Author Topic: Wazzzer - 1.8T  (Read 144636 times)

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: Wazzzer - 1.8T
« Reply #20 on: 22 January 2009, 19:41 »
one light is now assembled and finished, here is the result...

I've just got to run some more sealant round the outside to make sure it's 100% sealed from the elements

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #21 on: 14 February 2009, 21:02 »
both lights are now finished and fitted to the car and I've got to say I'm really pleased with the result

I'll get some more pics of everything I've done and how she stands art the mo when I wash it 2moro

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #22 on: 22 February 2009, 22:30 »
I decided to fit my Forge side mount intercooler today as I had a spare hour. It turned into a 4 hour job though lol

First of all I had to get the standard IC out which was an easy job once the bumper was off

A pic to compare the intercoolers

the gap in the wheel arch waiting for the Forge IC

I had to trim the plastic front panel to allow the end tank to fit

then the new intercooler showing it's face

Only problem is I broke a jubilee clip on the inlet manifold hose so I haven't been able to take it out and see if there has been any noticable difference but I'll give it a go 2moro once I get the new clip on there

I also fitted my LED indicator bulbs while the bumper was off

Here's a quick pic of the engine bay with the S3 covers fitted too

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #23 on: 20 March 2009, 14:43 »
Right then another update...

I've finished fitting and wiring in the mk5 mirrors I got a while back. They're not strictly mk5 mirrors but the mk4.5 versions found on the Brazilian Golf

Before...

After...

and the wiring...

Also wired up my other LED door pin

Next on the list is sorting the suspension out, I've got a knocking coming from the front so I need to track it down...

More updates soon  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 26 April 2009, 10:53 by Wazzzer »

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #24 on: 26 April 2009, 11:34 »
I've now fitted my new THS FR3 engine mounts. The difference is like night and day, the ride is now so smooth!

It's also got rid of my knocking which was the downpipe against the floor due to the original mounts being so sloppy. There's a slight extra vibration in the cabin on tickover but I've got used to it now and I'd rather that than all the other problems the old mounts were causing

Not many useful pics of them as they aren't that glamorous but here's a few I did for the how to.

New mount out of the box

New mount compared to old

I've also done my twin rear fog light mod, upgraded the front speakers and sorted an annoying rattling out.

I got all the new parts I needed for my K03s swap too so that will be going ahead in the near future

I'm just looking to get the service done now and save up for my R-Tech remap, I'm about half way there now!

I'm gonna try and fit the cold cathode tubes I've got the for the boot light today so I'll get some pics of that when it's done

more updates soon, keep popping back  :wink:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #25 on: 02 June 2009, 17:54 »
Just a small update, I'm having a full service done today so that's one thing out of the way

I've just bought myself a new set of front wishbones with bushes and ball joints included. I'm ditching the standard rear bush in the wishbone and changing it for a TT item as they are solid rubber as opposed to having gaps like the Golf bushes do. I've also got myself a set of Fabia VRS rear beam bushes to replace mine. Again they are solid rubber so shouldn't have as much give in them.

Standard bush vs. Fabia VRS bush

This should keep me busy over the next few weekends, I need to get the rear beam off and get it up to work to get the bushes pressed in which should be fun

I might get the turbo off at some point as well, just got to find the time to do it all!

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #26 on: 19 June 2009, 14:00 »
another update...

I have received my oil catch can to replace the complicated and basically crap system the VAG cars have as standard.

It seems to draw too much oil vapour into the intake system, resulting in a lot of oil in the intercooler and this also gums up the throttle housing. This will be ditched as soon as I have the right pipe for it

I also had a tool made at work to fit the rear beam bushes, I had to take advantage of working with some very good lathe operators

I'm just waiting for a free weekend and the offer of some help to fit all the parts taking up room in my shed now, I have to fit:

both front wishbones
K03s turbo
rear beam bushes

As soon as all this is done I'm sending my ECU off to get mapped by the boys at R-Tech  :laugh:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #27 on: 06 July 2009, 21:54 »
Just a small update, I've bought myself a new set of springs & shocks as my coilovers are too harsh for the island roads

I've also ordered new bumpstops front and rear which are the "sport" version rather than the standard items

Finished removing my PCV system and fitted my oil catch can yesterday, tried to keep it looking as stock as possible

No more oil vapour being recycled should clean the mixture up a bit

Also gave my throttle housing and butterfly a good clean up as they were caked with oil.

I'll be keeping a record of what I pull out of it

I've broken an exhaust mount so that has been ordered too.

I'll put some pics up when I get all the bits at the weekend
« Last Edit: 19 July 2009, 12:53 by Wazzzer »

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #28 on: 19 July 2009, 12:52 »
Fitted my new JOM shocks and springs today, only got to do the fronts as I had a bit of a problem getting the old ball joints off as I fitted new wishbones with TT rear bushes as well. I also used new bolts where needed as most of them must be replaced

All new dust boots, bearings, bushes and "sport" bump stops were used

and assembled

No pics of how they look yet as they will need time to settle but I'm already very happy with the feel of them, very good value for money and highly recommended

This is a pic of the solid TT bushes on the right compared to the standard voided bushes on the left

This and the new front bushes and ball joints has also contributed to the new feel while driving.

Just the ARB bushes to do up front now, followed by the rear shocks/springs and Fabia rear beam bushes which I'll hopefully do this week while I'm off

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #29 on: 20 July 2009, 11:06 »
This gives you an idea of how knackered my rear bushes were in the wishbones...

very distorted and twisted with a few splits in them too