Author Topic: Mk7.5 Stop/Start  (Read 8544 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Mk7.5 Stop/Start
« Reply #20 on: 16 December 2020, 11:49 »
I like it - low tech, permanent :)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 16 December 2020, 13:26 »

OK. This is the solution. Get rid of the feature by disconnecting the wee wire on the battery.
Simples. I did it v shortly after getting my 7.5. Never looked back.

Ditto that. If I had an OBDEleven, I'd code it, as there are a few times I'd like it on, but for now, that plug is gone.

Offline Phil245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 16 December 2020, 16:50 »
OK. This is the solution. Get rid of the feature by disconnecting the wee wire on the battery.

Ooohh.... I didn't know this was possible..?  I haven't looked at the battery, is it obvious which wire to disconnect..?  Does it throw up any fault lights etc or affect anything else...?
2019 Golf GTI 245 Performance, 2020 Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0 TDI
Sadly sold, Octavia VRS245 Estate, Audi A3 1.5TFSI S Line Black Edition, Polo GTi 1.8, Audi TT Roadster, Golf Mk7 GTD etc.
Daughter has 2019 Polo 2.0GTi DSG. We love VAG !

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #23 on: 16 December 2020, 18:19 »
I just received my 'Black Friday Spacial' OBD11 so it is one of the first things on the list.

A quick question, once disabled can you then re-enable if you want to using the button as I do use it occasionally? The OBD11 app states 'This function will permanently disable Start/Stop system'?.
« Last Edit: 16 December 2020, 18:31 by Al1040 »
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline jf111

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 16 December 2020, 18:25 »
My start stop is extremely annoying too. Usually turns off the engine as i'm slowing down towards a junction, but maybe trying roll through it rather than stop and go. Almost always seems to do it at the wrong time. But rarely activates in traffic :grin: I usually just turn the feature off, unless I know I'm going to sit in a lot of traffic

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #25 on: 16 December 2020, 18:35 »

Ooohh.... I didn't know this was possible..?  I haven't looked at the battery, is it obvious which wire to disconnect..?  Does it throw up any fault lights etc or affect anything else...?

There is a thin wire connected to the side of the battery. Just slide it out of the tiny socket and tape up the wire and socket to protect from damp. This is a “ battery condition” connection which also works the S/S.
From time to time you will briefly get a “ stop start disabled” message on your digital dash. It appears randomly and disappears v quickly.
There is no downside to doing this cost free improvement. Don’t like it any more? Just reconnect the thin wire. Apart from unplugging the Soundaktor, it’s the best, and cheapest, thing I have done to the car.
If you search the forum history, you will find more stuff on this topic.
Let me know how you get on.....
2019 5Dr Mk7.5 Performance DSG. Indium Grey with DCC (and TCR spoiler)

(Previously two Mk7 GTIs, Mk6 GTI and Mk6 GTD)

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #26 on: 16 December 2020, 18:40 »
Just to reassure you, the wee wire connection just acts as a battery condition monitor. It doesn’t really carry any charge. Mine has been disconnected for 18 months/ 10k miles. But when it goes in for service I give the techs the instruction “do not reconnect S/S” so they know if the fault appears not to investigate.

Offline P6GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #27 on: 16 December 2020, 19:40 »
Sorry, when I said at the side of the battery I meant at the side of the battery terminal nearest the bulkhead. You can’t miss it!

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #28 on: 18 December 2020, 11:33 »
With that you disable a whole lot of other useful features...
I would leave the feedback wire well where it is.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #29 on: 18 December 2020, 11:47 »
I'm guessing the wire disconnect works by it not being able to sense battery condition which means start stop fails to activate because it can't get a positive result on battery condition... Its one of the the components of the decision process it goes through before stopping the engine.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC