Author Topic: What miles did your clutch go?  (Read 11584 times)

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: What miles did your clutch go?
« Reply #10 on: 15 December 2009, 12:42 »
Hope you're enjoyed reading my project  :smiley:

I know Steve_PD has been looking at a company in America, think they're called South Bend or something, with regards to clutch kits

Not too sure on other clutch kits - think Helix might do one but thats with a single mass flywheel which will rattle like fook on idle  :sad:

thing with the clutch it can either last ages or go very quickly  :undecided:  it depends on the current condition which you don't know unless you strip it out

smiiithy

« Reply #11 on: 15 December 2009, 12:57 »
Yes very much so :smiley:

Well like I say I wont be replacing it unless it starts slipping but I just don't want to get 20,000 miles under my belt and find that I'm going to have to spend another £600 - £700 on a replacement clutch because then the cost of the remap and clutch will be in the region of a grand. I would have rather had a stock Mk 5 :undecided:

PS group-buy clutch kits could be an idea if enough people wanted them :huh:
« Last Edit: 15 December 2009, 12:58 by smiiithy »

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #12 on: 15 December 2009, 13:04 »
Yes very much so :smiley:

Well like I say I wont be replacing it unless it starts slipping but I just don't want to get 20,000 miles under my belt and find that I'm going to have to spend another £600 - £700 on a replacement clutch because then the cost of the remap and clutch will be in the region of a grand. I would have rather had a stock Mk 5 :undecided:

PS group-buy clutch kits could be an idea if enough people wanted them :huh:

Steve has gotten around 25K out of his standard clutch since his remap whereas mine lasted 2K before biting the dust  :sad:

Would depend on which MK5 you go for.  IMO only the 170bhp would be worth going for.  I've driven the 140bhp and there's very little in it in terms of straight line performance when my 130bhp was standard (many moons ago!).  The biggest difference between MK4 and MK5 is the handling.  The MK5 is in a different league

I think getting a discount on clutches could be difficult  :undecided:  always worth a try though  :smiley:

smiiithy

« Reply #13 on: 15 December 2009, 13:09 »
25K is still only about a years use for me though so I need to plan ahead. The way I am looking at it is the remap and clutch (if it slips) is part of the cost of the car.

I definitely can't afford the clutch you got at £900. I know you wanted the best you could find but the invoice would make me cry :cry: I got a replacement gearbox and new clutch fitted to my Clio for around £500

What about the clutch kits that R-Tech offer? Could any of these be an option?
« Last Edit: 15 December 2009, 13:14 by smiiithy »

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #14 on: 15 December 2009, 13:25 »
25K is still only about a years use for me though so I need to plan ahead. The way I am looking at it is the remap and clutch (if it slips) is part of the cost of the car.

I definitely can't afford the clutch you got at £900. I know you wanted the best you could find but the invoice would make me cry :cry: I got a replacement gearbox and new clutch fitted to my Clio for around £500

What about the clutch kits that R-Tech offer? Could any of these be an option?

The clutch kits R-tech do are more than fine as they use some of the Sachs components (think its the friction plate); I went for the friction and pressure plate as I wanted to be more than sure it would last and take the abuse  :smiley:

Also if you get them to do the remap you can always ask Nick to hold back the torque if you're a bit unsure  :smiley:  The standard clutch is good for approx 285lbs ft torque

smiiithy

« Reply #15 on: 15 December 2009, 13:49 »
In fairness I'm looking at Golfs from 75K to 140K miles so the clutch is going to need replaced sooner or later if it hasn't been already. I just want to have the £ for when it needs to be done.

Offline nadlad

• I live here
  • Building Surveyor MRICS
« Reply #16 on: 15 December 2009, 15:25 »
mines been mapped for 42k still on the original map no slipping no nothign i drive it hard too so no grandad driver, my previos golf ewas remapped for 30k and was still fine when i sold it albeit a cat C!

<<<Big Build Thread>>>

smiiithy

« Reply #17 on: 15 December 2009, 15:31 »
What milage did you get the map done and what milage arte you at now?

mines been mapped for 42k still on the original map no slipping no nothign i drive it hard too so no grandad driver, my previos golf ewas remapped for 30k and was still fine when i sold it albeit a cat C!

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 15 December 2009, 15:32 »
I replaced mine ASAP after my remap with a race clutch. Some last and some don't. Its all about how the previous owners drove it.

Down Hill From Here.

smiiithy

« Reply #19 on: 15 December 2009, 15:39 »
How much was the race clutch assy & fitting?