Author Topic: richie2480 - Mk2 GTi 16v  (Read 14920 times)

Offline richie2480

• GTI forum regular
richie2480 - Mk2 GTi 16v
« on: 09 February 2012, 21:30 »
Hi all, I decided late last year that I wanted my engine overhauling. It is high mileage (164000) and thought I would get it sorted before it goes drastically wrong. Well I had a look on the internet to see what options there are. I spoke to C&R but got no reply. Spoke to TSR and got a quote for the 1.9 Cadwell pack. I also spoke to a company in Reading (no name yet). I actually visited the Reading company and had a chat with the 2 guys that run the place Rob and Mark. I explained what I was after, an engine overhaul and a bit more power. I explained I was happy with top end just wanted to get there quicker. Rob has been building VW race engines for quite some time. I explained that I wanted to keep the original engine as I knew it was still running sweet. Rob explained what they would do as part of overhaul. Well I was sold. To be honest as soon as I saw how clean the workshop I was interested. Well the car has been in for just under a week now and I went up to visit today, very happy with what I saw.

1. Engine/gearbox removed.
2. Engine stripped, cleaned and inspected.
3. Cylinder head stripped, cleaned and inspected. On inspection it was noted that head gasket was on it's way out, so looks like I timed it just right
4. Bottom end will be re-bored and new pistons fitted. Original pistons no longer available so will be replaced with Mahle Pistons. Any thing else that needs replacing will be replaced.
5. Cylinder head is in process of being flowed. I am keeping standard cam shafts.
6. Once engine and cylinder head have rebuilt they will be painted. I am going to have gearbox repainted as well.
7. There is slight play on the gearbox diff output shaft so that is going to be checked and fixed.
8. Inlet manifold and rocker cover are going to be stripped, polished and lacquered. Top of rocker cover will be shaved down slightly on ribs.
9. While engine was out Rob explained that the wishbones on suspension were quite shabby so I am having new ones fitted with the seams being welded and poly bushes fitted. Rob explained they are only tack welded around sides and so dirt and water can ingress between2 halves and potentially corrode from the inside out.
10. Engine bay will get a thorough clean before refit.
11. Once everything is refitted car will go on their rolling road for tune up and final checks.

Well that's it for now. I am going back to visit again late next week some time. By that time engine should back together and ready to re-fit. Once I have car back I will leave a verdict and name.

BLOCK AFTER CLEAN AND INSPECTION

HEAD PRIOR TO CLEAN GASKET WAS JUST ON IT'S WAY OUT

HEAD AFTER CLEAN AND INSPECTION

START OF PORTING

richie1893 is online now Report Post      Edit/Delete Message
« Last Edit: 14 February 2012, 21:40 by Lewy »

Offline SimonG

• GTI forum regular
Re: Mk2 GTi 16v Engine overhaul
« Reply #1 on: 09 February 2012, 21:38 »
Excellent. once run-in expect a nice little revvy unit and it sounds like some top work is going on with your engine etc.  Did they give any indication of power and torque figures once complete?
  Mk3 Anniversary GTI 16V, Mk2 GTI

Offline richie2480

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 09 February 2012, 21:39 »
Yes, but I'm not going to quote anything till it's been on the rolling road. Numbers he gave me were quite scary though :evil:
Rob the guy who's working on my car does VW race engines. He's been working on flowing engines for years. He even showed me the cut down cylinder heads he's worked on to see what improvements he can make. He's running an old Scirroco on modified standard engine, He says he's got 200+ bhp out of her. I don't want that much power. Do I?!
« Last Edit: 09 February 2012, 21:45 by richie2480 »

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #3 on: 09 February 2012, 21:40 »
This thread is useless without pictures!!!!!   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline richie2480

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2012, 21:56 »
Pics are up. Not many to look at at the moment. Will post more as I get them.

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #5 on: 09 February 2012, 22:01 »
Pics are up. Not many to look at at the moment. Will post more as I get them.

:cool:

Looks Like nice work....

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline twotwofour

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2012, 22:17 »
What's kind of figure are you paying if you paying if you don't mind me asking?
---------------------------------------
Mk2 small bumper 16v 3dr golf gti
Mk3 5dr 8v golf gti x2
Need a mk1 gti, mk1 caddy, mk3 vr6

Offline richie2480

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2012, 23:18 »
A few bucks. Not going to commit to an answer on that one. I've given my girlfriend a price and if she sees how much I am actually paying she'll kick my arse all over the house!! :embarassed: :smug: Let's say it's not far off the quote I got off TSR for a Cadwell 16v engine and fitted. I opted for these guys because they are closer to where I live than TSR in Cornwall. If I have any problems they are an hour away.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2012, 23:27 by richie2480 »

Offline Lewy

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 February 2012, 23:26 »
Jesus Rich, 164k is naff all.  You've probably driven Rovers over the years with more miles........

.......probably on their 5th engine though. :wink:

Is this from the chaps from JTECH doing this?

Offline richie2480

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 10 February 2012, 00:28 »
Jesus Rich, 164k is naff all.  You've probably driven Rovers over the years with more miles........

.......probably on their 5th engine though. :wink:

Is this from the chaps from JTECH doing this?