Author Topic: done bushes - broken steering...  (Read 1736 times)

Offline javalin

• I live here
done bushes - broken steering...
« on: 06 March 2011, 16:05 »
Hello,

Changed wishbone bushes and anti-roll bar bushes - somewhere in the large amount of kicking with the subframe lowered to get things free I've broken the steering.  The steering wheel spins now freely - sounds like its come out of the steering rack somewhere/somehow?

Simple fix, or......?

Help appreciated...!!

James
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Re: done bushes - broken steering...
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2011, 16:37 »
My guess is that it has come apart at the uj, check under the rubber boot in the engine bay and under the dash.

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 06 March 2011, 16:40 »
ok ta - job for another day though.  Knackered now.

J
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 06 March 2011, 19:41 »
UJ disconnected as already stated.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 March 2011, 19:53 »
ok - sounds not disasterous.  Can the UJ just be popped back together?  Do I need to lower the subframe again?

Ta

James

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 06 March 2011, 20:55 »
ok - sounds not disasterous.  Can the UJ just be popped back together?  Do I need to lower the subframe again?

Ta

James

Yes you may need to drop the subframe again :smiley:

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 March 2011, 10:00 »
ok thanks.

Anybody done a write up, or any pictures of steering related bits under the bonnet?  Searched and googled but no particular joy.

Ta muchly,

James

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #7 on: 07 March 2011, 10:21 »
i would undo the column and pull it out a bit rather than dropping the subframe.

you have 3 fixing points, bolt thru the uj holding it to the rack, another bolt thru the uj holding it to the bottom of the column, and also the column is in 2 halves so it could have come undone there in the middle somewhere.

start inside the car as its less dirty  :grin:

take out the dasdh undertray and spin the wheel while you watch the uj,. if you need to pull the column out a bit undo the stalk plugs and the bolt holding the ign lock housing to the outer column tubing. its a shear bolt but i bet its loose anyway!

then if the uj is still attached to the column you need to undo and remove the nut & bolt holding it on and the uj will pop out.

you may even have split the column in the middle where it telescopes in the event of an accident, but i dont think that will have happened
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 07 March 2011, 10:28 »
Thanks rubJonny - useful information.  Will check it out tonight/tomorrow.

James

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 07 March 2011, 18:27 »
yup - RubJonny was spot on....

Took the steering column panels off and....

http://javalins.wordpress.com/2011/03/07/mk3-golf-front-bushes-part-2/

James