Author Topic: Clubsport Edition 40 and Clubsport S build numbers (and car photos)  (Read 142524 times)

Offline jjgreenwood

• GTI forum regular
Personally I think the open allocation of the cars was a mistake - if they had allocated dealers cars dealers would have marketed their allocation to customers who were interested. As there was no specific allocation then it kind of got lost amongst all the other golf. Also I have no idea why it didn't have the deposit contribution, with the price it was this made it more expensive than a Golf R. They should have marketed it at a lower price if they weren't going to do deposit contribution, but then perhaps with all the development it had it simply was an expensive project. Previous "edition" golfs have been nothing more but a slightly different look, different trim and perhaps another 10-20bhp. Clubsport was a whole new package. I can't see them doing it again and perhaps residuals will reflect that in the next few years - especially as the new cars in 2019 and beyond will all be hybrid and electric.

Its difficult to gauge and estimate it's success. Maybe they made more money from the 570+150=720 clubsport they sold due to a higher margin through lack of marketing support than the normal 1500 or so special editions they would normally put out. Given the anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that anything apart form a clubsport S has ended up on fleet terms though I think it unlikely.
Sales Manager - Inchcape Volkswagen Swindon

VW Golf GTI Clubsport S - GO15 CSS

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Interesting insights once again jjg.
It's great to see a dealer's eye perspective and I can understand exactly where you're coming from.
The GTI, GTE and R have all moved closer in styling for the facelifted cars, you've got to wonder whether there will still be those three levels of Golf (plus GTD) once the mk8 arrives.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
Interesting indeed jjg.  When the CS was launched, my local dealer group was so confident that demand was going to outstrip supply, sales were not allowed to offer any discount whatsoever.  As a result, I gambled that I would still be able to order a few months later and that paid dividends.  My local group were still not able to offer me any discount, despite having bought loads of cars from them, so they lost my order.  The group I placed my order with were able to offer £4k discount, on my well specified order, so that made the deal relatively competitive when compared with the R, despite the lack of deposit contribution.  I took a 5 year factory warranty as I intend to keep the car that long, maybe longer (as a 2nd car) depending on how the future of the car evolves.  I only do about 4k miles a year so it will make a great "keeper".  I'm sure it will lose pots of money, but at least to me anyway, it's one of the most special cars VW has produced to date.  As I've mentioned before, I sold a 7R to buy my CS and have no regrets at all.

Offline TaffCSRed

• Just got here
Here's mine, Number 290. Tornado Red, Black Roof, Black Prets, Pano Roof, DiscoverPro Nav, Rear View Camera, 90% Tints, Bucket Seats, Dynaudio, High Beam Assist

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Here's mine, Number 290. Tornado Red, Black Roof, Black Prets, Pano Roof, DiscoverPro Nav, Rear View Camera, 90% Tints, Bucket Seats, Dynaudio, High Beam Assist

TaffCSRed, love the red and black; looks fantastic. Just read your driving and car ownership history in the 'Full House' thread. That's a pretty impressive set of mk7's you've owned in a short space of time; of the three, I think the CS is my favourite.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline davegixer

• Not said much yet

That's a stunner! Nice one  :grin:
2017 GTI Clubsport Edition 40 #670
Carbon Grey Metallic, Black Roof, DSG, Leather, 19" Brescias, I'm in love with a car, help me.

Offline gogsie

• Just got here
Do either of these models have heated seats?  I assume the CSS with it's super-duper buckets doesn't but what about the Edition 40?

CSS has heated seats

I have a CS40 with heated buckets

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Do either of these models have heated seats?  I assume the CSS with it's super-duper buckets doesn't but what about the Edition 40?

Both cars have the same "super-duper" buckets, and yes they are heated.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
Quick question on the CS 40 variant, looking at a few for sale, is it really rare to find parking sensors?

I have seen a few on the back, but rarely on the front end.

Any owners comment or back thus up?

Cheers.

Offline Davey-c

• GTI forum regular
The Clubsport does not have front parking sensors, just on the back mate. Not sure of the reason why.
2023 Golf R 20 Years, Lapiz Blue, 19 Inch Black Estoril Alloys, Rear Camera, Harmon Kardon Sound System.