Author Topic: It's Pick Up Day!!!  (Read 21620 times)

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Re: It's Pick Up Day!!!
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2015, 18:23 »
You get a little numb waiting so long. I don't even think I am too excited at this stage, it will take me seeing my R in the fleash to pump up my enthusiasm again. The GTD has been running like a dream this week, I might be (slightly) sorry to see it go.

I too was not one bit excited when I collected my R as I was very unwell at the time and was sad to see my beautiful BMW go the day before. I was concerned that I probably had made the wrong choice going backwards to a hatchback and a non-premium one at that. Plus, the stupidly long wait (9 months in total) due to the previous cancellation by me of my first R order (really crappy dealer which generally is the VW norm) did not help.

I was not one bit convinced with the car and for the first few weeks I really hated it. It was noisy, rough riding and slow. Then one fine day, I took the bull by the horns, got the tyre pressures reduced to manufacturer levels, reduced the stupid Soundaktor level to zero and pumped the fuel tank with Shell V-Power Nitro+. (I am positive the dealer used the cheaper stuff).

Suddenly, as if my magic, the car came alive and I was smitten but not by enough to miss my BMW. That took a couple more weeks. Finally, after 1.5 months, I stopped missing driving the BMW. R love has blossomed. Hope it continues.

There have been a few problems like badly hung front doors and badly fitting front grille. My car is slightly wonky like many Mk7s I have seen and it is certainly not as well built as our BMW. The R has a lot of obvious cost cutting in comparison. I accept this especially as I have not paid through the nose to have one. I will gradually forgive and forget these build issues and my enjoyment of the car will continue to increase, I am sure.

Will I get another VW? The jury is out on this one as I still like the cachet of being a BMW owner. Pretentious I agree. Perhaps Mercedes might rear its head. But, for the here and now, the R is all the car I want and need.

All the best MH for tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2015, 20:57 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2015, 19:06 »
Just seen a potential spanner in the works for tomorrow. My insurance docs for the 5 day free insurance (to tax the car) have come through and are stating the wrong registration number. Absolute sh!t-for-brains at VW Insurance. We spelt everything out in the phonetic alphabet, so it's not like the Wiltshire sounding lass misheard my North East accent. Will be onto them tomorrow morning.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2015, 19:16 »
Just seen a potential spanner in the works for tomorrow. My insurance docs for the 5 day free insurance (to tax the car) have come through and are stating the wrong registration number. Absolute sh!t-for-brains at VW Insurance. We spelt everything out in the phonetic alphabet, so it's not like the Wiltshire sounding lass misheard my North East accent. Will be onto them tomorrow morning.

When I picked my car up from VW it had the wrong number plates on it- they had transposed two of the letters.
When I gave the reg off the plates to my insurance after running it on the free 5 day VW insurance they looked it up and asked me "Is it a white Ford Transit van?" I realised then something was not quite right! :huh:

They must have all been on the same training course by the sound of it.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #23 on: 28 May 2015, 19:33 »
How do they confuse ND15HYR for GY15XZO?  :sick:

On the phone now as they don't close until 8pm, been on hold for 21 mins so far to wait to speak to someone.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2015, 19:36 »
How do they confuse ND15HYR for GY15XZO?  :sick:

On the phone now as they don't close until 8pm, been on hold for 21 mins so far to wait to speak to someone.

Incredible. Sh!t for brains.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 28 May 2015, 20:48 »
MH: Did you manage to get through?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 28 May 2015, 21:51 »
MH: Did you manage to get through?

Yes, just. A lad picked up at 19:48, after being on for 43 minutes. New (and correct) insurance cert issued via email. He couldn't believe how the lass had got it so wrong comparing mine to the one given in error. I said he'll probably get a call off someone tomorrow that has my numberplate -a straight swap, as the lass had tried to do 2 things at once. He said "who told women they could multitask?". Nice and easy to deal with when I finally got through.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 28 May 2015, 21:53 »
Looked through the registration declaration earlier - was quite impressed. My road tax is for £186, which puzzled me (should be £180), until I read that it was for 12 months + 1 week, so you don't miss out on a months tax for the sake of a few days - when did the DVLA start doing that?  :smiley:

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 28 May 2015, 22:47 »
Interesting about the Road tax. Glad the Reg Plate farce got sorted.

So tomorrow you will be the proud owner of a Lapiz Blue R, 5 door, Prets and Bridgestone tyres (probably).

Congratulations in advance and welcome to the ever increasing fold.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 28 May 2015, 22:51 by am1w »

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 29 May 2015, 05:47 »
Being a bit unnerved by the fuel gauge readings right now. My commute is 13 miles each way, and at work yesterday, it said "30 miles" on the range. Knowing that this should get me home, and then back to work (today) and that Durham is about 18 miles away from work, I decided to put £4 of diesel in to get me those 18 miles. If you don't fill up beyond the red and just trickle a bit in, neither the range, nor the fuel gauge move. So I know that I should have enough in for getting back to work today and then Durham beyond that, but that lack of reassurance in the fuel gauge is quite unnerving - will I crack and put another few quid in on the way to work..... :whistle: