Author Topic: 2-door vs 4-door  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Bonkers

• Just got here
2-door vs 4-door
« on: 10 June 2005, 08:23 »
Has anyone done a cabin space comparison between the 2 and 4-door Golfs?
Is it the same size at the back or is one larger than the other?
Apart from the doors, are there any other significant differences?
I assume wheelbase and track are the same. Weight? Cheers. ;)

Offline scotty4

• GTI forum regular
Re: 2-door vs 4-door
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2005, 12:30 »
don't know mate, but i would go for a 3 door everytime, looks alot better
MK5 GTI BLUE GRAPHITE 3 DOOR

Offline Soarerv8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2005, 23:28 »
Same room in the back however 3 door doors are longer (worth considering if you park in a garage).
I have a 5 door but I do have to agree with previous poster that 3 door looks better. However needs must and it is a damn site easier to get people in the back of a 5 door. Also there is a bigger market when you come to sell a 5 door hatch and more of an "enthusiast" market for a 3 door.

Offline Bonkers

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2005, 05:45 »
Same room in the back however 3 door doors are longer (worth considering if you park in a garage).
I have a 5 door but I do have to agree with previous poster that 3 door looks better. However needs must and it is a damn site easier to get people in the back of a 5 door. Also there is a bigger market when you come to sell a 5 door hatch and more of an "enthusiast" market for a 3 door.

Thanks for the info. I've also heard that the drivers seat in the 3-door does not come with an electric option, seeing that it needs to be moved for rear access. Also noticed that the door handles are different.. the 3 door has a vertical hand grip while the 5 door has a horizontal slot-type grip. Anyone know the weight difference? Surely the 3-door is lighter. Cheers.. :)

Offline prime1000

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2005, 19:29 »
don't know mate, but i would go for a 3 door everytime, looks alot better
I'd agree the three door looks better but it still looks like a dumpy egg next to a NIssan Z, MAzda RX*, TOyota MR2,,, point is why buy a three door when the five ddor offers somuch better usability? A three door GTI's still a hatchback in looks compared to a purpose built sports car,,,,

Offline bobby

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 06 July 2005, 13:53 »
According to brochure 5dr is slightly heavier, i think by 20kg but hardly matters, I've ordered the 5dr, 3 doors are a pig when in a tight parking space.

Offline scotty4

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2005, 15:49 »
i drive a celica at the moment, so i have done the sport car look, i feel i am almost buying a gti because of the history of the car and the reviews, believe it or not not really thought to much about how the car looks.

cant wait only 3 more months to wait, counting the days!!!!!
MK5 GTI BLUE GRAPHITE 3 DOOR