Author Topic: madmanluke's supercharged mk2 VR  (Read 148362 times)

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
Re: madmanluke's supercharged mk2 VR
« Reply #550 on: 09 September 2012, 10:09 »
I think the problem regarding MAF is do the output of the charger going straight into the TB. Theres a few options. Firstly, to keep inlet temps down i'd hav fitted some form or FMIC or chargecooler setup. This may have increased pipework, but will help with air density and power.
You could also think about a short runner inlet manifold and piping to suit.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VR6-Turbo-Ansaugbrucke-Krummer-Manifold-2-8-2-9L-CNC-/250708717053?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item3a5f676dfd#ht_2505wt_1277

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VR6-Turbo-Spaltsaugrohr-Ansaugbrucke-Manifold-CNC-3-0L-/250762746978?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item3a629fdc62#ht_3134wt_1214

I think those chargers are a quick fix for bolt-on power, but to get the best out of them, some extra thought is needed. May require more work but could be your best solution
I don't see why you would go standalone really, when the OEM ecu is proven to work with boost. Mapping from scratch takes alot of time to get anywhere neear OEM driveabilty.

« Last Edit: 09 September 2012, 10:44 by tshirt2k »

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline popleyruss

• I live here
« Reply #551 on: 09 September 2012, 10:54 »
The issue is MAF placement. There is literally no where I can think I can route it for it to work and being honest, Matt has been next to useless in giving me any sort of idea how he would do it in a mk2 other than tell me he knows exactly what is needed in order for it to work. Helpful. Understand he is away though so might be just geting lost in email.

really, the standalone is a fix for not having to use a MAF. I just cant see how its going to work in just physical routing on the piping.

I see what u mean matts a very dificult bloke to hold a conversation with mate seriously hard work haha
Might be worth tying to meet up with him and have a conversation then u coukd always come uo the workshop and see what im upto
Just plain dubbin

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
« Reply #552 on: 09 September 2012, 22:27 »
Id be up for that mate. Be good to give a kick to get yours finished haha. You need to get out driving!

Offline popleyruss

• I live here
« Reply #553 on: 09 September 2012, 22:35 »
Id be up for that mate. Be good to give a kick to get yours finished haha. You need to get out driving!
I no mate a 50 hour a week job and the workshop 3 kids and now im getting married theres just not enough hours in a day lol
On it asap i havent workd on my own car for weeks either :(
Just plain dubbin

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
« Reply #554 on: 11 September 2012, 12:17 »
Im not sure how the MAF can cause a problem just because it runs direct to the TB?  There really are no gains to be had (especially for the outlay) to running a FMIC on that amount of boost.

The MAF would still be reading the same MAF location and still have the same recirc setup regardless if it had a FMIC or not.

I understand what your saying about it requiring a lot of mapping for it to be right, but honestly, I don't see any way round it. If I need a MAF in order for it to run on OEM, I just cant get it far enough away from the charger, nor do I want 6ft of pipe twirling round my engine bay just to get the distance. If the MAF didnt need to be so far away from the recirc inlet, on the intake side, id already be blatting around in this about 2 weeks ago already! I wouldnt even be thinking about standalone for it just yet if it hadnt been proven that the MAF too close to the recirc causes issues.

I have already asked if I can run without a recirc and the answer was flat out no. That one I dont understand as I dont see why it cant vent to atmosphere. Since the charger is machaniclly driven, I see no advantage to running a recirc back to the inlet since the charger since you cant really purge a mechanicly  driven turbine.

Obviously i dont map or tune engines for a living, but applying a bit of basic logic, it doesnt add up. I can see why the MAF needs to be far away from the recirc, but in a MK2, it just doesnt work.

Offline tshirt2k

• I live here
  • Been there...Done that...
« Reply #555 on: 11 September 2012, 17:21 »
When running anyform of FI, it is always adviseable to cool the charge air.  I'm sure the charger is pumping out heat of some sort. Do you know what your inlet temps are?.

Low boost doesn't necessarily mean you don't need an intercooler/chargecooler as it is dependant on the efficiency of the charger. Thing is, once people have boost, they always want a bit more down the line. Intercoolers can help prevent det by keeping inlet temps down and allow more power to be released.

Depends on what you want though. Standalone isnt necessarily the answer. 

Mk3 ABF 16VT Megasquirt V3

Tshirt knows........ How to diagnose

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
« Reply #556 on: 20 September 2012, 13:45 »
So I took the plunge and got the United Motorsport software. DTA was just racking up and up and up so i am just putting the MAF where I can and seeing how it runs.

First time its ran like this in about 3 months. Couldnt leave it on long as there was no radiator on the front.

Lots to do to get the car complete again and to see how much the location of the MAF makes on how it runs.

Seriously need to be abe to embed youtube on here already  :angry: :grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs3glL98suo&list=UUUsztHhLnwmsSjHl8tQ8FTQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Offline popleyruss

• I live here
« Reply #557 on: 20 September 2012, 16:49 »
Yoooooooo is it the same vid as the one u sent me ?
Quality u have it running now and told ya matts the don lol
Just plain dubbin

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
« Reply #558 on: 29 October 2012, 13:36 »
So... figured I probably should come up with an update for this since The old black shell is no more.....

I'll copy and paste from another forum because it sums up where I am with the new shell, why it came about and where I am at the engine etc.

Yes, I now have Fastmonkey's old shell. I certainly wasn't planning on having it and it took a lot of persuading to part with my old shell after so much of my own hard work and cash had been put into it. It was something I couldnt refuse since it was exactly (minus a colour discpency and number of doors) how I wanted my car, as a shell to end up. The same external modifications and just overall execution. I did only take a bare shell, with no interior or engine, but either way, this wont be seeing its former glory as Il be putting my own stamp on this and piking up where I left off on my old black shell build.

This is now sitting in a garage over winter whilst I work on this to get it back on the road, but I am hoping my first show outing will actually be worthersee next year! Ive always wanted to go so why not.

I've had the shell since mid August so here is where I am at...

Its coming along slowly. Not sure If I should start a new thread or not. Lots going on behind the scenes anyway.

Finally got arches back on it yesterday and sat back down on the floor. Lots of work still to be done wheel, suspension, engine and interior wise.

Cheers guys. Like I say lots of work still to be done on this and its a bit of a long haul project for over the winter now. The inital plan was to have everything swapped over before Edition this year but that failed miserably when I still couldn't get the engine issues resolved.

Any way... Bought some bucket seats becauseracecar.... Not Recaro's or anything quite as spectacular, but I'm familiar with these seats as we've usd them before in a track vectra that my brother runs. I think for the price they look and feel great. Just got to get me a set of LUKE harnesses now  I'll be doing a lot of measuring this weekend to get them welded up to some subframes to keep the front/back adjustability.

Hoping for the modernlines to become just run around wheels now, but it seems like i need some 10 - 15mm spacers on the rear. All things considered they should sit exactly like they did on my old black shell but for some reason they tuck a huge amount on the rear!!

« Last Edit: 29 October 2012, 14:37 by madmanluke »

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #559 on: 29 October 2012, 13:47 »
Going to be sweat as when finished :cool: