Author Topic: Clubsport Edition 40 and Clubsport S build numbers (and car photos)  (Read 142523 times)

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
Re: Clubsport Edition 40 and Clubsport S build numbers (and car photos)
« Reply #190 on: 01 September 2017, 08:24 »
The red trim seat belts only seem to come with the bucket seats option in the UK and as far as I am aware the ambient lights are not fitted to the clubsport(weight saving probably)

Weight saving? :grin:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #191 on: 01 September 2017, 09:36 »
Looking at the spec of the car I always found it odd that weight saving s suggested, yet you can spec 5 doors and a sunroof.

I have looked at the CS40 and there are enough features missing from my GTiPP that are useful on a daily driver, that I couldn't get excited enough to switch.

I will probably buy a CSS as fun car when the speculative premium game is over, only running it for a while will I work out of I can tolerate it as a daily?

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #192 on: 01 September 2017, 09:53 »
The "weight saving" theory is ridiculous. The much more likely reason is cost saving or some other issue on the production line that just made it more efficient to drop the ambient lights on that run.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Mikea

• Not said much yet
« Reply #193 on: 01 September 2017, 19:26 »
Can't believe everyone took the weight saving seriously   :shocked:
Sold 2021 : 2016 5dr GTi Clubsport Edition 40 DSG - No. 403
Tornado Red, Dynamic Chassis Control, Rear View Camera and 19" Brescia Alloys

Up! Gti Red 5 door, park and cruise, city emergency pack, climate control and 5 year warranty

Offline NK

• Not said much yet
« Reply #194 on: 02 September 2017, 01:39 »
It must be to do with bumper shape or just plain cost cutting.
Because of the low numbers made VW won't have bothered engineering in anything that would have cost them much.
The specs on the cars are odd.
Ambient with leather but not with normal cloth seats.
No winter pack with normal cloth seats.
Hit and miss whether you get red edged belts...
And so it goes on.

The only ones I've seen photos of with front bumper sensors were retro-fitted. Apparently an easy job and a good idea if it's a daily driver. There are lots of things sticking out of the front bumper that are easily damaged if you're a bit tight on space. I tend to try and leave about a six foot gap when manoeuvring!  :grin:

Other variations  include lack of 'clubsport ' honeycomb grill pattern trim on dash and doors and lack of illuminated 'GTI' lettering on stainless  steel sill plates, not just the red lined seat belts.
I like my clubsport  (thanks to the nice engineering, no thanks to the half arsed  efforts of the ignorant and disregarding corporate side!) which doesn't have red lined seat belts, regular patterned door dash inserts WITH illuminating red lines (as Vienna leather), illuminating red line(not 'GTI') on sills... (newer type slimline  rear view mirror too interestingly)

I definately think that  run-out pre-registered clubsports at vew dealerships were these  interrior poverty -spec  cars
VW UK wasted my time and did not admit to any of this despite me presenting loads of email evidence with links of UK clubsport cars that  have the correct specs (not just the  bucket seat models).

Theres a clubsport for sale at VW Colindale without a black roof, with honeycomb clubsport dash/door inserts (these never seem to be illuminated) but WITHOUT red lined seat belts. I saw it there for sale a while before, then relabelled  a demonstrator, now for sale again!

My detailed correspondence with  such references  involved  vw UK /germany/ and cc'ing the office of  the CEO  (Mattias Mueller)was essentially ignored consistently  and no answers provided to why there was variation and omission of features in various models.  Very disingenuous and non-transparent behavior from  the organisation
VW Germany even said they thoroughly  investigated but would NOT tell me any of the results OUTCOME other  than to see what VW UK would say (also nada). All I wanted was a truthful explanatory answer

I get the impression UK VW  customers get poor service/consideration compared to other markets. No online merchandise store , closing of customer facing  aspect of miltonkeynes HQ.. I bet VW Germany give German customers better customer service - - I hear  VW reputation there has been affected badly by Dieselgate .

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #195 on: 02 September 2017, 09:11 »

I don't think many did to be fair. When a sunroof or even 5 doors could be ordered I think only the most foolhardy still believed in weightsaving.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #196 on: 03 September 2017, 10:08 »
It must be to do with bumper shape or just plain cost cutting.
Because of the low numbers made VW won't have bothered engineering in anything that would have cost them much.
The specs on the cars are odd.
Ambient with leather but not with normal cloth seats.
No winter pack with normal cloth seats.
Hit and miss whether you get red edged belts...
And so it goes on.

The only ones I've seen photos of with front bumper sensors were retro-fitted. Apparently an easy job and a good idea if it's a daily driver. There are lots of things sticking out of the front bumper that are easily damaged if you're a bit tight on space. I tend to try and leave about a six foot gap when manoeuvring!  :grin:

Other variations  include lack of 'clubsport ' honeycomb grill pattern trim on dash and doors and lack of illuminated 'GTI' lettering on stainless  steel sill plates, not just the red lined seat belts.
I like my clubsport  (thanks to the nice engineering, no thanks to the half arsed  efforts of the ignorant and disregarding corporate side!) which doesn't have red lined seat belts, regular patterned door dash inserts WITH illuminating red lines (as Vienna leather), illuminating red line(not 'GTI') on sills... (newer type slimline  rear view mirror too interestingly)

I definately think that  run-out pre-registered clubsports at vew dealerships were these  interrior poverty -spec  cars
VW UK wasted my time and did not admit to any of this despite me presenting loads of email evidence with links of UK clubsport cars that  have the correct specs (not just the  bucket seat models).

Theres a clubsport for sale at VW Colindale without a black roof, with honeycomb clubsport dash/door inserts (these never seem to be illuminated) but WITHOUT red lined seat belts. I saw it there for sale a while before, then relabelled  a demonstrator, now for sale again!

My detailed correspondence with  such references  involved  vw UK /germany/ and cc'ing the office of  the CEO  (Mattias Mueller)was essentially ignored consistently  and no answers provided to why there was variation and omission of features in various models.  Very disingenuous and non-transparent behavior from  the organisation
VW Germany even said they thoroughly  investigated but would NOT tell me any of the results OUTCOME other  than to see what VW UK would say (also nada). All I wanted was a truthful explanatory answer

I get the impression UK VW  customers get poor service/consideration compared to other markets. No online merchandise store , closing of customer facing  aspect of miltonkeynes HQ.. I bet VW Germany give German customers better customer service - - I hear  VW reputation there has been affected badly by Dieselgate .

So it looks like the leather trimmed Clubsports get illuminated "ambient" bits but don't get the honeycomb pattern on the dash and doors then? That would add up as it would be pointless for VW to order in two lots of honeycomb interior trim, one lit and one not for such a small production run.
I think the fact the UK, considering it's fairly small size, absorbs a huge amount of new German cars they tend to take our market for granted now. When the Germans sold less cars here they made sure the per unit profit was higher by keeping discounts to a minimum and selling the cars on quality of construction. In fact when I first started buying VW's a few decades ago they tended to think of the RHD markets as a bit of an inconvenience due to having to tool up for having the steering wheel on the wrong side.
Brexit may well see things change again.

The dealer pre-reg'd Clubsports are a mix of specs and I'll just have to assume that VW UK were just fulfilling their commitment to buy however many they'd been allocated so bits fitted to them just reflected what was 'in stock'.
We just have to accept that VW said they were a limited edition in the sense that there was limited time slot they'd allocated to build them rather than numbers per se being limited but unfortunately the real special, the CSS, took the orders and the Clubsport was possibly viewed as the poor relation next to the better value Golf R.

What never ceases to surprise me is the amount of attention my car gets on the road. As a serial Golf owner I'm pretty blasé about all things VW related. I buy my cars, personalise them a bit and then move them on. Sometimes when I've put nice wheels on the car it draws a bit of attention, generally though it's just another Golf lost in a sea of Golfs; but even as standard the Clubsport attracts a lot of interest. This thread will be good for a bit of historical information in years to come as I think although VW dealers can't shift the things easily right now due to it's poor value next to brand new discounted facelifted Golfs there will be a bit of interest (and costs of confusion) in the model a few years down the line (assuming it's still even legal to own petrol fuelled vehicles)

I don't think many did to be fair. When a sunroof or even 5 doors could be ordered I think only the most foolhardy still believed in weightsaving.

Replace weight saving with cost saving and you've got us.

It's a limited run car sold at a premium that probably should have had the optional extras limited to make it more bespoke and kept production simple.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Micky1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #197 on: 03 September 2017, 12:10 »
I have the recaros and red belts. I'll let you know on the lights when I pick it up tomorrow :rolleyes:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #198 on: 03 September 2017, 22:50 »
I have the recaros and red belts. I'll let you know on the lights when I pick it up tomorrow :rolleyes:
Good luck for the pick up.
They're great cars.
Don't forget the photos!  :wink:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline davegixer

• Not said much yet
« Reply #199 on: 03 September 2017, 23:23 »
The red trim seat belts only seem to come with the bucket seats option in the UK and as far as I am aware the ambient lights are not fitted to the clubsport(weight saving probably)

Ambient lights fitted to Clubsports with leather.
2017 GTI Clubsport Edition 40 #670
Carbon Grey Metallic, Black Roof, DSG, Leather, 19" Brescias, I'm in love with a car, help me.