Author Topic: 8v Standard head  (Read 2684 times)

Offline gti69

• Not said much yet
8v Standard head
« on: 12 March 2003, 17:40 »
Hello there,

I have had my Golf for about 6 months now and i can safely say it the best car i have ever owned and i have owned a few! It is a 91 8v GTi and it has just recently started to smoke on startup :-/. It doesn't smoke a lot but i want to sort it before it gets any worse. It doesn't seem to get any worse when the engine is put under load though.

I am within the next month going to have my head gasket replaced and the head skimming. I was also going to have the head re-built. I have a friend who is a mechanic so it shouldn't cost me a fortune hopefully.
I was wondering if there is anything worthwhile that should be done whilst the head is off or if there is anything i should be aware of?

Thanks for the help.

P.S. Why do peolple waste their money on Saxo's and the like. I have been unfortunate enough to have a go in a saxo VTR and i was very dissapointed! Long live the Golf!
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline 66split

• Not said much yet
Re: 8v Standard head
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2003, 18:47 »
yello, if your going as far as stipping and rebuilding the head why not go the whole hog and whip the barrels off and do the rings/big ends bore honing etc. might as well do a bottom up rebuild if your pulling it apart anyways

c ya
66split
Don't ignore where your cars evolved from. Aircooled is COOL!!

Offline gti69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2003, 18:57 »
Hi 66split,

Thanks for the advice. Would the parts required for the rebuild be expensive and where would you recommend getting them from? I have a Euro Car Parts just a 2 minute drive from where i work, would they be any good?
And also is it time consuming as i can only give my car up for a weekend due to me needing it for work?
Just one more thing please if possible, what sort of benefits would i see from having this carried out?

You will have to excuse my ignorance as i have no idea but i am eager to learn!

Thanks alot mate.

Thsi forum is much better than the one on Awesomes website. Keep up the good work ;D

Offline 66split

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2003, 13:22 »
hi, i would imagine the parts would not cost more than perhaps 2 or 3 hundred quid.  Euro are cool, i think they would even do an engine rebuild kit comprising gaskets, rings(poss pistons)big end, little end,valveguides,seals and a few other odd and sods. the benefits are, you will have a brand spanking new motor that would have to be driven v carefully for a few hundred miles, but you could rest in peace knowing its gonna be a good one. see, if its smoking a bit i would say its done a lot of hard miles and could do with the head rebuilding and the rings replacing at least(don't get me wrong your motor could go on for another 20000 miles with no problemswithout any repairs) . If youve got the head off its little more effort to get the barrels off and do the big/little ends while you do the rings.  If youve got a decent mechanic it shouldnt take more than 3 or 4 days at the most.
Don't ignore where your cars evolved from. Aircooled is COOL!!

Offline gti69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2003, 13:30 »
Hi 66split,

Thanks for all the info. I will be paying euro car parts a visit very soon and purchasing all the bits! I can't wait now for it to be done as i am hopefully going to try and restore the car bit by bit.

Thanks again ;D

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2003, 13:53 »
By the way, your smoking on start up is almost certainly due to your valve guide oil seals being worn......common problem. Make sure those seals are replaced when you have your head rebuilt (I'm sure they will as a matter of course anyway but best to check). If its not smoking under load then the rings are fine.
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by -1 »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2003, 13:59 »
Hi 66split,

Thanks for the advice. Would the parts required for the rebuild be expensive and where would you recommend getting them from? I have a Euro Car Parts just a 2 minute drive from where i work, would they be any good?
And also is it time consuming as i can only give my car up for a weekend due to me needing it for work?
Just one more thing please if possible, what sort of benefits would i see from having this carried out?

You will have to excuse my ignorance as i have no idea but i am eager to learn!

Thanks alot mate.

Thsi forum is much better than the one on Awesomes website. Keep up the good work ;D

Having the head rebuilt skimmed etc., can probably be done in a weekend, just whip the head off and a way you go. To do what 66split is suggesting, especially the honing of the cylinders, is going to involve a lot more work which will include removing the complete engine. Not something I would recommend if you can only give your car up for weekends, especially if the bottom end is running OK at the moment, IMHO  :)

Offline gti69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2003, 14:00 »
Will do mate,

I have posted on the awesome forum before but nobody seems willing to help. This forum is good and very informative.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Offline gti69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2003, 14:05 »
I can probably give my car up for a bit longer as i will have access to my old mans car, but i obviously can't take the P**s as he will want to use it aswell.

The idea of a new rebuilt engine appeals to me as i am planning on keeping the car for quite a while and i might aswell do it now whilst i can afford it!

Thanks for all the advice richandhazel.

Offline tinman

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2003, 14:36 »
Hello there,

I have had my Golf for about 6 months now and i can safely say it the best car i have ever owned and i have owned a few! It is a 91 8v GTi and it has just recently started to smoke on startup :-/. It doesn't smoke a lot but i want to sort it before it gets any worse. It doesn't seem to get any worse when the engine is put under load though.

I am within the next month going to have my head gasket replaced and the head skimming. I was also going to have the head re-built. I have a friend who is a mechanic so it shouldn't cost me a fortune hopefully.
I was wondering if there is anything worthwhile that should be done whilst the head is off or if there is anything i should be aware of?

Thanks for the help.

P.S. Why do peolple waste their money on Saxo's and the like. I have been unfortunate enough to have a go in a saxo VTR and i was very dissapointed! Long live the Golf!

The other thing to check is the crankcase breather vavle (i can never remember the name of it - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

I am told its a common Golf problem, and easy to fix and exhibits the same problems you mention.

Depending on age of the car, and the wear already in the engine, you could have the engine rebored 0.25mm or 0.5mm, and get new piston heads.

Regards,
Justin