Author Topic: Rear bushings replaced, still knocking A4 B5  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
Rear bushings replaced, still knocking A4 B5
« on: 24 September 2013, 18:27 »
Hey guys, replaced my rear sway bar bushings about 1000 miles ago (about 1 month) and something at the rear is knocking when cornering, setting off and doing other general driving things that aren't going in a straight line. Any thoughts on what it could be? Bolts the wrong way around? Shouldn't have put copper slip on the casings before sliding them in? Bolts too tight? Not the trailing bushings at all?

Cheers in advance guys! :smiley:

Oh and does anyone have any clue as to how tights the bolts should be? I cranked em up with a windy gun but perhaps this was the wrong thing to do?
« Last Edit: 24 September 2013, 18:39 by Sam »

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
Re: Rear bushings replaced, still knocking A4 B5
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2013, 19:55 »
Could do with an answer one as soon as really guys as tomorrow is workshop Wednesday at my mates unit.

Thanks once again in advance

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2013, 20:03 »
Rear 'sway bar'?  In English?  I don't know what the set up is on the back of a 2WD A4, but my ports of call would be ARB bushes (if it has one), then pivot bushes, then top-mounts.  We saw a Golf4 last week which had horrendous knocking coming from the back, which was top mounts IIRC.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2013, 20:08 »
Rear 'sway bar'?  In English?  I don't know what the set up is on the back of a 2WD A4, but my ports of call would be ARB bushes (if it has one), then pivot bushes, then top-mounts.  We saw a Golf4 last week which had horrendous knocking coming from the back, which was top mounts IIRC.

Sorry, trailing arm. I have done the pivot bushes. There isn't an ARB on the rear of the 2wd. Had the top mount out of the near side last month when swapping the strut over and it seemed to be fine.  :undecided:

Edit: I have also given both shocks a good rattle and had a lie under when someone else rocks the car and it sounds like its coming from the trailing arm rather than the top mounts, but I could be wrong
« Last Edit: 24 September 2013, 20:12 by Sam »

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2013, 20:19 »
Ok, so after a little dig through a honda forum!? I have found that trailing arm pivot bushing bolts may seat themselves a little differently after a few hundred miles and cause knocking. They recomend loosening them off half a turn and torquing them up again. Does anyone know the torque setting for trailing arm pivot bushings on an A4 B5 Avant or can point me in the right direction as to where I should be looking?

Cheers, Sam

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2013, 10:53 »
and?  What was the outcome?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #6 on: 21 October 2013, 20:55 »
and?  What was the outcome?

Still knocking like fook  :undecided: