Author Topic: What have you bought for your Mk8?  (Read 52729 times)

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you bought for your Mk8?
« Reply #300 on: 11 July 2022, 17:50 »
After washing it I’ve just booked it in for a valet and ceramic coat.

It’s the first time I’ve ever ever paid for anything like this on my cars so I’m hoping it’s worth it  :grin:
It will depend on a few things.  The prep done and the products used by your detailer and also how well you maintain it afterwards.

If you're planning to get it done and then take it to the local car wash every week, then you won't see what the fuss is about after a couple of months and I wouldn't bother spending the cash in the first place.  Maintain it properly with good washing technique and the right products and you will one hundred percent see the difference in how clean your car is, and remains, compared to most cars on the road.

Except the top of the rear bumper.  That gets manky real fast, no matter how well you try to keep it clean.  :sad:
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #301 on: 11 July 2022, 18:38 »

It’s the first time I’ve ever ever paid for anything like this on my cars so I’m hoping it’s worth it  :grin:
It will depend on a few things.  The prep done and the products used by your detailer and also how well you maintain it afterwards.

If you're planning to get it done and then take it to the local car wash every week, then you won't see what the fuss is about after a couple of months and I wouldn't bother spending the cash in the first place.  Maintain it properly with good washing technique and the right products and you will one hundred percent see the difference in how clean your car is, and remains, compared to most cars on the road.

Except the top of the rear bumper.  That gets manky real fast, no matter how well you try to keep it clean.  :sad:

Does a ceramic coating make the car less susceptible to those annoying kamikaze bugs and insects welding themselves to the front bumper, leading edge of the bonnet, door mirror covers etc. at this time of year?
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #302 on: 11 July 2022, 18:54 »

Does a ceramic coating make the car less susceptible to those annoying kamikaze bugs and insects welding themselves to the front bumper, leading edge of the bonnet, door mirror covers etc. at this time of year?

Not really. A coating is not some kind of dirt/debris repellant. What it can do or at least help with is make it easier to clean and possibly make insects/bird droppings less prone to leaving stains in the paint.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline simonwhite2000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #303 on: 12 July 2022, 10:48 »

My experience is it makes them easier to get off for sure. Using some pre wash mixed with hot water certainly helps as well. I use valet pro citrus pre wash before snow foam.
Awaiting: Mk8 GTI CS
2020: BMW 840 Gran Coupe
2017: Audi B9 S5 Coupe
2014: Mk7 Golf R manual

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #304 on: 25 August 2022, 16:53 »
Bought a sample of white vinyl to add a stripe to the interior scuff plate.

Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #305 on: 27 September 2022, 18:12 »
I have bought a set of Borbet Y,  18 x 8, 5 x 112, ET44 alloys, to use over the winter. I need get them coated with Gtechnique C5 before having a set of winter Michelin tyres I have, fitted. I need to  sort out wheel centre caps too.

« Last Edit: 27 September 2022, 18:14 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #306 on: 27 September 2022, 18:37 »
I have bought a set of Borbet Y,  18 x 8, 5 x 112, ET44 alloys, to use over the winter. I need get them coated with Gtechnique C5 before having a set of winter Michelin tyres I have, fitted. I need to  sort out wheel centre caps too.

Very nice! :cool: - IMHO far too nice to just have on the car during the winter months. I’d keep them on all year round.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #307 on: 27 September 2022, 19:18 »

Lovely wheels.  Right up my street, if not my bank balance.
I'd keep the standard Richmonds for winter and put these on when the sun comes back as SRGTD says.

Can't wait to see them on your car.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #308 on: 27 September 2022, 20:55 »
I ordered the wheels from a shop on eBay UK which provided the wheels to my exact choice, including ET44. The wheels cost considerably less than UK prices. The supplier is based in Germany but sells to the UK. Delivery was included in the price and I had to pay a supplement for delivery to Northern Ireland. Delivery charges to GB should be less. The wheels were well packaged and arrived undamaged. From ordering to delivery was nine days.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2022, 21:00 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #309 on: 28 September 2022, 10:07 »
you didn't get whacked for import duty and VAT?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC