Author Topic: Build quality on MkV GTI  (Read 3232 times)

Offline pregamon

• Just got here
Build quality on MkV GTI
« on: 09 May 2005, 14:50 »
I understand that all right-hand drive Mk V GTIs are made in South Africa. Has anyone faced any build quality issues with their examples? I've just taken delivery of my tornado red GTI and it doesn't seem to be as robustly built as the left-hand drive models that I came across in Germany.

cheers
rl

Offline BOGGLE

• I live here
Re: Build quality on MkV GTI
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2005, 15:07 »
Not so sure about the mk5, but when i bought my mk4 i was told to steer clear of south african ones.  It so happened that because of the extras and colour that i wanted i had to go for a south african one.  I have had no problems with t he build quality and mine is now 6 years old.  Hope this helps.

Before....During.....After

Offline lagrian

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2005, 15:30 »
my dealer said mine was being made in Wolfsburg and its a UK right hand drive one, but he has got few things wrong already so maybe he's wrong

Offline pregamon

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2005, 15:34 »
some one told me that the codes on the chassis number reveals where the car's made, but i'm not quite sure how to read the codes though  :sad:

Offline lagrian

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2005, 15:36 »
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive ! :cry:

Offline Organisys

• I live here
  • Old and Slow...
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2005, 13:19 »
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive ! :cry:

If the number starts "WVW..." Then it's Wolfsburg.

... it's turned into a fashion show for poofters.

Offline cbp

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2005, 22:03 »
I am in Brisbane. I am told that all our stock comes from South Africa. I just ordered a 2 litre comfortline TDI DSG. The vin begins WVWZZZ1K Z 4V, then six digits. Where does that leave us?

Offline Richartt

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2005, 13:01 »
I am in Brisbane. I am told that all our stock comes from South Africa. I just ordered a 2 litre comfortline TDI DSG. The vin begins WVWZZZ1K Z 4V, then six digits. Where does that leave us?
The first 3 digits in the VIN identify the manufacturer, not necessarily the assembly plant.  The plant is identified by digit 11.  Having said that, I don't have a breakdown of how the countries and manufacturers are identified to hand.  There is an ISO publication that sets it all out for anyone who is really that interested.