Author Topic: Ignition coil fitting help  (Read 2508 times)

Offline patc

• Not said much yet
Ignition coil fitting help
« on: 18 July 2011, 14:57 »
Hi, had a look through the stickies, but to no avail.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to fit a new one?  Done dizzy cap, leads & plugs and just thought I'd do this too as they're only 20 odd quid.

Thanks in advance.

PatC
PatC
Golf GTI MK3 Anniversary Edition

Offline Seanl

• I live here
Re: Ignition coil fitting help
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2011, 20:19 »
Disconnect battery negative terminal, unplug lead at coil end, undo 2 bolts using a star drive bit and recover the nuts behind the tray, fit new coil and bolt up, connect HT lead, connect battery neg terminal. Start car.  :smiley: :wink:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline patc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2011, 20:24 »
That almost sounds too easy!   :laugh:

Thanks!

Do you recommend a £20 ebay job or 35 from Euro carparts?
PatC

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2011, 11:07 »
Neither tbh. GSF/VWSpares/Volksbits/TPS are the best bet if the dealers are too expensive. Unless the seller on ebay is a decent one (tierod is good), you will get a crap one and that will probably go within a couple of months. ECP have a reputation of giving you the wrong part, especially if you have it delivered, and they have very poor customer services. You could get used one from ebay (I got one and its good if you need to confirm thats your problem), but it may not last very long also.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2011, 11:13 by Seanl »
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline patc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2011, 13:21 »
It's from Volksbits on eBay  :smiley:
PatC

Offline patc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2011, 12:36 »
Disconnect battery negative terminal, unplug lead at coil end, undo 2 bolts using a star drive bit and recover the nuts behind the tray, fit new coil and bolt up, connect HT lead, connect battery neg terminal. Start car.  :smiley: :wink:

Ok, halfway there.  How do I recover the nuts behind the tray?  Doh!
PatC

Offline patc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2011, 13:11 »
Sorted.
PatC

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #7 on: 27 July 2011, 11:58 »
Neither tbh. GSF/VWSpares/Volksbits/TPS are the best bet if the dealers are too expensive. Unless the seller on ebay is a decent one (tierod is good), you will get a crap one and that will probably go within a couple of months. ECP have a reputation of giving you the wrong part, especially if you have it delivered, and they have very poor customer services. You could get used one from ebay (I got one and its good if you need to confirm thats your problem), but it may not last very long also.

I have NEVER had any problem with ECP!
Have been using them since 1994, first for my Renault, the the Pugs and VW's since 2003.
ECP usually give you a choice of part by different sources. For electrics I try to buy Bosch.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk