Author Topic: Sticky Flaps  (Read 767 times)

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
Sticky Flaps
« on: 06 August 2022, 12:31 »
Just sat in Servicing at Inchcape after going to fill up and not being able to get the fuel flap open. Tried locking and unlocking a few times, whilst applying some pressure on the flap but still can't budge it and it feels like the actuator isn't even trying, or is wedged pretty good. The tech did the same thing to no avail and has just took it in to hook it up to diagnostic to see if the actuator has failed.

Anyone else had this issue?
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Online SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Sticky Flaps
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2022, 12:53 »
Sticking fuel flap was a fairly common issue on the mk7 Golf - I think the cause on the mk7 was locking pin used to get stuck in the plastic loop on the inside of the filler flap that pin slides in/out of when it locks and unlocks. VW’s warranty fix was to shave off a small amount of plastic from the locking loop to give the pin more room to slide in and out of the loop.

Not heard of this being an issue on the mk8, and a failed actuator is a possibility if it sounds like it’s not responding to you locking and unlocking the car.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2022, 14:06 »
Yeah, it's a failed actuator. They've had to break it open and have booked it in for a warranty fix.

On a side-note, it's also going to have a software update. I've been luckier than most with regards to software issues - Exonian has been the same, I think, and we both got our ClubSports at roughly the same time, back in March '21 - so I hope this update doesn't cause any problems now.

I asked if it would enable wireless Android Auto and the lady at the service desk didn't seem to think it would.

I also asked if there was any news on the replacement engine cover and she said that she believes it is just about to be rolled out, but couldn't be more specific.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2022, 11:57 »
Mine was mid-December 2020 and one of the very first batch, but it’s possible your car was from either the same shipment or just after Brocky. Initial uptake was sketchy so some cars sat around at dealers until the new plate whilst we were in and out of CV19 restrictions. Since then it seems very few have been built, I wonder if R production is just as slow.
Mind you mine wasn’t in regular use until March 21 as it was blocked in by my son’s crap whilst he was waiting for his house to be built. He had enough stuff to fill a mansion but had bought a 2 bed rabbit hutch.

Fingers crossed no actuator issues with mine yet (touch wood) despite the car living outdoors and therefore going through constant heat and moisture cycles unlike previous Golfs I’ve had which were always garaged. However a few weeks ago I filled up and the flap didn’t lock into the closed position properly so was flapping open when I started driving. It was ok when pushed closed again a few miles up the road when I managed to dive into a lay-by.

Did they suggest the software update at the dealership or did you ask about it?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2022, 16:28 »
Mine was a stock car, so could have been sat around for a while.  All I know for sure is that I had a few initial niggles but have had nowhere near the issues that many have and I had noticed over time that you had reported the same.  I think I remember Fred saying there was a change of hardware very early on and I think both ours have the earlier unit.

When I booked in to have the actuator done, the lady mentioned that there were "A few recalls" to be done also.  I told her that I had already had the engine cover one done and then asked if there was any update on the replacement, as mentioned above.  She then said there's also a software update, so they would need the car for most of the day.  I then asked if she knew if the update would enable wireless Android Auto, which she didn't know.  I should have asked for more specifics on the recalls, but didn't, as I had already spent over an hour sat waiting and wanted to get off before the traffic got bad.

I'll make sure to post when it has been in on the 17th.

Random question: If I have tyres included in my service plan, but I provide my own tyres, am I still covered for them to fit them?  I want to put a set of PS4Ss on and, if I can get them to fit them, that will save me a few quid.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2022, 18:27 »
Put simply, you’re doing them a massive favour by providing tires, so I see no reason why they wouldn’t. If the won’t, then have their maintenance plan tires, pay for changing yourself and sell there’s with a few miles on to cover your costs??

My story might be helpful… my GTD was on LEX autolease and included maintenance plan, when the time came for new tires I went to kwikfit as per the agreement who replaced the mediocre Bridgestones with some eco friendly, soft side walled absolute crap. I thought they’d broken the car as the handling was almost completely gone.

To say the least, I was not impressed, they refused to change them no matter how much I complained. My company didn’t care so wouldn’t help me contact LEX, in the end, I just burnt through the tires as quickly as possible, deliberately wheel spinning at every safe opportunity.

When it was time again I kicked up such a stink at kwikfit and almost fell out with them until I got to speak to the manager. I insisted they put on the correct OEM spec tire, at the end of the day LEX charge us maintenance plans based on the spec of the car, not generic prices. Eventually they agreed and fitted the latest Continental sport contact tires which were pretty decent.

The moral of this is, whilst I didn’t get UUHP like the PS4s, if your car came with Goodyear eagle supersports (like my CS45) you’re well within your rights to insist they fit these or equivalent tires.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2022, 18:41 »
I wonder if you offered to pay the difference in price between whatever the dealer deem fit to supply and the MPS4S that they would sanction that.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2022, 23:59 »
Put simply, you’re doing them a massive favour by providing tires, so I see no reason why they wouldn’t. If the won’t, then have their maintenance plan tires, pay for changing yourself and sell there’s with a few miles on to cover your costs??

My story might be helpful… my GTD was on LEX autolease and included maintenance plan, when the time came for new tires I went to kwikfit as per the agreement who replaced the mediocre Bridgestones with some eco friendly, soft side walled absolute crap. I thought they’d broken the car as the handling was almost completely gone.

To say the least, I was not impressed, they refused to change them no matter how much I complained. My company didn’t care so wouldn’t help me contact LEX, in the end, I just burnt through the tires as quickly as possible, deliberately wheel spinning at every safe opportunity.

When it was time again I kicked up such a stink at kwikfit and almost fell out with them until I got to speak to the manager. I insisted they put on the correct OEM spec tire, at the end of the day LEX charge us maintenance plans based on the spec of the car, not generic prices. Eventually they agreed and fitted the latest Continental sport contact tires which were pretty decent.

The moral of this is, whilst I didn’t get UUHP like the PS4s, if your car came with Goodyear eagle supersports (like my CS45) you’re well within your rights to insist they fit these or equivalent tires.

I wonder if you offered to pay the difference in price between whatever the dealer deem fit to supply and the MPS4S that they would sanction that.

Interesting stuff.  Cheers.  I will give Inchcape a buzz tomorrow and see where they stand on it.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport