegixer

• Not said much yet

Welcome Robo, good to hear you're loving your car  :cool:
It would be nice to see some pics but you can tell us a bit about it in the meantime, spec, and how it compares to the MK5 GTI which is a really well sorted car in its own right.

Mk5 GTIs where my absolute favourite Golf, until the CS.
Absolutely loved mine; I bought it as a very unloved, battered and bruised wreck of a car, nursed it back to health over a few months and absolutely fell in love with it in the process.
I couldn't get near that love for four wheels (I'm a biker too) again until the CS; I have as much of a soft spot for MK5 GTIs as I do classic Minis, but the CS has blown me away.

I had a quick look at those pedalboxs Exonian, seems pretty straight forward, might have to have punt at one when I get some free time.

Looking forward to some pics Robo.
2017 GTI Clubsport Edition 40 #670
Carbon Grey Metallic, Black Roof, DSG, Leather, 19" Brescias, I'm in love with a car, help me.

Offline Robo999

• Not said much yet