Author Topic: Clubsport Edition 40 and Clubsport S build numbers (and car photos)  (Read 142504 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Stunning looking car :drool:
Once again I'm feeling a tad jealous :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Jonny Baddeley

• Just got here
Cheers chaps. What's the crack with this pedal box mod?

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
It's a pretty much essential bit of kit that will completely transform the responsiveness of the car.
Other more qualified people on here will explain much better than I can, so best to wait for them to pipe up :grin:
« Last Edit: 03 April 2018, 21:51 by kalimon »
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Jonny Baddeley

• Just got here
I eagerly await. Sounds great.

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
I eagerly await. Sounds great.

Plenty of threads on the matter if you run a quick search. I run one on my CS and it gets rid of the initial dead spot on the accelerater and makes the whole thing more responsive. It’s not a tuning box so no extra power, just a much more responsive car.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline WD-40

• Not said much yet
I thought the dead spot had been programmed out of the CS? Mine feels pretty responsive in Sport mode with no dead spot, although admittedly there is a bit of one in D.

I can't compare it to a standard GTi as I've never driven one, but just on the basis of this Clarkson review: https://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/clarkson/clarkson-review-2016-volkswagen-golf-gti-clubsport-edition-40/

"In my standard GTI — chosen because I can’t be bothered to explain to people at parties what an R is — there’s a definite hole in the power delivery. When you just want to go slightly faster, you put your foot down a bit and … nothing happens.

It’s almost certainly some kind of ludicrous emission program in the engine control unit, but it feels like turbo lag and it’s annoying. However, in the Clubsport Edition 40 it doesn’t happen. The movement of your foot is translated instantly into a change of pace. It makes the whole car feel more alert and alive."

(Yes, I know you can't believe most things Clarkson says...)
Current:
2018 BMW M2
2002 Porsche 911 (996) Carrera 4

Ex:
2017 GTI Clubsport Edition 40 #645, MG Midget, Audi S4 Avant, Mercedes-AMG C63, Porsche Cayman S Sport, BMW Z4MR, Honda S2000, Alfa Romeo GTV, Peugeot 106 Rallye, Austin Mini E amongst others

Offline mkviken

• I live here
My CSS has no delay at all. In race mode the throttle is super responsive
Golf GTI Clubsport S #237 Tornado red
Golf GTI 7.5 230 white silver

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Stunning looking car :drool:
Once again I'm feeling a tad jealous :smiley:

Where the hell have you been for the last six months?

I thought the dead spot had been programmed out of the CS? Mine feels pretty responsive in Sport mode with no dead spot, although admittedly there is a bit of one in D.

I can't compare it to a standard GTi as I've never driven one, but just on the basis of this Clarkson review: https://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/clarkson/clarkson-review-2016-volkswagen-golf-gti-clubsport-edition-40/

"In my standard GTI — chosen because I can’t be bothered to explain to people at parties what an R is — there’s a definite hole in the power delivery. When you just want to go slightly faster, you put your foot down a bit and … nothing happens.

It’s almost certainly some kind of ludicrous emission program in the engine control unit, but it feels like turbo lag and it’s annoying. However, in the Clubsport Edition 40 it doesn’t happen. The movement of your foot is translated instantly into a change of pace. It makes the whole car feel more alert and alive."

(Yes, I know you can't believe most things Clarkson says...)

I think I was one of the first to get a pedal box on my PP GTI back in 2013, there may have been a few others before me but I knew I'd need one immediately as I had a similar device on my mk6 GTIs (that were remapped too).
I've had the same box on my PP, GTD, R and Clubsport as the pedal itself is the same item throughout the Golf range.

Clarkson is talking rubbish as usual.
The Clubsport (non CSS) has a similar engine and throttle response to an R but minus the drivetrain drag.
The R engine, once the turbo is on song at fractionally higher revs than a standard GTI, is a lot more free revving and responsive feeling than the GTI, GTI PP etc, and when you factor in there's no transmission drag for the 4WD in a Clubsport then indeed you have a pretty responsive car compared to a normal GTI.
That's fine when you're driving 8 tenths and above, and is even noticeable on motorway cruises when you want a quick burst of acceleration without dropping a gear or two.
The pedal box however brings the car alive in one tenths driving and just gets better all the way until you do actually want full throttle, at which point you're at ten tenths and nothing can make a difference short of a remap.
There's a deadness to the standard throttle on nearly all modern cars which is particularly unwelcome in a sporty model but I'd also level it at any car that's used around town or in give and take driving.

There are loads of threads on here Jonny, I think I pedal boxed myself into oblivion on here in the early mk7 days and others have long since taken over the mantle now once I'd brainwashed them and they realised that these things do work and make a huge difference to the enjoyment of the car in just normal everyday driving.

258lb ft is quite a lot of torque, in fact a generation or so ago that was remapped GTI torque levels, but it's well masked at lowish throttle openings on the standard GTI, R, Clubsport and any of the other turbo engined mk7 Golfs.
When I got my GTI PP I seriously doubted that that car only had a few lb ft less than my mapped mk6 GTI in a supposedly lighter shell.
As soon as I put a pedal box on the thing I could feel every single one of those 258 lb ft of torques right the way from easing out onto the main road at the end of the estate, going onto the roundabout, coming off the roundabout, giving it a light squirt of power to keep up with traffic flow... and all of this at under 40mph as the car just felt so much more alive and fun to drive.
You don't need stupid amounts of power for British roads, I've been there and done that numerous times now and have come to realise that it's driving responses and a decent torque delivery (drivability) that make a car fun to drive at normal sane road speeds.
Yeah, when you want to open the car up on a clear bypass at 11pm then it won't make a lot of difference, but that'll just be a short part of your journey and the other 90% plus will be made far more enjoyable with a pedal box fitted.

The device itself is basically a signal amplifier that's highly adjustable and can remove as much throttle pedal lag as you wish. It can be slightly more responsive than standard or it can be hair trigger and everything in between. Most people go somewhere in the middle.
It has nothing to do with the engine throttle mapping, merely the digital throttle pedal mapping. The engine mapping itself is fine, once the restriction of the pedal itself has been reduced you'll find the engine itself is very peppy and eager from very low throttle openings. The Clubsport is the first in god knows how many turbo'd vehicles I've not bothered remapping and it's far from the quickest, it's just one of the most fun cars I've owned in many years.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
In short, agreed! I came from a mk5 GTi straight to the CS and couldn’t get use to the dead accelerator at ‘around town’ speeds. All sorted via the pedal box.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
My CSS has no delay at all. In race mode the throttle is super responsive

I've heard those exact words from a Cupra owner when I was discussing pedalbox with him... Better ask him what he thinks now  once we transferred mine to his car for a test :whistle:

I haven't driven a CSS but I would bet it shares exactly the same sh!tty throttle mapping - in all modes - as a R and a Clubsport do and there hasn't been any indication it's different. It's not something VW has changed on any car know till today, no matter how sporty it is or not for their own incomprehensible reasons. The delay is probably right there on a CSS too, it's just become hard coded to you that you don't really notice it any more.

I know this sounds like some idiot telling you what your car does or does not do but just don't mind me at all and try one if you have the chance, it's removable, non detectable, won't void or brake anything and it goes on and off in around 30 seconds... Not in some stupid aggressive Race mode, just the lightest "sport mode", you will suddenly realize how much more usability and adjust-ability exists even in the very first 1/3 of the pedal travel that you normally have to go past whenever you want to make even the slightest progress.

PS. LMAO at the Clarkson BS, typical Jezza (i do love him though and never miss any of his shows, he's a showman rather than someone that would accurately provide information)
« Last Edit: 04 April 2018, 21:52 by scanesare »