Author Topic: STOLEN - GOLF GTD  (Read 8684 times)

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
Re: STOLEN - GOLF GTD
« Reply #20 on: 18 February 2015, 12:02 »
Hi noexcuse, that's just awful mate :( There aren't strong enough words to be used for people like that. All the best to you and your wife.

Ross, any news on your GTD?

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 18 February 2015, 17:11 »
Hi Ross,

I was not so lucky, 2nd Feb (on my birthday!) 6.39pm sounded like a madman with an axe hammering down the front door glass breaking . I was in the front room with my 4 year old and wife had just gone into the kitchen. Both of us rushed into the hallway wife shouted they are trying to get into the house we have an inner door which she shut and locked. All that was running through my head  "they have the wrong house why are they trying to break in". I rang the police got through and was reporting that someone is trying to break down the front door The wife shouted they are after the keys let them take them. I gave a description of the car and reg number. After reviewing the CCTV footage 2 guys dropped off in the cul-de-sac with grey jogging bottoms masked and gloved up took them 1 min 53 seconds from walking into the driveway and driving off. They picked up a large stone (size of a breeze block) and thought that would break the centre panel in the upvc door it bounced back they tried a second time same result then picked it up again and tried hammering the glass but the inner panel would not break (the outer panel had a decorative leaded design which prevented it from giving way and shattering. At this point a car came up the cul-de-sac and turned into a row of houses further down they jumped into the neighbour’s driveway to hide as soon as the car disappeared up the side street they jumped back over which can only be described as like monkeys and continued with throwing the stone through a 1.7m x 1.3m double glazed toughened window which shattered into a million pieces. One of them put his hand through and struggled to pull the keys out of the back of the door wife saw he had blue gloves on. Once they pulled the keys they got into the car started it and drove off slowly as though they were in no hurry. Wife is badly traumatised she starts to panic as it gets dark and will not go into the kitchen once dark, She is fearful that they will comeback. Insurance company have been brilliant had asked for the logbook and spare key and made an offer of replacing the car like for like (10.5 months old). Wife is adamant if we have the same car they will come back again. Cannot take a risk of a repeat incident with having a child in the house and having opted for the market value figure, luckily I had taken out gap insurance (thank you for the recommendation from the forum members having spent many an evening reading about the MK 7 GTD) who are covering the shortfall and £250 of my £350 insurance excess. Unfortunately not so lucky on the home insurance front approx. £3.5k in damage with a £500 excess. Been in the current house 15 years and never having ever made a home insurance claim in my life. Thought keeping the premium down with a higher excess was possibly a false  economy in this instance. Even though I have a maintained burglar alarm with panic buttons (did not even think of pressing the panic button due to the shock and speed) Anti snap locks and CCTV.
The message I would like to pass on to prevent anyone else falling victim. Never leave any key in the front door (not even the door key). Prepare a plan (if there is someone at the front door trying to break it down) like a fire exit plan if ever you woke up to find your house on fire and the biggest regret is not having fitted a simple tracking device (had read up on the cheap one’s on Amazon less than £30 but for some reason never purchased it).

Golf GTD MK7, Carbon Steel Grey, Leather, Rear Camera, Park Assist and Keyless complete with a DTUK box.

Nasty Bastards.

We had some idiot shouting and swearing in the street at 3am on Saturday/Sunday morning my daughter woke up terrified spend the rest of the night in with us, she is now shouting through everytime she hears a noise.

Would hate to think of the impact of something like what you went through happening.

Offline Ross Detours

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 25 February 2015, 17:13 »
Thanks everyone but no news yet. Starting to go through the insurance process and I must say VW Financial Services (it's a business lease) have been great so far. They are doing all the liaison with my insurance company and negotiating hard to try and get a like for like replacement... fingers crossed.

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #23 on: 25 February 2015, 17:37 »
Horrible to say mate, but I reakon that's long gone now, would you want another? It's a shame that you can't even protect your car by having the keys in the house isn't it!! What else can you do?
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline Bluefloyd

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 25 February 2015, 17:59 »
After being a victim of car crime many years ago, I dreamed of the day the bstRds wouldn't be able to pinch our cars with a screwdriver  or whatever. Now I'm not so sure. Having a 3 year old girl, I would rather my car goes off my drive in the middle of the night without me knowing than put her through the ordeal other members have been through. Definitely a case of be careful what you wish for! 
Black Gtd with box

Offline Ross Detours

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 20 March 2015, 09:32 »
Sorry to bump this post back up but didn't think it was worth starting a new thread...

Quick update: I settled my insurance last week and the GTD is now written off. I've decided to go for something bigger, older, faster and generally more ridiculous, coz why the hell not! So I've bought a BMW 635D!

Thanks to everyone on here (special shout to P3asa) for your help/tips/knowledge over my short term of Golf ownership!

Offline charlie

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 20 March 2015, 11:12 »
Sorry to bump this post back up but didn't think it was worth starting a new thread...

Quick update: I settled my insurance last week and the GTD is now written off. I've decided to go for something bigger, older, faster and generally more ridiculous, coz why the hell not! So I've bought a BMW 635D!

Thanks to everyone on here (special shout to P3asa) for your help/tips/knowledge over my short term of Golf ownership!
Just googled 635d it gets an awesome right up enjoy buddy sad that you had to go threw all that previously but it's behind you now enjoy the new motor  :cool:
2012 black pearl Golf gti mark 6 5 door leather cruise 510rns bluetooth acc dab sunroof park assist rear camera parking sensors storage pack and the luxury pack :-) sold :/( now aiming a 2013 passat alltrack

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 20 March 2015, 17:55 »
Horrible to say mate, but I reakon that's long gone now, would you want another? It's a shame that you can't even protect your car by having the keys in the house isn't it!! What else can you do?

Trouble is you're not even safe on the street - two cases of carjacking of Mk7 Golf R 's this week in Stoke and Coundon.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2015, 17:58 by TwoSheds »

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #28 on: 20 March 2015, 19:51 »
Lavender Ave and Hastings Road...used to live in Cov myself...don't miss the place if I'm honest lol

'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 20 March 2015, 20:48 »

Good to see you've got things settled Ross and an interesting choice in replacement  :smiley:  I've just looked it up and its a beast.

I'll keep my eyes open for you, that is if you put your plates on.

All the best.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14