Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 124149 times)

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #880 on: 01 May 2024, 22:06 »
S005s really aren't good and don't suit the GTI spirit.

I don't know why VW fit them as standard.

There are so many better options.  I'm glad you are getting on with the SC7, I went with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6's and they are also a big improvement.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2024, 22:15 by BillSan »
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #881 on: 03 May 2024, 15:07 »
S005s really aren't good and don't suit the GTI spirit.

I don't know why VW fit them as standard.

There are so many better options.  I'm glad you are getting on with the SC7, I went with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6's and they are also a big improvement.

I also have the Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 6's on my GTI, very good tyre. 👌
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #882 on: 24 May 2024, 21:11 »
Had a four wheel alignment to check all was OK. Alignment was not too bad but running toe out on one rear wheel and the upper limit of toe in on the other side. Minor adjustments to the front toe and rear camber.

Handling has improved, but I still want to improve the turn in, so first mod will be new lower front control arms to achieve around 2 degrees of camber. It’s running 1.35 at the moment.

« Last Edit: 24 May 2024, 21:13 by Paul70 »
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #883 on: 25 May 2024, 21:03 »
Goes to show that a box fresh car doesn’t necessarily have perfect geometry.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #884 on: 26 May 2024, 12:50 »
Love the nose to nose shot Paul70, you can really see the passed on design DNA.

How about a back to back mini review?

Took a while to post 😊

I’ve done just over 3500 miles in the R in 2 months and I really like it. It does everything very well. I love the way it looks. I wasn’t looking for an R, I had my eye on a new or nearly new RS3 but couldn’t quite stomach the Audi finance repayments - the total cost over 4 years was north of 70K. The R was then advertised by a local dealer, and the deal was done. The lower price allowed me to keep (for now) my ED40, which I picked up new in 2016.

So how do they compare? Well, even though they share the same DNA, they are very different. For a longer journey, I would choose the R hands down - it’s just far more relaxing and economical too, especially when in comfort mode. For urban driving, I would also choose the R. I am converted to DSG and don’t really miss driving a manual, it just feels natural and I like the full manual mode available in special mode so you can appreciate the engine torque.

For a spirited drive in the dry I would choose the ED40 - I’ve had the chassis geometry tweaked with some OEM mods to equal the Clubsport S without the DCC. It’s so eager to turn in and grips like a limpet. It feels so light footed and darty compared to the R and the diff does well too.

I am still surprised how much difference a single button makes to the way the R drives - the special mode is exactly what it says on the tin, the car is so much more responsive and eager. Cross country speed is epic, but it’s not as involving. It’s a bit like playing an arcade game and not as raw as the ED40, but still very enjoyable. The MK8 needs a more positive front end, it lacks the bite of the ED40 and the steering feel is simply not as good, which is a shame.

Really like the interior of both cars but the ED40 feels more special with the buckets and furry wheel. The material and finish is higher quality too. You can definitely see and feel the cost cutting on the interior of the MK8. That said, the MK8 still feels solid and is creak free at the moment. I really like the minimalist feel of the MK8 interior and this is where it makes the MK7 feel dated. I don’t even mind the haptics!

I love the IQ lights. They are so much better than the halogens on the MK7.

Plans. I will keep the R and treat it to a machine polish - one of the downsides of buying an ex-demo. I was a little concerned about oil consumption as I am sure the manufacturer running in guidelines were not followed but 3500 miles later, the oil level hasn’t changed, which I am happy about.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #885 on: 26 May 2024, 21:27 »
That was a really good read Paul70  :smiley: thanks for taking the time to write up your impressions and thoughts now you’ve fully familiarised yourself with the 8R.

My lasting memories of my (much missed) Ed40 are that lightness and nimble feel. The TCR that followed it felt more hunkered down and brawny for some reason despite the chassis being very similar and indeed further developed. Featherweight vs middleweight in feel.

My 8R is on 4K in 5 months but most of the time it’s just pootling around locally, gearbox in D or E.
I find the Race mode settings a bit too jerky and the Soundaktor horrid so almost never use that setting, but the car seems to punch well above its weight in that mode performance wise. Very aggressive! I’m a bit old and spindly for all that now so tend never to hit the R button.
Mine lacks the Special mode as I don’t have either Performance Pack or DCC. Both would be wasted on me so weren’t specced. 
I don’t find the 8R any less agile than the mk8 Clubby to be honest which would have surprised me had I not seen so many road tests. The drive mode settings on the R do seem more differentiated than the Clubsport.
The Clubsport had maybe a bit more finesse where the R can be a bit ‘two pints of Stella and pick a fight’ in anything other than the Comfort/Eco setting.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #886 on: 29 May 2024, 13:28 »
Hi Paul - I see yours is a Peter Cooper/Hampshire reg car is that where abouts you are based?  Can you share where you took the R for it's 4 wheel allignment pls (as my Mk 7.5 GTI PP needs doing)

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #887 on: 29 May 2024, 21:23 »
Hi Paul - I see yours is a Peter Cooper/Hampshire reg car is that where abouts you are based?  Can you share where you took the R for it's 4 wheel allignment pls (as my Mk 7.5 GTI PP needs doing)

No worries, but I had the alignment done in Warwick as I travel past there when I travel for work. I had it done at Spires Technologies. I know Regal in Southampton do fast road alignment, if you’re local to Southampton.

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #888 on: 30 May 2024, 09:12 »
Great - thanks Paul - I will try Regal in Southampton