Author Topic: Fitting EGR delete....  (Read 12476 times)

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Fitting EGR delete....
« on: 25 September 2011, 21:53 »
Will be fitting mine one night this week. What do I do with the hoses that I remove from the EGR? Just leave em dangling, tie a knot in them? I am considering the vac simplification also but wondering what I would need to do this.

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/393238.aspx

This is the guide that I will be using but do I need straight connectors as it seems like you take out alot of 'T' connectors. I think I'll be able to find all of the components to remove but am unsure of how to connect the others bits and pieces together once removed.

Would Really appreciate some help! Cheeeeeeeeersss
« Last Edit: 03 October 2011, 21:23 by scarr89 »

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Re: Fitting EGR delet
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2011, 22:13 »
Hold on...just checked my order on ebay again and the kit comes with a blanking plate. Is this blanking plate for the pipe that comes of the bottom of the EGR...

Offline Stubaru

• Not said much yet
Re: Fitting EGR delete
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2011, 09:11 »
No the blanking plate blanks off the top of the exhaust manifold where it attaches to the EGR Cooler. You remove the EGR Cooler, EGR Valve and all associated vac pipes and water hoses. As I said in the other thread with the pictures I took for you, you re-route the water hose (from the right hand side of the engine that did go to the EGR cooler) to the fitting behind the valves at the back of the engine bay.
You don't need anything extra for the vac simplification. Just pull all of the vac pipes off the 3 valves at the back and then re-use pipes that suit while following the drawings in the vac simplification thread.

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2011, 13:09 »
Pretty sure I understand it all now cool cheers Stu! Really appreciate the snaps! Giving it a crack tonight with the manifold clean as well!
So will let you know how it goes!!
Got some of this mr muscle oven cleaner as I here its good for this! What do I do? Just spray it in there, let is soak then give it a good scrapping?

Offline Stubaru

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2011, 14:16 »
Get the manifold off. Use a metal ruler or steel brush or something to scrape the hard crap out first as best you can. Then spray the Oven Cleaner in all the ports until it foams up and comes out. Leave for 20 mins or so and do it again. Keep going until you're happy really, it doesn't have to sparkle, just as long as the manifold hasn't got a layer of coal inside it anymore!

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2011, 22:40 »
Anyone...please help!

Was going well...until I took the small hose from the coolant off the top of the EGR cooler when it leaked everywhere(wasnt expecting it) plugged and thought it was just full of coolant that was leaking out. Then took the pipe of the right hand side of the cooler and coolant pissed all over the show. It eventually stopped once my coolant resevoir ran out of coolant! Is this meant to happen? I was not expecting any of that to happen..

The snaps you put up of the pipe coming out of the engine on the right hand side that originally went to the cooler does not reach to the push fitting. Am I doing this bit right, just removing the cooler and putting that pipe (right hand side of engine) on where the pipe from the bottom of the cooler went to ( the push fitting at the top centre)?
As I said it does not reach if I am doing this right, I reckon the other hose I removed will reach, but will I be able to replace this hose with out coolant or any other fluid pissing out of the right hand side of the engine?

Once I have got this sorted I am confident I can do the vac simplification and fit it all back together. But with regards to the coolant, shall I just top up and then start her up as normal? Or would I need to get coolant back into the system?

Any help would be great...sorry for the essay!

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Re: Fitting EGR delete....PLEASE HELP!
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2011, 16:41 »
I am going to join the 2 pipes with a small pipe inbetween then 2 jubilee clips, hope that will hold! Then the coolant, is it a problem that is leaked out everywhere? I am going to just top it up...please help me if I sholdn't be doing this!!

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2011, 22:50 »
Problem sorted. All back together and working very since the clean and delete fit.

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2011, 20:50 »
Just some pics of how bad it was, for some reason I didn't take pictures of all the gunk I got out, but it was significant. Car drives better now. Noticed an increase in MPG and she pulls better through the range!

This was a while back which lead me to clean my manifold and fit the delete!

Offline mikemk4gti

• I live here
Re: Fitting EGR delete....
« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2011, 20:43 »
bringing back an old-ish thread, but.....
... I've just got a 150 tdi and want to blank off the egr, not going for the allard kit yet. If I remove the vac pipe off it and blank it off will that do the job? Surely theres no need the blanking plate for aswell?

51 mk4 gti 1.8t AUM | 05 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line | 01 A3 1.8t Sport | 02 Golf 25th Anni 1.8T | 03 mk4 GTI AUQ | 05 Leon Fr TDI 150 | mk2 golf gti 8v | 01 Audi S3
Back in my old MK4 '01 AUM!
http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/400214.aspx
VagCom, VagTacho, MTE, Needles, Key coding, Locked beeps etc availab