Author Topic: What miles did your clutch go?  (Read 11582 times)

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
Re: What miles did your clutch go?
« Reply #20 on: 15 December 2009, 15:41 »
How much was the race clutch assy & fitting?

R-Tech did it on a deal in October I think for 600ish.

EDIT -
Option 3 : £680 SACHS TDI PD Race clutch. Inc Sachs organic friction plate, pressure plate & release bearing

Down Hill From Here.

smiiithy

« Reply #21 on: 15 December 2009, 15:54 »
Ouch

How much was the race clutch assy & fitting?

R-Tech did it on a deal in October I think for 600ish.

EDIT -
Option 3 : £680 SACHS TDI PD Race clutch. Inc Sachs organic friction plate, pressure plate & release bearing

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #22 on: 15 December 2009, 17:52 »
thats cheap :wink:
southbend are meant to be very good, but work out about the same as a Sach clutch

Steve has gotten around 25K out of his standard clutch since his remap whereas mine lasted 2K before biting the dust  :sad:

almost a year since map so 34k :shocked: :shocked: 115k now :sad:

if you dont want to pay out for a clutch dont get it mapped
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

smiiithy

« Reply #23 on: 15 December 2009, 18:08 »
It's cheap for what it is. Yours seems to be doing well.

I don't mind paying for a clutch, I just want to be ready for it and know what the cheapest viable option is going to be if and when it starts to slip. Just seems like sense to consider it before getting the remap done. It doesn't make sense to pay £3k for a car and £1,250 for clutch and remap though.

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 15 December 2009, 18:11 »
dont see the point in changing it if its not slipping, might have loads of life left in it
cheapest option is a OEM one. if you are going for a upgraded one and are changing the flywheel as well its in order of price helix (SMF), Sachs (DMF), Southbend (SMF)
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 15 December 2009, 20:53 »
dont see the point in changing it if its not slipping, might have loads of life left in it
cheapest option is a OEM one. if you are going for a upgraded one and are changing the flywheel as well its in order of price helix (SMF), Sachs (DMF), Southbend (SMF)

It's called preventive maintenance :) I had the money at the time from selling the tugboat mk3

Down Hill From Here.

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 15 December 2009, 21:09 »
no need to tell me about preventive maintenance, am a maintenance fitter :tongue: although we normally do emergency maintenance  :lipsrsealed:

Ive had the money for a clutch since I had it remapped, if I was only doing 12k a year my clutch would have lasted at least 3 years

smiiithy

« Reply #27 on: 18 December 2009, 03:20 »
It looks like my clutch is slipping in the cold. I can get away with accelerating lightly but as soon as  I put my accelerator more than 1/8th down in the higher gears it begins to slip. Could this be caused by anything other than a worn clutch? It's getting serviced early next week. Ben at R-Tech tells me that the OEM Sachs clutch should be fine for the 300ftlb of the stage 1 remap. Anyone else using that? £349 fitted seems like a viable option but I'm not sure if that's including flywheel.

Cheers,

Mike
« Last Edit: 18 December 2009, 14:34 by smiiithy »

Offline asif

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 18 December 2009, 15:04 »
Is it the clutch that is good to go upto 300lbs of torque o is it the clutch? I'm confused.

If it's just the clutch that would go from too much torque then that's better than doing the clutch and flywheel as that job is in the region of £800 inc labour OUCH

I think if I got it remapped in time to come then i'd definately ask them to ease off the torque to lengthen the life of the clutch, say 290lbs?
I tak it the BHP isn;t as much of an issue for the clutch/flywheel? Is that correct or does more BHP affect that also or do they need to marry up?
MK7 GT Bluemotion Tech TDi

smiiithy

« Reply #29 on: 27 December 2009, 19:53 »
I'm thinking about fitting this one:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-BORA-SHARAN-1.9-TDI-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQitemZ220528628596QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091219?IMSfp=TL091219204001r36496
with this slave cycl:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-MK4-CLUTCH-SLAVE-CYLINDER-1.8-1.9-TD_W0QQitemZ130335925309QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20091009?IMSfp=TL091009152001r31474. I'm getting labour for 3 - 4 hours at £100.

I know the clutch is a cheap one but it comes with 2 years guarentee and I can't afford to upgrade it or remap at the moment so it will last for a year or two at least and then I can think about remaping and possibly upgrading the clutch. Can you tell me if you think the clutch should fit?