Author Topic: Aircon vent slats scratch - repair advice?  (Read 765 times)

Offline Alienatrix

• Not said much yet
Aircon vent slats scratch - repair advice?
« on: 24 November 2022, 19:36 »
Evening all,

Was hoovering the interior this afternoon and ended up slightly marking one of my Aircon vent slats.

Best way to describe it, is the silver bit of trim, picture attached of the area I'm talking about.

I know it's a first world problem, but it's annoying me more than anything.

I'm just wondering if there are any tips on how to clean/clear/repair it etc...

When I run my finger over it, I can feel the scratch on my skin, but not when I use my nail, so it's a very soft scratch/scuff mark.

Or, should just leave it and admire it as one of those proud used car scars?

Thanks

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Aircon vent slats scratch - repair advice?
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2022, 20:35 »
I feel your pain.
It’s funny how small bits of damage like this are extraordinarily annoying.
Always a worry trying to rectify them that the damage ends up worse, just try not to look at it!

I think you might have clicked thumbnail when you uploaded the photo as it’s a bit minuscule. Even with my Poundland binoculars on I can’t see much!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2022, 08:17 »
Can’t see much in the picture but a very fine brush with a tiny dab of silver paint would make it less noticeable or a silver ink pen?
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2022, 08:31 »
In my experience you just have to get a new trim piece, you could try polishing it but then there's the risk it either eats through the chrome, discolours or just looks shinier than the rest of the pieces.

Depending on how it breaks down you could get very lucky and a new part only be a few pounds. I noticed a side skirt on my car was badly scratched and my dealer only charged me for the part no labour to fit it.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/