Author Topic: Oryx GTI  (Read 4962 times)

Offline Kgti8

• Not said much yet
Oryx GTI
« on: 02 May 2021, 02:02 »
Said I would add a few more photos of mine, two weeks in now and very happy overall!

Positives
- Great to drive
- Well built, the likes of the boot close feels more premium than the MK7
- I like the haptic feedback on the steering wheel
- Looks great and turns heads everywhere! Oryx is absolutely stunning, photos do not do it justice.

Negatives
- Lane assist...
- Centre touch screen distracting when driving if you want to change something
- Doors. This is really annoying me...I never seem to be able to shut down properly and I have to go back to try again, anyone have this issue? Feel I’ve to really think about it for them to close properly...
- No guidance whatsoever on Harman Kardon

Also, I have a spare tyre in mine, I thought they were not standard, anyone else get one? Or do you get it by getting the subwoofer?

To date? Just had a new car detail and ceramic coating completed. Have fitted VW Wind Deflectors and switched out the mats for rubber ones.

Next jobs? Possibly getting the remainder of the roof wrapped black. Mud flaps ordered. Wanted gloss black mirror caps but they are only for vehicles without side assist...which really reduces the market for them to basic golfs which is a bit odd... Ordered scuff plates too on Ebay.

2021 MK8 Manual | Oryx White, Estorils, DCC, Winter Pack, HK, Pan Roof, Rear Camera, Vienna Leather

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Oryx GTI
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2021, 09:17 »
That looks cracking  :cool:
7.5 GTD

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2021, 09:22 »
Wanted gloss black mirror caps but they are only for vehicles without side assist...which really reduces the market for them to basic golfs which is a bit odd...

Get them wrapped?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2021, 10:04 »
That looks great! The estorils make the tyres look much lower profile than my adelaides do I think.

The doors don't shut as solidly as the mk7 definitely. Even the front doors seem lighter. And yes repeated shut is a problem, i think it's the lack of weight.

The spare, i have one but I also have hk. I don't think you needed to have the spare for hk to fit but.. The spare is definitely a costed option.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2021, 14:51 »
Looks great and might just be my eyes seeing things that aren’t there but the light or the oryx or the ceramic or all three are making those the best I’ve seen a white mk8 gti/cs/r look

You can get the mirrors done same as you do the roof as suggested by Watts
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline Kgti8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2021, 21:11 »
Thanks all! Yes had thought of getting the mirrors wrapped but there is an option here for a black pack, which includes black mirror caps (didn’t bother with this when ordering as it removes the front red GTI accents) which obviously have the side assist cut out so hoping the mirror piece then will come available at some stage. For some reason I don’t think this option is available in the UK.

That looks great! The estorils make the tyres look much lower profile than my adelaides do I think.

The doors don't shut as solidly as the mk7 definitely. Even the front doors seem lighter. And yes repeated shut is a problem, i think it's the lack of weight.

The spare, i have one but I also have hk. I don't think you needed to have the spare for hk to fit but.. The spare is definitely a costed option.

Thanks! I am getting to like the Adelaides, think they look well! The spare tyre is a bit of a mystery but not complaining as I had a puncture yesterday (already!!!) so it came in handy. Glad it’s not just me on the doors, it’s been driving me mad.

2021 MK8 Manual | Oryx White, Estorils, DCC, Winter Pack, HK, Pan Roof, Rear Camera, Vienna Leather

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2021, 19:39 »
Car looks fantastic.

What scuff plates are you getting?
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline Kgti8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2021, 23:41 »
Bought these ones on EBay:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/174711917750

Have them fitted, they are good quality, fit well and look good too!
« Last Edit: 06 May 2021, 23:49 by Kgti8 »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 07 May 2021, 09:08 »
Those look good!

I've been looking for a suitable item but until you showed me that, I'd not seen one explicitly stated as being for a Mk8.

I'll be buying those because the missing scuff plate is super annoying.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Kgti8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 11 April 2023, 00:31 »
Car is now 2 years old so thought I would share some snaps from this week after a wash. Still delighted with it and still think it looks great. I have decided to change though and have an R ordered, but am happy to sit it out and enjoy this for another while.

« Last Edit: 11 April 2023, 00:44 by Kgti8 »