Author Topic: Noob Mk8 questions  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Andysills

• Just got here
Noob Mk8 questions
« on: 19 September 2021, 20:05 »
Hi Guys!  :smiley:

First post. I'm looking to order a Mk 8 GTI (yest I know the lead times - I just heard 57 weeks  :shocked:). My last GTIs were both Mk 2 back in the day, but kids are growing up no so no need for the trusty diesel estate!.

So looking to get something fun, naturally I thought of another GIT (as is used to affectionately call em'). Anyway, I test drove a Mk 8 GTI DSG at the weekend at Breeze VW in Poole. I wanted to try a manual but they didn't have any - nor had they seen any. 

I  thought it had great handing and superb brakes. The engine was a gem and I loved the half an hour or so drive I had. I was lucky enough to find some favourite twistys to properly test it out. I didn't have any issues with the haptic controls, well perhaps the temp control but I adjusted that via the menu. I liked all the customisable options.

Anyway I've had autos for the past 10 years and really want to go for the manual. It has nothing to do with the cost. Yes, I know the auto is quicker to change, slightly more economical and better in traffic (all good). But I'm looking for the feel and enjoyment of driving a manual again.

So to my question - has anyone here got or driven a manual ?

Also at some point - per haps in a year or two, Ill be looking to remap it so I think  this is easier since no DSG remap is needed (any / all advice welcome!)

I'm looking to get the following options:

Dolphin grey or Moonstone grey - not decided yet
Adaptive suspension
Winter pack (front seats)
Reversing camera
I'm happy with the 18s it comes with.

Thanks guys

Andy

Offline Woeisme

• Not said much yet
Re: Noob Mk8 questions
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2021, 20:43 »
I’ve not driven the manual but would love to. If that’s what you want get it. The extra bit of pace due to the dsg doesn’t really matter and as good as it is using paddles it’s not the same involvement IMO.

As for mapping, it can’t be done yet on the mk8 but if the 7 is anything to go by it’s easier to do on a dsg and anything beyond stage 1 on a manual will need an improved clutch. I could be wrong but it will likely be the same for the 8.

Offline Andysills

• Just got here
Re: Noob Mk8 questions - Manual Gearbox?
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2021, 08:54 »
Thanks Woeisme, I thought Id get shot down for posting that I'm looking to get a manual !  Manuals have a fun factor to them - as you more involving. Having said that the DSG gearbox was very impressive.

Re a remap, I'll probably do it after a year or so of ownership. With potentially a year to wait for delivery, that's in two years time so I expect by then it'll be remappable (if that's even a word!). I never go for more than a stage one, so I should be ok with the clutch.   

I think the manual will be pretty much the same as the Mk 7. Anyone here got a Mk 8 or Mk 7 manual, if so what do you think of the gearbox
?

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2021, 09:11 »
On the Mk7 Manuals it was the clutch that was the issue with mapping with it being recommended to upgrade that too. On the Mk8 GTI its the same clutch as the Mk7 Golf R so should in theory handle 300bhp without too much issue.

Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2021, 09:22 »
If you watch the American video from the GTI reviews page, he talks about the manual gearbox and the clutch…

https://youtu.be/jSXwQ9nZD5k

As per manual option, I had a manual 7.5 GTD… loved it, who cares about 0-60 times once you’re on the move, manual is so much more engaging. If I’d ordered a GTI and not CS 45, I’d 100% had manual.
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2021, 10:14 »
I think the manual will be pretty much the same as the Mk 7. Anyone here got a Mk 8 or Mk 7 manual, if so what do you think of the gearbox?

My previous car was a MK7PP manual, I really liked it and would've preferred it when I changed but that wasn't an option. I fitted an Audi short shift from a TT/S3 which made a big difference, much more enjoyable and a more mechanical feel. I also removed the assistor spring from the pedal which adds a bit of feel there and a bigger bump stop so the pedal had less travel - that was particularly useful as I could also get my seat one notch further back which was much more comfortable. Another clutch mod which I didn't get around to, was removal of the valve in the bleed box on the gearbox - easy mod and free, apparently that gives a more 'old school' less assisted feel to the clutch, worth investigating. Another mod I did was to add a metal Audi bracket with solid bushes for the lever cables. Reasonably easy to do and not that expensive, removes the plastic bracket and rubber bushes that can flex when pushing hard. Given the type of driving I do that wasn't so much of a difference, but the TT shifter would be my no1 recommendation.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mynameiskris

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2021, 13:59 »
I have ordered a manual. I did test drive the DSG and though it was fantastic, however, like you, I wanted to feel more connected to the car so just took the plunge on a manual.

The way I look at it, it will be too soon before we are all driving EVs which are automatic, so enjoy a new manual car while you can!
Current:
2021/22 Golf GTI, Manual, Pure White, Adelaide, Winter Pack, Reverse Camera.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2021, 14:00 »

I think the manual will be pretty much the same as the Mk 7. Anyone here got a Mk 8 or Mk 7 manual, if so what do you think of the gearbox
?

I have a 7.5 manual. The box is very good, very slick.

The big advantage of the manual over dsg is the complete control you have.
I can hold a gear as long as i like.
I can keep throttle position wherever I like- engine speed where I like- and there’s no computer fighting me ( there are a few frustrated DSG owners on the forum)

From your original post I’d say definitely go for manual, you won’t regret it.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2021, 15:19 »
I go from DSG frustration to enjoying the laziness of travel assist... when it doesn't reboot of course.

After 7 years of two manual GTD's it wasn't that much aggro really as unlike other marques automatic cruise control for the motorway does work with a manual box.

I just thought I'd try DSG for a change :) The beauty of course is the seemless shifts and lightning standing starts.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Andysills

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2021, 15:35 »
Thanks Guys,

Really useful info - what a friendly forum ! Hope I can be of help to you one day  :smiley:

Andy

Fredgroves - Yeah the DSG was amazing, it has to be said. I think GTI buyers will be happy with either choice, but I fancy a change from 10 yrs of auto and I want to rekindle my carefree MK2 GTI days back in the early 90s (well the car part at least!)

Really interesting vid, Carl_45

Watts - I like the idea of the Audi TT/ S3 short shift :-)

Foxy 367- good to know !

mynameiskris - So true - never looked at it like that!

Yusee - thanks for the 7.5 feedback !