Author Topic: gti gearbox  (Read 1083 times)

Offline jef

• Just got here
gti gearbox
« on: 06 September 2004, 11:25 »
i have a gti gearbox with a very very bad whine which decreases when you lift off . and it also has lost the oil out from the join between the box and the engine, did notice this before going anywhere so should be ok with the lube side of things can you give me any ideas what replacement gearbox will fit ie any 8v or 16v from another golf model, the car is an ( f reg 16v gti gaerbox spec ( 020 )as in haynes manual, also any explaination of why the oil should run out in the first place, any help on this subject would be greatfully recivied

many thanks jef

Offline jef

• Just got here
Re: gti gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2004, 14:02 »
very new to this site, had a look round using the search button and found some info on austin gearboxs that will fit a gti can anybody tell me which austin meastro/montego gearbox will fit as i live a few mile's from a breakers who deal only in austins

jef

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2004, 15:47 »
dont bother your arse with an austin box. trust me!! the ratios are all wrong for the car. and they aint a close ratio box either - plus they will be about 10yr older than your current box!!

you'll be hard pushed to find a good 16v box. an 8v box will do the same job there is only a very slight difference in 2nd gear between the 2 boxes, 8v boxes cost about ?50 - just look in the adverts for ones breaking golfs

if you do go for an 8v box then you'll need an 8v clutch also as the input shafts are different diameter

your's sounds like the diff rivets have let go which usually cracks the casing, hence causing all the oil to seep out between the gearbox/engine join.

Offline davidhawkins_78

• I live here
  • Valver Bad Boy
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2004, 16:06 »
16 v boxes are supposed to be alot stronger than 8v's, but should be ok unless your a budding Jenson Button !

What's the score with diesel boxes on the Veedub scene - quite often they're stronger still, but I've only experience with *cough cough * Ford  ::)

'89 Monza Blue Valver
to quote a VW engineer, "the Mk1 was the prototype, the Mk2, the real thing!"

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2004, 16:51 »
the only stronger part of the 16v box is the larger input shaft to handle the extra power. but a std 8v will also handle the power without any probs

the problem is the diff rivets which really should be replaced with the diff bolt kit available from VAG

if you wanna compare boxes then here is all the ratio's

http://www.scirocco.org/gears/

Offline jef

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2004, 13:41 »
many thanks to all who make this site a success i was looking around for info on my sons gti gearbox when i came across the site it is a wealth of info and thanks for the advice, will replace the box soonest

regards to all

jef

Offline davidhawkins_78

• I live here
  • Valver Bad Boy
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2004, 14:15 »
Cheers for the comments Jef - always glad the site can be of benefit !!

'89 Monza Blue Valver
to quote a VW engineer, "the Mk1 was the prototype, the Mk2, the real thing!"

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2004, 00:50 »
Hmmm, I agree diff rivets are a problem that I have seen many times, however this may not be that bad.

The whine could be the push rod bearing (what is effectively the release bearing) and the oil leak could be the push rod seal. Usually you would also suffer with the clutch starting to slip due to the oil contamination.

Both are very easy to fix once you have the gearbox off :-\