Author Topic: CATACLEAN Any good?  (Read 3635 times)

Robracer

CATACLEAN Any good?
« on: 23 June 2015, 20:03 »
Hi Peep's,

I'm just toying with the idea of having to buy a new catalytic converter for my newly acquired golf mk4 2.08v due to rising emissions or buy some CATACLEAN. But is it worth using? Does it actually clean a cat for instance?

I've got full vagcom, it's telling me this at the mo:

Plus I've given the engine an oil change at the weekend, going to replace the spark plugs & air filter next. But will the Cataclean help thing's, or will i need a new cat?

Cheers in advance, Rob

Offline madmanmart

• I live here
Re: CATACLEAN Any good?
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2015, 20:36 »
Don't bother it's just snake oil :grin:

Don't get a non genuine either, get a low mile second hand.

Mk3 Golf 3dr GTI 16v
Mk3 Golf Cabriolet TD
20vt Corrado track car project

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2015, 00:20 »
Why o why would anyone look at readiness screen?

Look at fault codes and see what it tells you there....
Post fault codes here.

BTW, why are you on version 12 VCDS if you have the full thing... currently we're on 14.xx unless you have a china clone that doesn't run on it (because it is not genuine item).
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Robracer

« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2015, 18:44 »
When I bought the car, it was showing a code for the cat. Below threshold to be exact. So I cleared it, to see if it would re-appear? the cat code hasn't but the readiness screen show's what it show's? Plus the car stinks strongly of fuel at the mo whilst idling.
So the cat must be on its way out? But yeah I do have the 12xx vagcom version, it works fine for me. I'm not going to pay hundreds more for the genuine one when mine does all I need it to. Plus I have access to a Snap On Solus diagnostic module when I need it, but the 12xx vagcom work's for me

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2015, 19:27 »
Is the cat emptied out?
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Robracer

« Reply #5 on: 24 June 2015, 23:19 »
That's what I hope to find out this weekend? I'm going to remove it to check it? It also looks like the previous owner only drove 600 miles last year aswell. Plus in the boot I found an old can of WURTH fuel cleaner, so I'm also guessing the previous owner had previously tried to rectify the cat in some way?