Author Topic: 2002 GT TDI 150 Alternator  (Read 19929 times)

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
Re: 2002 GT TDI 150 Alternator
« Reply #81 on: 15 May 2010, 19:48 »
Yeeeehaaaaaaww!!

Got it done today with the help of a little lube  :laugh:

Took the alternator down to the garage he helped me out for 30 mins trying to get it off... no go, so he gave me 3 choices:

1) Heat it up, possibly kill the bearings and need a new alternator
2) New Alternator anyway
3) Put a little penetrating oil in the shaft and try again later...

For all he did, and me keeping him back 30 mins or so he didn't  even charge me :afro:

I opted for 3  :grin: Left it for an hour or so and tried again with my father in law. Got the spanner & wrench on, the father in law started tapping the spanner near the base, and after a minute or so it freed up! FML!

I'll post what I found under the pulley later this evening...  :lipsrsealed:

Got it al back together about 4 hours after getting it off, including giving it a go ourselves, taking it to the mechanic, filing down the bracket on the alternator as it just wouldn't go back  on :cry: NO more noise on full lock, oh my word it's going to be the uber now  :grin:

Let's hope I've put it all back together properly now, got a trip to Southampton tomorrow  :laugh: :lipsrsealed: I'll get a PDF made up when I have a few mins free.
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.