Author Topic: Manual Gearbox Stiff and Notchy?  (Read 18519 times)

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Manual Gearbox Stiff and Notchy?
« on: 11 February 2012, 17:44 »
Is anyone elses GTD got a really stiff manual gearbox, mine is quite bad when very cold.  Can be notchy for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.  Gets better when warm but still not perfect, like it used to be when new. 32000 miles.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline ScottA

• I live here
Re: Manual Gearbox Stiff and Notchy?
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2012, 18:13 »
Is anyone elses GTD got a really stiff manual gearbox, mine is quite bad when very cold.  Can be notchy for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.  Gets better when warm but still not perfect, like it used to be when new. 32000 miles.

Mine is similar, A3 2.0 TDI, 09 plate 30,000 miles. First is probably the worst and when cold. Not a massive problem - but not the same as it was when it was new.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2012, 19:20 »
Is that the cr engine? 2nd is the worst, have to take gearchanges really slow. 5000 miles left to service so I will moan about it when I take it in.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline ScottA

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2012, 09:29 »
Is that the cr engine? 2nd is the worst, have to take gearchanges really slow. 5000 miles left to service so I will moan about it when I take it in.

Yeah it is common rail engine mate

Offline Mr_F

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2012, 11:08 »
I've had this on all VAG diesels, even more noticeable when cold.  But after 160k on the Audi and no sign of the gearbox being an issue, I don't think you should worry!

My GTD does the same thing, you think your doing something wrong and get the odd grind even though your doing it slow, pause in nuetral a millisecond and got the clutch fully depressed.

But if they fix it, I'd be interested.....
61 Plate GTD 5dr, Shadow Blue, 18" Charleston's, Flat Tyre Indicator, Cruise Control, Bi-xenon (With Dynamic Curve), Storage Pack, Winter Pack and RCD 510.

Offline AlanH

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2012, 11:53 »
With my first GTD, the gear change was smooth as silk. On the current GTD (delivered end November last year) the gear change is much more "notchy" even when warmed up. Worst is probably from 2nd to 3rd.
Mk7 GTD | 3-door, Carbon Grey, Keyless, Dynaudio, Pano roof.

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2012, 14:14 »
My gearbox is still as smooth as silk.

No problem only the Clutch pedal pulsating/vibrating still.
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2012, 18:13 »
With my first GTD, the gear change was smooth as silk. On the current GTD (delivered end November last year) the gear change is much more "notchy" even when warmed up. Worst is probably from 2nd to 3rd.

Interesting, how many miles on the first GTD.  Mine is really getting to the point where you do feel that you are the spaz and cant drive.  When -10 temps it was barely movable.  I just wonder what a -20 gearbox would be like.  Although I cant remember it being so bad last year when it was -18.  It is getting worse.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2012, 18:14 »
My gearbox is still as smooth as silk.

I can feel the pulsating if I press the pedal about 2cms or so down.  I figured thats just the flywheel pulsing.

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2012, 18:28 »

I can feel the pulsating if I press the pedal about 2cms or so down.  I figured thats just the flywheel pulsing.

True but why do they add this annoying feature as the DMF is supposed to reduce torsional vibration not make it worse. If I had felt this on the test driver I wouldn't have ordered one.
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.