Author Topic: MereKat - Mk3 GTi - Cheap and cheerful!  (Read 5468 times)

Offline MereKat

• GTI forum regular
MereKat - Mk3 GTi - Cheap and cheerful!
« on: 15 November 2012, 12:45 »
Well, here it is! My £250 16v...i bought it as a car with some issues with the intention of working on it slowly and bringing it up to a nice spec. Hit a small wall straight away though...

I bought it like this:

Looks alright from the outside really, couple of spots to sort, but then this:

And this:

The guy said it was lowered on -30mm springs...i thought it looked lower but went with it anyway, turned out the springs had 4 coils cut off when i took it to a mate to see what was 'knocking'!

When i bought it, it had no centre or back box on the exhaust! Had a new center in the boot, but couldn't get it fitted on the guys drive, so drove it home as it was...loud! New center fitted up, and a VR6 back box on and it's driveable, however the VR box rear bracket snapped and it's now hitting the rear beam on load! Will get it re-welded when the sills are done though.

Then, a quick Clean, Polish and back-to-black:

All the plastics were like the tow-eye surround...

Got some new wiper blades, and the arm slipped with no blade on it.....:

Gutted!

Then got some coilovers! Currently sits like this:

Apart from a black bonnet, that's how it is at the moment! Future plans are to paint the grille, get the sills repaired, new wing, new backbox, new coilovers (unless it's just the topmounts making noises!), replace the interior (Although its in very good nick, the drivers seat has the usual wear)

I took to a local guy to check the sills out properly, and he said 'They're shot, i can replace them but it's going to be another £250+ depending what cutting the rust out reveals'. So! Off to a new friend thats a legend with metal....booked in at the end of the month for patching the sills and jack points, and sorting a couple of holes in the floor...hell of a lot cheaper!

Also, there was a 'bit' under the center pipe to center box that attaches to the floor either side of the exhause which i snapped off on a speed bump...no idea if it serves a purpose or not?...

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
Re: MereKat - Mk3 GTi - Cheap and cheerful!
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2012, 12:49 »
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Keep it all white mate! They are lovely and getting rare so dont ruin it with a black bonnet!
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline MereKat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2012, 13:55 »
lol i quite like it. Still got the white one, but it has loads of laquer peel, so will be my first painting attempt when i eventually get my shed sorted!

The roof is the same, peeling like a good'un and has rust around the top of the windscreen, so going to clean it, treat it and black gloss vinyl over it as a temp measure, as the car wont fit in the shed!

Offline andynorfolk

• Here all the time
  • if at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2012, 18:35 »
nice to see another Daily Dubs member on here :)

Offline CJA321

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2012, 18:49 »
Defo keep it white!! Looks allright nick though!! Good for 250!

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2012, 00:03 »
Really dont see many mk3's in white these days.

Offline MereKat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2013, 18:18 »
Got some different wheels a few days ago...

Oh, sorry Len :D

Needs a good clean though!

Next will be sort the windscreen as its still cracked, sort a backbox as its still broke, new gear linkage, paint the grille (may go for a non gti one) and MOT it again (Due March i think)