Author Topic: Experience/Thoughts re Moonstone (and Mk 8 fuel consumption)  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
I am still looking through the limited stock of used GTIs available. What are the general thoughts/observations/ experience about Moonstone; it’s upkeep and durability. Is it prone to scratching? As an aside, given the current cost of petrol, is the real world consumption of a Mk 8 in general any different to a 7.5? I know many factors influence this but is there a real world difference/trend?
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Can't say I've noticed much problems with moonstone and I'm fourteen months and about 13k miles.

Fuel consumption, about 28 in heavy traffic and 38 on flowing a roads assuming you aren't hammering it. Best was 50 down the motorway at 65!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
Thanks Fred. It wasn’t a colour I was looking for but I have the chance of one with Adelaides. I replaced the 19s on my current car. Not sure if there’s anything else on it. I am planning to have a drive in it.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
The durability and susceptibility to scratches for Moonstone shouldn’t be any different to any other colours that VW use on the mk8, as the same painting process is used in the factory for solid, metallic and pearlescent colours; primer coat, colour coat, clear coat (I think Oryx White is the exception - I believe it has an extra stage in the painting process). However, lighter colours are better than darker colours at ‘hiding’ minor scratches and swirls, and I’d say that Moonstone should be quite forgiving in terms of hiding such minor imperfections.

A few sensible precautions when it comes to the regular washing routine will help to minimise the risk of swirling to the paintwork from the washing process;
  • use a safe wash technique; pre-rinse, two bucket wash method with a decent wash mitt and drying with good quality plush drying towels or a warm air dryer. There’s some good advice in the sticky ‘Rebecca’s Guide to Detailing’ on the Detailing forum board, and on sites such as Detailing World - this is a good intro guide to safe washing on the Detailing World site; https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4637.
  • never let the VW dealer do the free complementary service wash when your car’s back at the dealership for servicing or repairs. The service wash is known as the ‘scratch and swirl’ treatment for good reason :grin:.
  • keep away from the many hand wash car washing places. Getting cars through the wash process quickly is their main objective as time’s money to them, so they’re likely to use harsh products to speed up the cleaning process and those products can strip any wax / sealant protection from a car’s paintwork. I’ve also seen the hand washers rubbing hard on localised areas on a car to remove baked on bugs etc., and doing that is likely to inflict scratches and swirls.
If I was considering a mk8, then Moonstone would be one of two colours on my colour choice shortlist :smiley:.
« Last Edit: 10 June 2022, 19:21 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
As above, moonstone is a nice colour, it definitely suits the MK8 GTI. I had a similar shade of flat/primer grey on a previous car and it was fine maintenance wise. It did look super when clean on a sunny day but was a bit drab on our many dull days... I also needed a small paint job on the same car after it was side-swiped and the body shop had no great difficulty matching the paint perfectly.

The lighter colours are definitely more forgiving so if you want an easy life, avoid Atlantic blue and definitely steer clear of black.

I'm in a GTI CS and fuel consumption isn't great - I think my long term average is 25-26 MPG but my trips tend to be short and I sometimes give the car some beans as you would tend to do... I've seen 37 MPG on a long motorway run though.
« Last Edit: 10 June 2022, 20:37 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline MaggotsRus

• Not said much yet
CeeFeesh I have a edition 45 in the moonstone and it’s a lovely colour, it’s the fitting colour as in the original German press release car and with the tones of the reds and trim of gloss black roof / mirrors all I get are kind comments about how it looks. It’s very telling when it’s probably the most sought after colour on the GTi / GTD / GTe ranges. I love it and would recommend it. Aa for fuel in this near £9 a gallon market, I am getting an average consumption on my car at 40 mpg at the mo. I am using redex petrol treatment on every tank as I used to use on my MK 7 PP car and whether that helps who knows??

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
I was admiring a moonstone GTI in the dealers yesterday it did look nice I think if I had my time again I’d have gone for Moonstone or Reflex Silver
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
Thanks everyone for your perspective and experience. As always you give good information that helps when making decisions. I had a test drive this morning and succumbed to moonstone. I put down my deposit and will collect it in the next few days. Due to rising petrol costs I had considered being sensible and buying a 150bhp Audi A3 but there’s no fun in that. I did look at a S3 too, but I enjoy my Golf and so I am sticking with front wheel drive. Thanks again.

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
In my experience you always get the best advice from the knowledgeable people on this site.  Always good to hear from people with first hand experience.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline carlt69

• Not said much yet
I think the mk8 looks amazing in moonstone, hence why I bought one   :grin:

So far I’m getting. 33.5mpg when I was getting a couple more in my manual mk7.5 but I have only had it 2 weeks so we’ll see
MK8 GTi in Moonstone Grey