Author Topic: First time VW owner (MK3 Golf GTI)  (Read 954 times)

Offline GriffsUp

• Just got here
First time VW owner (MK3 Golf GTI)
« on: 22 August 2022, 12:24 »
Hi all!

Just picked up my first ever VW a few days ago, a MK3 Golf GTI 8v.

Lovely little motor that's standard throughout, so far I'm loving it! As I'm a new owner, if there's any must do's/must not do's for mods then let me know! Although I do plan to keep the car as standard as possible to be honest.

Look forward to getting to know people and their motors! For now, here's mine...

Griff.

Offline JSYGTI

• Not said much yet
Re: First time VW owner (MK3 Golf GTI)
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2022, 19:22 »
Stunning, and looks like it's in great shape. Dragon green I believe.

Yeah, I'd be looking to keep it as standard as poss too, maybe only upgrade to options that were available at the time but it doesn't have. Like leather seats etc.

Offline GriffsUp

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2022, 06:30 »
Stunning, and looks like it's in great shape. Dragon green I believe.

Yeah, I'd be looking to keep it as standard as poss too, maybe only upgrade to options that were available at the time but it doesn't have. Like leather seats etc.

Yes its in great nick for a 25 year old car!

I've got some BBS alloy wheels from the VR6 which I'm going to stick on to see how they look, and it needs a few things tidying up/replacing like some trim and the number plates but other than that she's a stunner :D

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2022, 11:59 »
Welcome GriffsUp  :smiley:
That’s a remarkably tidy mk3, is it a particularly low owner and low mileage car? Will you use it much?
One thing I’d recommend with a mk3 is getting some gas dampers to take the wallow out of the ride without firming it up too much, no need to spend a fortune on a spring and damper kit if the original springs aren’t broken. Plus check all the bushes are good, the mk3 GTI had something VW called the ‘plus axle’ which was supposed to add some agility to the rear suspension, to work properly the bushes would need to be in decent condition. Mind you the factory spring and damper rates took away a lot of that agility!
On an R reg yours will have the later SIMOS fuel injection which does make the car drive better than the earlier ones, they’re pretty good on fuel too.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline GriffsUp

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2022, 13:57 »
Welcome GriffsUp  :smiley:
That’s a remarkably tidy mk3, is it a particularly low owner and low mileage car? Will you use it much?

Thanks! :smiley: It's 2 owners (me being 3rd) and 48k genuine miles (Absolutely tons of history/invoices/receipts etc)

I'll be using it daily for 6 months or so, then it will become a secondary car to try and keep the mileage down.

Thanks for the advice I'll certainly get onto those!
« Last Edit: 23 August 2022, 13:59 by GriffsUp »