Author Topic: Wing replacement question  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Jamin

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf Gti 16v
Wing replacement question
« on: 29 June 2012, 15:33 »
Hi all,

Some time over the next few weeks I'm gonna be replacing both front wings on my mk3 golf. I've read through other threads on this subject and to remove it I'll need to remove the front bumper, headlight, and the arch liners and locate the 5 bolts or so that hold the wing on. I've also read that I'm gonna need a heat gun to gain access to the 2 bolts under all the seal and this is what my question is about.

Once the new wing is on, lined up and riveted back into place do I need to cover it in sealant again. What is the sealant??

Cheers

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
Re: Wing replacement question
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2012, 18:40 »
I wouldnt worry too much about it, you could cover them up in black PU based sealer, or just a few coats of black waxoyl would serve better to protect against rust...

Thom

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #2 on: 29 June 2012, 19:15 »
You don't need the headlamps out and you shouldn't need a heat gun to get access to the bolts but will probably need it, along with a stanley knife to remove it from the car as will be a fair bit of sealer on it. I would reccomend either waxoiling or stonechipping the inside of the new wings to prevent corrosion. Best putting sealer on it as it prevents crap getting under the top and into your engine bay and also at the door check.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline Jamin

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf Gti 16v
« Reply #3 on: 29 June 2012, 19:29 »
That sounds pretty straightforward. Thanks fellas

Just need to figure out what to do about the rusty rear wheel arch now  :angry:

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #4 on: 29 June 2012, 20:14 »
You can get wheel arch repair panels of ebay pretty cheap (£20) if they are bad but its a fair bit of work. I put some on mine in my build thread in the link below if you want to have a look mate.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline Jamin

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 Golf Gti 16v
« Reply #5 on: 29 June 2012, 21:42 »
Wow....your car is sick dude   :cool:

Yeah it does look like a fair bit of work and I've never welded before. Looks like I'll have to get it booked into a body shop for that  :sad: