Author Topic: Clubsport Edition 40 and Clubsport S build numbers (and car photos)  (Read 142564 times)

Offline drisser

• I live here

never even considered a dsg - for one it just didn't seem right in the CS, 2) it adds more weight and cost  3) I drive an auto every day and their ain't any better than the 8 speed sport auto in the bmw.

Funnily enough when I test drove both R and GTi a couple of year back I agree with you that DSG suited the R better but manual suited the GTI.  Somehow I only considered - manual, 3 door, classic colour, bucket seats
Daily drive - LCI BMW 330 D Estoril Blue & Saddle leather. M sport + Pack / Prof Nav / Head Up / Heated Seats
On the way - CS ed 40 tornado red, manual, 3 door
Weekend fun - low mileage portofino blue 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2017 Build Slot reserved for BMW M2

Offline davegixer

• Not said much yet
Another question for the Clubsport 40 owners, manual or DSG? With the R, people have told me to go for DSG as it suits the car better and works with ACC well, whereas on the GTI it seems like people generally recommend the Manual. What's the case with Clubsport 40?

I went for DSG, because I've never had one (closest was an auto Mitsubishi FTO about a million years ago), and I have to say I love it and don't think I'll go back to manual, but I think it is a very personal choice based on a lot of factors. Spoke to my mate today who is a massive petrolhead and trackday loon, he's two weeks into owning his brand new S3 DSG, his first also, and he says he won't go back to manual either which seriously shocked me.

You really need to drive both, actually your list is getting longer - you need a manual and DSG CS and R....what a day of testing that will be  :evil:
2017 GTI Clubsport Edition 40 #670
Carbon Grey Metallic, Black Roof, DSG, Leather, 19" Brescias, I'm in love with a car, help me.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
Another question for the Clubsport 40 owners, manual or DSG? With the R, people have told me to go for DSG as it suits the car better and works with ACC well, whereas on the GTI it seems like people generally recommend the Manual. What's the case with Clubsport 40?

I went for DSG, because I've never had one (closest was an auto Mitsubishi FTO about a million years ago), and I have to say I love it and don't think I'll go back to manual, but I think it is a very personal choice based on a lot of factors. Spoke to my mate today who is a massive petrolhead and trackday loon, he's two weeks into owning his brand new S3 DSG, his first also, and he says he won't go back to manual either which seriously shocked me.

You really need to drive both, actually your list is getting longer - you need a manual and DSG CS and R....what a day of testing that will be  :evil:

Yes, agreed.  Mine is a DSG, as was my previous 7R and I would never go back to a manual now myself.  It was one of the reasons I didn't buy a CSS.  That said, manuals clearly still have their appeal and it's just a matter of personal preference.

Offline davegixer

• Not said much yet
This is a good review of the CS Edition 40 which is quite on topic with respect to the R and GTI comparison.
I still can't find the review with the downforce figures, but I will.

https://youtu.be/WpFzj2QwkjQ
Carbon Grey Metallic, Black Roof, DSG, Leather, 19" Brescias, I'm in love with a car, help me.

Offline LRWmotorsport

• Here all the time
DSG for me. Never had one before and thought I'd made the wrong choice prior to delivery.
After 10K with it can say it is perfect for the road use does everything you need it to. Using the paddles for the twisties never fails to put a smile on my face.
Two pedals are fun: Left foot braking ftw!

Only gripes with it are:
Dead throttle pedal when LFB properly. Can be coded out though.
When using the stick to shift its the wrong way round if you are used to a true sequential box.

DSG was definitely the right choice for me.
2015 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd #55
2016 BRSCC PGTI Championship 2nd (again) #25 & BARC Intermarque
2017 BRSCC PGTI CHAMPIONS #24

Offline infernox

• Not said much yet
For me it would be a daily driver with 90% of the driving being in the city. I'm leaning towards the clubsport at the moment and wondering if I need AWD with my usage.

Offline CS#433

• Not said much yet
Newbie, Hi  :smiley:

I picked up number 433 two weeks ago.  Loving it  :smiley:

Offline Davey-c

• GTI forum regular
Congrats mate. I've had mine for 3 weeks and loving mine to. It's a really nice car to drive, enjoy. :smiley:
2023 Golf R 20 Years, Lapiz Blue, 19 Inch Black Estoril Alloys, Rear Camera, Harmon Kardon Sound System.

Offline Davey-c

• GTI forum regular
Where are the pics mate? :wink:
2023 Golf R 20 Years, Lapiz Blue, 19 Inch Black Estoril Alloys, Rear Camera, Harmon Kardon Sound System.

Offline davegixer

• Not said much yet
I can't for the life of me find the video with the downforce claims, but I've done some digging and it seems they are exaggerated slightly on that video anyway.
The CS has 25kg of downforce above 75mph while the standard GTI and R have 60kg of lift.

I will find that video it it kills me though.