Author Topic: Bye bye manual gearbox  (Read 1091 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Bye bye manual gearbox
« on: 30 August 2021, 13:48 »
It's been coming for a while now, so maybe not a major surprise...

https://www.motor1.com/news/529477/vw-gradual-elimination-manual-gearbox/
7.5 GTD

Offline karlos

• Not said much yet
Re: Bye bye manual gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2021, 16:26 »
Not a surprise at all. When I first started driving autos were 3 or 4 speed slushboxes which were slow and poor on fuel. You only got an auto if you were elderley, drove a huge executive barge or didn't have the skill to operate a manual gearbox.

Now we have cars with 7 speeds that can shift in the blink of an eye and offer better economy and acceleration than any manual. They probably would have been adopted quicker if it hadn't been for the terrible image problem that old autos had.

I still often miss the enagagement of driving a manual though.

2017 (67) GTI PP DSG. Tungsten Silver with DCC, Art Velours, Dynaudio, Climate Screen, Tints, Keyless, Rear Camera, Lane Assist, Seville wheels.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2021, 17:50 »
By 2030 of course they are eliminated... Ice propulsion is eliminated then in the uk...

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2021, 20:28 »
VW sells plenty cars outside the UK. They also build plenty in places like South America and China, where the take up of electric vehicles may not be quite as regimented as it is in Blighty.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2021, 20:57 »
I read a thing only the other day that last year was the first time more autos than manuals were sold in the uk...

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2021, 22:29 »
There's a DAP video on YouTube doing a comparison of the Mk8 R that's going to the US soon, apparently all of the R's will be defaulted as manuals with the DSG only as an option.
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.