Author Topic: GTI Clubsport Scratching/Grinding Noise  (Read 1039 times)

Offline TheWolf

• Just got here
GTI Clubsport Scratching/Grinding Noise
« on: 10 July 2023, 08:50 »
I bought a second hand GTI Clubsport on Saturday and when i got it home, realised that it has a sort of scratching/grinding noise at low speed (before the road noise kicks in), probably 2mph - 20mph.

It sounds as though it is coming from the drivers side front wheel, and especially noticeable when turning left, putting more weight on that wheel. The suspension seems squeaky when manually pushing the car up and down.

Its a strange one though as you cant hear it from outside of the car.

Any help would be great!!

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
Re: GTI Clubsport Scratching/Grinding Noise
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2023, 10:08 »
I had strange noises from my suspension when I first got my GTI about a year ago. Initially it was attributed to the bumps stops on the front suspension  but after several visits to the dealer the bearings on the top mount of the suspension were changed and the noise stopped. Fine since. If it is the front suspension mounts there's a TPI (2064607/2), advice to the dealer on how to rectify it. There have been a few on the forum have experienced this problem.
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline TheWolf

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2023, 12:44 »
Thanks for the advice!

I have booked it into VW on Thursday, hopefully the problem gets sorted.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2023, 14:54 »
This might help you  visualise the problems. It’s a Volkswizard video on an older GTI and it turned out not to be his problem but it gives a view of the parts potentially involved, I.e. bump stops and top mount bearings. Maybe you already know these.

https://youtu.be/VOVi_uFkRUc
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline TheWolf

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2023, 13:05 »
Had it in to VW last week, and sure enough it was the top suspension mounts/bearings!

All sorted under warranty and the noise has dissappeared  :smiley: