Author Topic: Xenon headlights  (Read 6654 times)

Offline Ridders_GTI

• Just got here
Xenon headlights
« on: 05 January 2015, 18:31 »
Hi all

May seem a daft question but going to ask anyway. I have the standard headlights on my golf mk6 GTI and looking to upgrade to xenons. The car came with headlight washer jets but just the standard headlights, should they be xenons or does washer jets come as standard? It's a 2012 plate and I brough it used, well leasing. Want to know if they've been swapped over before I upgrade incase I've been done over.

Thanks

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
Re: Xenon headlights
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2015, 18:37 »
Hi all

May seem a daft question but going to ask anyway. I have the standard headlights on my golf mk6 GTI and looking to upgrade to xenons. The car came with headlight washer jets but just the standard headlights, should they be xenons or does washer jets come as standard? It's a 2012 plate and I brough it used, well leasing. Want to know if they've been swapped over before I upgrade incase I've been done over.

Thanks

nah highly doubt somebody would have taken them out when everyone is trying to put them in  :grin:   I think they are standard. Might be wrong...I know my car has normal halogens like yourself and has the washer jets too!  mine has the winter pack so might be due to that!
MK6 GTI - 2011 - PEARL BLACK - 3 DOOR  - 18" MONZA SHADOWS  -  RNS510/DAB  -  ACC  - SUNROOF  -  WINTER PACK  - DYNAUDIO  -  VIENNA LEATHER  - PARKING SENSORS  - BLUETOOTH

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2015, 18:52 »
All mk6 GTI and GTD models have the headlamp washer jet covers in the front bumper, but they don't all have washer jets. If you've got washer jets in conjunction with halogen headlamps, then it sounds like your car was specc'd with the optional winter pack.

Agree with chris1h; highly unlikely if your car was built with Xenons that the previous owner would have changed these to halogens.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline J400uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2015, 18:59 »
As above. If its got the winter pack or something that will explain the washers.

Either way it makes retrofitting Xenons easier as you'll be compliant with the MOT regulations
2015 Golf GTD 2.0 TDI 184 PS 6-speed DSG 5 Door Tornado Red

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2015, 19:05 »
Hi all

Thanks

have you checked the washer jets work and are not just the housing on them? if so you go heated seats etc?   winter back it is!  if not heated seats bit of a strange one! :rolleyes:
MK6 GTI - 2011 - PEARL BLACK - 3 DOOR  - 18" MONZA SHADOWS  -  RNS510/DAB  -  ACC  - SUNROOF  -  WINTER PACK  - DYNAUDIO  -  VIENNA LEATHER  - PARKING SENSORS  - BLUETOOTH

Offline Ridders_GTI

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2015, 19:13 »
Yep sounds like a winter pack as I have leather heated seats, heated mirrors and the washer jets work. So I've found replica xenons for £450 the pair, says plug and play but may need vagcom to lose the error light on the dash!? Also for MOT standards, self levelling? Or does the switch next to the headlight switch pass the MOT?

Thanks

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2015, 19:25 »
Levelers shouldn't really be an issue as I've never known an MOT tester...test them. The test is carried out on level ground, so as long as the beam pattern is good, there should be no problems.

As for replica xenons, they are projector lights with a HID kit fitted. The problem with them is the warm up time taken to get the light output up to full power. This is fine for dipped beam, and main beam for that matter once the lights are turned on as the beam pattern is altered by means of a shutter behind the lens. However when flashing without the headlights already on, they will not give full brightness when you need it most.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2015, 22:48 »
You'll still need to retrofit the level sensor and swap the light switch as Xenons need to be self levelling.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 06 January 2015, 00:25 »
Yep sounds like a winter pack as I have leather heated seats, heated mirrors and the washer jets work. So I've found replica xenons for £450 the pair, says plug and play but may need vagcom to lose the error light on the dash!? Also for MOT standards, self levelling? Or does the switch next to the headlight switch pass the MOT?

Thanks

The headlamp washers may make xenon retrofit easier from an MOT perspective, but otherwise they are just a pita rather than a bonus imo.  With lights on, they activate every 5th pull of the windscreen washer stalk and leave a streaky, soapy mess all over the sides of the car.  I curse every time they do it.  :tongue:  Definitely a candidate for disabling, maybe a quick pull of the fuse (after MOT of course).
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 06 January 2015, 10:25 »
I disabled mine using VCDS as they empty the washer bottle so quickly in the winter.
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(