Author Topic: Turbo loss  (Read 10924 times)

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Turbo loss
« on: 27 September 2006, 04:01 »
Driving home from work this morning, an unusually exuberant run. Gave it some welly, accelerating hard and the turbo suddenly cut out and I lost soooooo much power! Slowed down going up hill :shocked:
I've had this on 3 previous occasions and you can fix it by switching the ignition off and back on again. I didn't bother this morning as I was so close to home but it always seems to happen when giving it some welly. I seem to remember reading something about this problem once; something to do with a 'N75' valve :undecided:

Anyone had any experience of this?

I guess my first POA should be to scan the boxes with VAGCOM and see if any fault codes have been generated.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Turbo loss
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2006, 07:46 »
Sounds like your car is going into 'limp mode'

mate at work has this on his TDI but he can't be bothered to get it fixed! Only happens to him if he goes over 90...........

VAG COM should throw up the fault, if it doesn't could it be the MAF?  :undecided: i know they don't often thrwo up fault codes but are actually the cause of the problem  :sad:

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2006, 09:23 »
Definately not the MAF. I've changed that fairly recently and it did it before and has done it since.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2006, 09:32 »
been doing a bit more reading into this and found this over on ukmkivs.net:

Intermittent Limp mode on the diesels is often a small hole in one of the pipes under the bonnet, a symptom of this is it slowly getting worse over time and you being able to give it beans all the way to the redline yet 10 mins later motorway cruising it goes into limp mode.

You need to get it on vag-com, if its a pressure deviation message or something similar it will almost defo be a split hose somewhere

Good luck

and this too:

You'll find this is a common issue with the 110 TDIs - happened around 80mph, right? In order of expense, it'll one one of a few things...

The vacuum hoses going to the N75 boost control valve will have cracked perished (especially the small top one)
The N75 valve itself has gone
The hose between the intercooler and turbo has cracked / perished
the EGR valve and inlet manifold is clogged (although you can do this yourself - vwvotex have a good guide on it)
The vane lever on the turbo needs lubricating
The turbo needs a refurb / replacement
I would clean out the EGR valve and inlet manifold anyway as they have a habit of becoming clogged - especially if you run a remap or tuning box but more so with a tuning box.

Hope that helps

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2006, 12:12 »
Brilliant :smiley:

I think I'll try VAGCOM first and see what that throws up.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2006, 12:28 »
No worries.

Hope the problem is the least expensive one  :smiley:

Offline Mantamad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2006, 22:39 »
It happened to me about 3 months ago, nice drive home with some hard use of accelerator, slowed for a corner then wow, it switched to limp home or SDi mode. Drove home with it like this (about 2 miles) and all OK on re-starting. Never investigated any further but probably should.
Black 2002 GT TDi 130

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2006, 00:32 »
Tried to make it do it again tonight but it wouldn't do it.

It seems to be after a motorway run at a constant speed and then accelerating hard after leaving the motorway.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2006, 00:35 »
Found this article this evening, makes interesting reading and definately some food for thought:-

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=145663&highlight=n75

Offline Mantamad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2006, 23:50 »
The N75 valve is mentioned a few times there, I did find info relating to this valve when it happened to me. Planning to fit a new water pump soon and clean the EGR, will have a further look then.
Black 2002 GT TDi 130