Author Topic: 128ti undercuts GTI  (Read 31367 times)

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Re: 128ti undercuts GTI
« Reply #220 on: 07 January 2021, 08:51 »
@fredgroves

I currently have a DSG GTD, and I've previously had a 7speed DSG b8 S4, and also a ZF 8 speed b9 S4.  All of these gearboxes have been excellent at changing gear - but the 'decision' point at when to change gear seems ponderous.  I think this is a fairly well accepted point that VAG's software is not as quick as that used by BMW.  The b9 S4 has exactly the same ZF gearbox as found in many BMW's but its a common complaint that the integration of the gearbox hasn't been done as well. 

Options are privacy glass, lumbar support, HK audio, icon lights, heated steering wheel and the digital dash. 

@ar899

Compared to the GTD the ride is definitely firmer - but cornering ability is also significantly better.  I can't compare to a GTI as the last GTI I owned was the mk5.  I presume the GTI is a bit firmer than a GTD but can't say for sure. 

MPG - early days but I've seen 38 on a sensible 12 mile journey.  I would expect that to get a bit better as it runs in but pleased so far. 

Wind and road noise is very low, maybe a bit lower than the GTD.  However nothing compares to the noise isolation of the b9 S4 I had.  What I have noticed is that little stones that ping of the tyres make more of a noise than I've encountered on the golf.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #221 on: 07 January 2021, 09:20 »
Thanks!

I guess the only way I'd find out is if I actually drove the flipping thing, which as I say is a long way off at the moment.

Frustrating.

On the less noise on a S4... i wonder if the noise you are hearing isn't road noise... the S4, the wheels are a little further away maybe? Just a guess.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #222 on: 07 January 2021, 09:23 »
Thanks ub7rm - that's pretty good mpg considering not run in properly yet. Doesn't sound a lot worse than what testers seem to be getting in the new 118i. Re noise, how 'shouty' is the exhaust? I guess it's piped into the cockpit as seems to be the fashion?

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #223 on: 07 January 2021, 10:18 »
Re S4 noise ... its just a different league of vehicle to the MQB platform / 1 series etc.  A4's and above are 'proper' Audi and a whole host of extra refinements are present like double wishbone suspension, much increased sound insulation, acoustic glass etc.  I believe the tyres had noise deadening foam in them.  Distance to the wheels will be a factor for sure but only part of the story.  You could be travelling at 80 zips and have almost complete silence in the cabin. 

Re exhaust noise - probably 90% piped in which you can adjust.  Exhaust noise isn't obtrusive at all unless you want it to be. 
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #224 on: 07 January 2021, 12:28 »
Any of the large cars are generally quieter though - before my 2014 Golf I had loads of different Mondeo sized cars - all much quieter and calmer on the motorway.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #225 on: 08 January 2021, 08:04 »
@ub7rm - the new 135i doesn't use the zf gearbox so I'd hazard a guess the 128ti doesn't either.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #226 on: 08 January 2021, 08:41 »
Hi, no the ZF gearbox is only for the longitudinal models - its an Aisin gearbox for the transverse mounted engines.

Apologies if it caused confusion - reference to the ZF gearbox was to compare the VAG integration of it in the S4 (and other longitudinal audi's) vs BMW's integration of the same gearbox in their cars to make the point that VAG's software to control is widely regarded as worse than BMW's software.  Typical complaints are around lag that doesn't exist in BMW's - at least to the same degree.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #227 on: 08 January 2021, 09:03 »
Doesn't the S4 have a transverse engine too? (I've no idea, that's a genuine question)

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #228 on: 08 January 2021, 10:59 »
Doesn't the S4 have a transverse engine too? (I've no idea, that's a genuine question)

No, it is longitudinally mounted with the gearbox out the back of the engine rather than to the side. 
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #229 on: 08 January 2021, 11:27 »
Ahhh ok, thats how it could have used the ZF then.

The ZF isn't DCT though is it? BMW I thought only used DCT on the full blooded M's? (eg M3/M5)